Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Do people think that the film would have better if they added scenes to cover the holes, like a scene with Bruce's accountant regarding various worldwide bank accounts? Grant a few things were a bit ridiculous like Bruce recovering from injuries but I thought a lot of the "holes" disappeared with a bit of thinking.
    On another note, I've very tempted to go see it again. Does it really get better with the second viewing.

Yes, going for my 3rd tomorrow. Most of everybodies problems with the movie plotholes are actually covered in the movie. I thought there were loads of plot holes after my first viewing, on the second viewing i was able to focus more on the events i felt were weak but it was only weak as i overlooked many things the first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Turtyturd wrote: »
    To be fair if you are missing stuff like that the movie isn't the problem.

i didn't miss this stuff, it wasn't in the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

My ultimate thought on the movie was that it was all very dull.

I loved BB and was a huge critic of TDK and this film was definitely a huge change of pace. I can overlook the obvious plot issues/conflicts but as a whole the film had no real pacing to the story.

It had a very long beginning, no middle, and then an end crammed into the last ten minutes.
    A major problem with TDK was that the story constantly jumped from one dramatic crisis to another, whereas TDKR just stumbled clumsily around the core crisis of a madman with a nuke - a very weak crisis for a Batman film.

And then that brings me to Bane. I think he was a poor decision for an enemy and it was really difficult to feel any threat from him, not just because of his mask and hammy voice, but his intentions were cloudy and why he did much of what he did was not made particularly clear.

Selina Kyle had great potential but was very under-utilised. Gary Oldman didn't feature much either and far too much time was devoted to Banes back story. Hans Zimmer churned out another disappointing recycled score and the film was hugely lacking in Batman.

The highlight for me was Batmans short lived return scene from the start and their decision to drop the Bat-voice.

And with this trilogy allegedly concluded, I'm left with the opinion that Michael Cains Alfred was the best character throughout, he was the only character that consistently delivered a top performance and the only character with some actually provocative and thoughtful dialogue.

I thought the music was very good in this movie also there was no James Newton Howard so maybe that's why it lacked in your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Will there be any plans for a Directors cut box set ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

nix wrote: »
    Yes, going for my 3rd tomorrow. Most of everybodies problems with the movie plotholes are actually covered in the movie. I thought there were loads of plot holes after my first viewing, on the second viewing i was able to focus more on the events i felt were weak but it was only weak as i overlooked many things the first time around.

Ah class, I'm really tempted to see it again.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

al28283 wrote: »
    i didn't miss this stuff, it wasn't in the movie

Look dude, it's fine that you didn't like the movie. I REALLY liked it and liked it just as much the second time!

There are definitely flaws! The first 40 mins or so were drawn out, i'd have prefered Wayne die in the end but I realise that in the context of the entire 3 movie narrative you couldn't kill him. These are just 2 of the flaws!

But to be raising things that show either that you weren't paying attention to the movie or which show that you are just unable to suspend your disbelief a little in a movie about a guy who dresses up as a giant Bat who fights crime doesn't mean you are raising flaws in the movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Will there be any plans for a Directors cut box set ?

No, the theatrical cut is the director's cut. Nolan doesn't do extended cuts. There's practically no deleted scenes to add back in anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I get the impression here that the movie industry needed this to be a huge success no matter what the product was like.
    The media played their part with the over hyping with stories of standing ovations at screenings & early 5 star reviews.
    The small minority of reviewers who told the truth have raised their stock considerably in my estimation.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/reviews/?sort=rotten

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I get the impression here that the movie industry needed this to be a huge success no matter what the product was like............

Care to elaborate on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I get the impression here that the movie industry needed this to be a huge success no matter what the product was like.
    The media played their part with the over hyping with stories of standing ovations at screenings & early 5 star reviews.
    The small minority of reviewers who told the truth have raised their stock considerably in my estimation.

I thought there was definitely a certain amount of critical fear surrounding the film, and who can blame them when the first bad review was met with death threats by some nutjobs

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I thought there was definitely a certain amount of critical fear surrounding the film, and who can blame them when the first bad review was met with death threats by some nutjobs

Isn't is mental that people want a movie they haven't seen yet to be good so much that they will threaten to kill a person who says they don't like it.......... the mentality of that is mind-boggling!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Or, possibly, that a majority of the critics actually liked the film, as did a more than considerable percentage on here and elsewhere? Can't say I've seen any evidence of critical manipulation myself. Heck, Harry Knowles - Mr. 'Give me a mug and I'll give you a good review' himself - disliked the film, so if you can't sell off the worst critics, you won't be able to sell off the best. The majority of the reviews have been balanced - acknowledging the flaws (and the actual flaws, not the made-up ones doing the rounds on the internet) while praising the strengths. Whether overall the opinion has been positive or negative? Well that's up to each individual to decide for themselves.

A film has split opinion - this is neither the first or the last time it happened. It really, really isn't anymore complicated than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just because it agrees your opinion, it doesn't make it the truth.

And also, many of the positive reviews on RT have acknowledged problems and criticisms of the movie so it's a bit simplistic to look at it like that. Some of the early hype was over the top though.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I just have a question,when Bruce Wayne slips back into the Gotham,how does he know where Selina is or to meet her on the bridge? I think i missed a few small bits in this movie,just trying to piece it together!

I just have a question,when Bruce Wayne slips back into the Gotham,how does he know where Selina is or to meet her on the bridge? I think i missed a few small bits in this movie,just trying to piece it together!

I've been paying attention to your posting of questions in this thread and I have a question for you......

Did you spend the entire movie outside on the phone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It would have been fairly easy to blend in til he found her. Plus, she'd made the deal with Bane earlier in the film. It makes sense that she'd join forces with him.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I've been paying attention to your posting of questions in this thread and I have a question for you......

I am sorry i wont ask another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

MrStuffins wrote: »

The poor fella had the scutters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Or, possibly, that a majority of the critics actually liked the film, as did a more than considerable percentage on here and elsewhere? Can't say I've seen any evidence of critical manipulation myself. Heck, Harry Knowles - Mr. 'Give me a mug and I'll give you a good review' himself - disliked the film, so if you can't sell off the worst critics, you won't be able to sell off the best. The majority of the reviews have been balanced - acknowledging the flaws (and the actual flaws, not the made-up ones doing the rounds on the internet) while praising the strengths. Whether overall the opinion has been positive or negative? Well that's up to each individual to decide for themselves.

A film has split opinion - this is neither the first or the last time it happened. It really, really isn't anymore complicated than that.

Well if you were part of the conspiracy you'd say that, wouldn't you? :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CL7 wrote: »
    Well if you were part of the conspiracy you'd say that, wouldn't you? :cool:

In the interests of full disclosure:

I was contacted by Warner Bros. via PM in the days preceding release and told that if I said nice things about the film on boards.ie they'd stop remaking perfectly fine Korean films for at least three months.

I stand by my decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

I am sorry i wont ask another question.

I think he just went to her neighbourhood. He knew her house as he was in it earlier on in the movie.

MJ23 wrote: »
    The poor fella had the scutters

I had the what?

I had the what?

The Brad Pitts!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think he just went to her neighbourhood. He knew her house as he was in it earlier on in the movie.

She probably had a reputation in that neighbourhood, when she said to the 2 guys something like "stay out of my neighbourhood" or whatever it was that's when I knew because they said it. I assumed Bruce being the really smart super detective that we've seen in the previous 6 odd hours of movies wouldn't have had too much trouble tracking her down.

next silly question please :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Tom hardy is a ride.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Liam O wrote: »
    She probably had a reputation in that neighbourhood, when she said to the 2 guys something like "stay out of my neighbourhood" or whatever it was that's when I knew because they said it. I assumed Bruce being the really smart super detective that we've seen in the previous 6 odd hours of movies wouldn't have had too much trouble tracking her down.

:confused:

I already answered his question.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

:confused:

I already answered his question.

Last part was more of a general statement, not directed at you at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

CavanCrew wrote: »
    Tom hardy is a ride.

That is all.

Oh the nitpickers are going to have a field day with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Liam O wrote: »

How come when the cops finally emerge from the sewers after 3 months they are still wearing their uniforms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

How come when the cops finally emerge from the sewers after 3 months they are still wearing their uniforms?

they didnt like the clothese Bane's men sent them, I mean pastel colours in an underground environment?

Advertisement