Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Riddle101 wrote: »

Same reason Bruce didn't, they had other things on their mind.

Actually Bruce did

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andrewcollins

I saw the film, thought it wasn't as good as The Dark Knight Rises. The action scene in the beginning was good, but afterwards, the plot slowed down somewhat. I also disliked that some of the details in the movie were different from those in the comics. For example, in the movie, they say that Bane wears his mask because of the massive morphine injections he had to take from a serious injury, but in the comics, Bane wears the mask because he was the test subject of a powerful chemical that made him both smart and strong, but he had to rely on it to continue living, so he wore the mask that gave him the chemical. However, overall, it was a good movie, and I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Dunno if there's any fellow spillio's in Ireland but if not you should check out spill.com, it's a really great review site. Anyways they did a fantastic in-depth discussion on the flaws of this movie. I haven't read too much of this thread so dunno how much these topics have been covered, but main points include:

Should have been 2x2 hour movies rather than one 3 hour movie. It would have left time to develop the disintegration of gotham, (the police were trapped for months after all and it did not feel like it), and for us to witness the citizen's being terrorised, perhaps with a tip of the hat to some other villains in the process, similar to the scarecrow.

Catwoman. Not enough screen time, and her taking down bane with the bike and the cheesy quip at the end kinda lessened fearsome Bane's character, and hers.

Broken batman. We have seen two movies of batman going through the rigors and we should have seen him at the top of his game from the start. Instead it took like an hour before we saw him suit up. His fighting style was better in the previous movies, and even though he was extra broken he used no gadgetry during the fights.

How the hell did batman get back to gotham so quickly. After he escaped this "prison", which we all understand was a nice metaphor, he just appears in gotham, from the middle of the desert.

The bomb. 5 months for a bomb to go off so Bane could let batman see gotham fall apart was all well and good. But in this realistic world someone would've sent in the top army boys to try and rescue the city, or people would've tried to escape.

Everyone agreed the ending was actually very nice, the allusion to "Robin", the Alfred-Wayne sunny holiday at the end is left open to interpretation.

TL;DR: - Listen to review for some nice, intelligent discussion on the movie.

I just realised right, when Batman Wayne is climbing out the pit right, and a load of mammals fly past him. Well it turns out those mammals were bats and it turns out right, he's the "bat"-man. It just works on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

I loved the Nolan movies, but now I just can't wait to see what they'll do with the reboot. Wonder who'll be batman? O_o I think Chris Pine or Zachary Quinto from the new Star Trek movie(s) could be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Slightly off topic but:

Nolans Batman trilogy has really impressed me. The last time I enjoyed films like this was with the Lord Of The Rings. I feel I have to recognise that some way, or mark how important it was to me.

So I just bought THIS 1/6 scale lifelike Batman figure from Sideshow Collectibles. Call me crazy but this is too good to pass up!

hottoystdkrbatman9.jpeg

I did the same with the LOTR trilogy (bought a replica sword and a signed copy of the soundtrack). They have other characters from the films, Bane, Gordon, The Joker, the Tumbler, the Bat etc. Incredible detail on these models. Thought some of you might be interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Un****ing believable . World class ending

Got a round of applause in Liffey valley
    Yeah was there myself great audience in to see it, fantastic Nolan deserves an Oscar for this and it should get Best Picture. Really emotional ending as well, but satisfying!

So glad I wasnt.
    I hate it when a cinema audience acts like its a pantomime. I'm imagining all the added sound effects through-out.

The ending was not world class. It could have been, but they bottled at the last moment. "Emotional but good" - emotional is what you'd want.

An original, powerful ending: Batman dies
    A small cop out to 12a: We think he dies but it ends with Fox hearing about auto pilot
    A cheeky grin ending: The above AND we see Bruce with a mystery girl
    Complete ****ing cop out: What we got, Bruce and Cat woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Agricola wrote: »
    Where's best to see this in Dublin?

If it's been shown on the massive screen in the Savoy, I'd recommend going there. I saw The Dark Knight there, and it was amazing. Failing that screen 17 in Cineworld. I saw it on one of the smaller screens in Cineworld and I'm regretting not having taken the time to plan it better.
    The bomb. 5 months for a bomb to go off so Bane could let batman see gotham fall apart was all well and good. But in this realistic world someone would've sent in the top army boys to try and rescue the city, or people would've tried to escape.

I thought they did. They sent in that 'crack' team who were shot?

Complete ****ing cop out: What we got, Bruce and Cat woman.

You do realise that it should be open to interpretation right? Nolan would've noticed that the chances of Alfred realising his previous vision of seeing Wayne across the table in a small European cafe, catwoman being there and the three of them living happily ever after are rather slim/wishful thinking. It is more likely to have been another vision/dream of Alfred's, or one of Wayne's from the afterlife?

Under no circumstances would Warner Bros. allow Batman to die on-screen after three movies, the general populace would be pissed. Nolan got as close as he could though, the studio is happy, the fans that think he shouldn't have survived are happy, and the "happily-ever-after" fans are content in one fell swoop.

My hat goes off to you Nolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

You do realise that it should be open to interpretation right? Nolan would've noticed that the chances of Alfred realising his previous vision of seeing Wayne across the table in a small European cafe, catwoman being there and the three of them living happily ever after are rather slim/wishful thinking. It is more likely to have been another vision/dream of Alfred's, or one of Wayne's from the afterlife?

Under no circumstances would Warner Bros. allow Batman to die on-screen after three movies, the general populace would be pissed. Nolan got as close as he could though, the studio is happy, the fans that think he shouldn't have survived are happy, and the "happily-ever-after" fans are content in one fell swoop.

My hat goes off to you Nolan.

Wrong. It wasn't open to interpretation. He survived. His long stay in the prison hell and the newfound strength that got him through it helped him forgive Alfred for lying to him about Rachel. He went to that café with Selina to show Alfred that he forgave him, that he'd moved on from Batman, and that he was finally happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I thought the ending was a huge cop out tbh, although the shot with Robin was pretty cool but I really felt Nolan was pandering to the masses letting Bruce survive

I thought they did. They sent in that 'crack' team who were shot?

I think they were thinking more along the lines of the national guard being sent in, but yeah the point was emphasised that people would've tried to escape rather than rescuers being sent in to risk the entire city. They couldn't recall if the citizens knew the bomb would definitely go off, or if they just knew there was a bomb threat. If they knew it was going to go off, we maybe should've seen people at least attempting a mass exodus.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

To be fair to the writers, they put it in as a nod to the comics. There's a moment when Superman and Batman are having a conversation on a roof, Bats turns his back to Supes and when he turns back around he's gone, then Batman says the line
    Ahh well OK that makes more sense :)

Wrong. It wasn't open to interpretation.

Most people agree, like Inception before it that there is enough ambiguity left in the ending for you to come away with your own opinion of what the ending means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

The ending was original, Bruce finally got over his pain and began livin his life again. Considering the context of Bruce's life it was perfect.

The ending was original, Bruce finally got over his pain and began livin his life again. Considering the context of Bruce's life it was perfect.

Plus he didn't leave gotham without a Batman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Most people agree, like Inception before it that there is enough ambiguity left in the ending for you to come away with your own opinion of what the ending means.

There was no ambiguity. People are forcing ambiguity onto it to try to apply a different meaning to the end. The ending is on the screen, clear as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

There was no ambiguity. People are forcing ambiguity onto it to try to apply a different meaning to the end. The ending is on the screen, clear as day.

Even though there is no ambiguity, some people are shocked. I went for a 2nd time with a friend and he was pretty much blown away when I told him Bruce survived. His reasoning before I told him was that it showed him in it 5 seconds before it went off. He just couldn't get his head around that that was just the way they edited it to fool us.

So for that I'm delighted they showed Bruce and Selina at the end, otherwise people wouldn't know what to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wrong. It wasn't open to interpretation.

Most people are wrong.

There is no ambiguity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Catwoman. Not enough screen time, and her taking down bane with the bike and the cheesy quip at the end kinda lessened fearsome Bane's character, and hers.

Broken batman. We have seen two movies of batman going through the rigors and we should have seen him at the top of his game from the start. Instead it took like an hour before we saw him suit up. His fighting style was better in the previous movies, and even though he was extra broken he used no gadgetry during the fights.

How the hell did batman get back to gotham so quickly. After he escaped this "prison", which we all understand was a nice metaphor, he just appears in gotham, from the middle of the desert.
    I think you need to watch the Bane-Batman fight again as he used two gadgets!!
    As for appearing out of nowhere I think you should question the first film in that case.Its not an episode of 24 and they don't need to explain everything to the audience like putting 5 months later signs..There was a big town/city right in clear sight from the opening which he escaped.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

TonyD79 wrote: »
    As for appearing out of nowhere I think you should question the first film in that case.Its not an episode of 24 and they don't need to explain everything to the audience like putting 5 months later signs..There was a big town/city right in clear sight from the opening which he escaped.:o

Yeah i remember seeing the town/city come to think of it now.

He returned to the middle of Gotham to only to magically meet catwoman just as she finished beating up two 'bad guys' as they were about to punish a little boy for stealing a shiny red apple lol,great thought went into that scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yeah i remember seeing the town/city come to think of it now.

He returned to the middle of Gotham to only to magically meet catwoman just as she finished beating up two 'bad guys' as they were about to punish a little boy for stealing a shiny red apple lol,great thought went into that scene.

Ugh, just stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Should have been 2x2 hour movies rather than one 3 hour movie. It would have left time to develop the disintegration of gotham, (the police were trapped for months after all and it did not feel like it), and for us to witness the citizen's being terrorised, perhaps with a tip of the hat to some other villains in the process, similar to the scarecrow.

Everyone agreed the ending was actually very nice, the allusion to "Robin", the Alfred-Wayne sunny holiday at the end is left open to interpretation.

Batman did use gadgets, he throws an explosive thing at Bane "theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated!" and makes all the lights go out with that emp device he has.

People werent trying to escape as the army was keeping them in, remember if one person crosses the bridge they blow the bomb?

Bruce Wayne is a billionaire, granted he's broke in TDKR but he still would have had some kind of resources or used his wits to get back to Gotham, he is Batman after all :pac:

and the ending isnt ambiguous, like, at all. Bruce is alive and moved on, Blake has been given the go ahead and resources to pick up the mantle of Batman. if Alfred had simply nodded but we didnt see Bruce it could be ambigious but you clearly see Bruce and Selina sitting there, its not open for interpretation.

after watching the movie for the 2nd time a lot of the "plot holes" (several I pointed out myself and was since corrected on btw) arent really, they're explained, sometimes blatantly. I enjoyed it far more the 2nd time.

I agree, I was just saying (the point was raised) that him emerging from the prison and appearing in Gotham was slightly jarring. It's relatively easy to believe that with all of Wayne's wealth/connections/mental faculties that he could get back to Gotham.

krudler wrote: »
    Batman did use gadgets, he throws an explosive thing at Bane "theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated!" and makes all the lights go out with that emp device he has.

People werent trying to escape as the army was keeping them in, remember if one person crosses the bridge they blow the bomb?

Yes, apart from those two instances the majority of any fight scenes Batman used his fists and only his fists. In the previous to movies he was swooping, diving and flipping with crazy bat kicks, using the blades in his armour, his little metal bat blades etc., he was much more ninja-like. I don't know if Nolan purposefully changed his fighting style, but you would think if he was broken and couldn't fight properly, he would be using ninja-gadgetry more so than any other movie, rather than the polar opposite. The interesting point was made that he was suicidal, and potentially rushed in to danger delibrately.

Yup the no escaping thing works better if the citizens didn't know the bomb would inevitably go off, which they probably didn't.

Come on now, it was pure suger coated. Original would have been letting Bruce die

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Come on now, it was pure suger coated. Original would have been letting Bruce die

No it wouldnt, it would have been depressing, this way its bittersweet, the movie is about Bruce's journey, he finally lets go and moves on from being Batman, which he wanted to do in TDK with Dent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Original??....there are loads of movies where the heroes die.

krudler wrote: »
    No it wouldnt, it would have been depressing, this way its bittersweet, the movie is about Bruce's journey, he finally lets go and moves on from being Batman, which he wanted to do in TDK with Dent.

I felt they should have killed him. But instead they pandered to the masses and gave the hollywood popcorn ending. I thought Nolan should have killed him, but hey, that's an opinion

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Original??....there are loads of movies where the heroes die.

Name me a comic book film where the lead character dies. It was a typical hollywood hogwash ending where you think for a second he may have died only for him to emerge alive

Advertisement