Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Liam O wrote: »
    She probably had a reputation in that neighbourhood, when she said to the 2 guys something like "stay out of my neighbourhood" or whatever it was that's when I knew because they said it.

That's also a nod to Batman: No Man's Land where the city is cut of and each hero/villain has their own territory. I'm nearly sure a scene identical to the one with the kid and apple happens in the comic, not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

I really enjoyed the movie. Really liked Bane too. The only thing I didn't enjoy was Bale's ridiculous voice as Batman. Extremely annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How come when the cops finally emerge from the sewers after 3 months they are still wearing their uniforms?

They have pride in their uniform and the work they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Was watching this in the cinema today. There was a man with a six year old girl behind where I was sitting. When Batman died she started roaring crying and her father had to take her out of the cinema. She'll never got to see that he made it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Galvasean wrote: »
    Was watching this in the cinema today. There was a man with a six year old girl behind where I was sitting. When Batman died she started roaring crying and her father had to take her out of the cinema. She'll never got to see that he made it...

Why would anyone bring a 6 year old to this film?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

lol.......................when I was that age I'm not sure I would have known what was happening or understood much in a film like that....you sure she wasn't either bored and frustrated or a bit scared

no no honey the big stupid batman is just a big old fakey trousers...yes he is...yes he is

there, you see he had the autopilot fixed all along...there, there yes he did

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's also a nod to Batman: No Man's Land where the city is cut of and each hero/villain has their own territory. I'm nearly sure a scene identical to the one with the kid and apple happens in the comic, not sure though.

Yes that was a great story. Would have liked it, if they did a two part movie where the second one sees Gotham carved up by various villians, Bane, Scarecrow and Joker(new actor), fighting over territory, while Gordon and the police department do all they can to save Gotham.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I saw that girl outside the cinema actually.

She wanted to know how Bruce Wayne got back to Gotham after escaping the prison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

"but daaaaaaaaaaad, surely the cops would have had full beards coming out of the tunnel. waaaaaaaaaa"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Turtyturd wrote: »
    They have pride in their uniform and the work they do.

You haven't answered the question.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

There's another thing that annoyed me.
    3,000 cops were sealed in by a stack of cars & rubble but one shot from the batpod cannon opens the tunnel.
    Not exactly the Chilean miners were they.
    If only some of the SWAT police possessed small explosive devices, eh ???.
    What would have been even easier if these sewers had escape hatches at regularly spaced intervals, lets call them manholes, mad idea, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    There's another thing that annoyed me.
    3,000 cops were sealed in by a stack of cars & rubble but one shot from the batpod cannon opens the tunnel.
    Not exactly the Chilean miners were they.
    If only some of the SWAT police possessed small explosive devices, eh ???.
    What would have been even easier if these sewers had escape hatches at regularly spaced intervals, lets call them manholes, mad idea, I know.

The 3000 cops were sealed underground. The tunnel was sealed with cars to keep the city cut off. Any attempt to unblock the tunnel and gain access would have resulted in the bomb being triggered early. Also, all ways in and out of the tunnels were being monitored by Banes henchmen. Any attempt to get in and out of these would have resulted in the cop(s) being shot on sight. Look at what happened Blake's partner when he tried to get out.

You haven't answered the question.

With regard to beards and unifroms (:rolleyes:), we seen the cops getting deliveries handed to them by the LOS and Bane whilst they were underground. I'm assuming that these would have contained food, water, medical supplies and basic hygene products. No excuse for not shaving. Also, a few of the cops do have stubble and 5 o'clock shadows when they charge down Main street.

The uniform thing might be that a)they did not receive any other clothes whilst down there - plausible as I don't think the LOS were going to keep them in kitted out in new jeans and nikes for the duration or b)they were still Gotham Police Officers and technically still on duty when they got out and they didn't have the chance to go home and dust of the Sunday Best spare uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I watched it again yesterday. It was nice to see that it still seems to be filling cinema screens.

Overall, I think I enjoyed it more the second time around, but once I was up to speed on where the plot was going, some other small issues (for me) popped up.

One in particular is the extremely clunky scene between Selina Kyle and Daggett, where she's looking for the "Clean Slate program".

Kyle: "Where is it?"
    Daggett: "Oh, you mean the clean slate program? The one which can be used to erase your past? The program which you can use to type in your name, and then have it remove all criminal, civil, and legal records of your existence? The program which would then allow you to escape and start a fresh new life? Is that what you're asking?"

Such horrible expositionary "movie dialogue"!

Which is made worse by some rather awesome bits like Bane's conversation with Wayne in the pit.

Plus, Liam Neeson "fading away" reminded me of Yoda's death or something. Not very Nolanesque.

I still thoroughly enjoyed the film however, and it's still my 3rd favourite of this trilogy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Daggett clearly says that dialogue in a sarcastic tone of voice, followed by "sound a bit too good to be true?" He's mocking Selina, as he does throughout their encounter. Yes, it's exposition, but everyone complaining about it is misrepresenting how it's delivered in the film. I find it no more problematic than some of the extremely awkward exposition in Begins involving the microwave emitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

phil1nj wrote: »
    With regard to beards and unifroms (:rolleyes:), we seen the cops getting deliveries handed to them by the LOS and Bane whilst they were underground. I'm assuming that these would have contained food, water, medical supplies and basic hygene products. No excuse for not shaving. Also, a few of the cops do have stubble and 5 o'clock shadows when they charge down Main street.

The uniform thing might be that a)they did not receive any other clothes whilst down there - plausible as I don't think the LOS were going to keep them in kitted out in new jeans and nikes for the duration or b)they were still Gotham Police Officers and technically still on duty when they got out and they didn't have the chance to go home and dust of the Sunday Best spare uniform.

It was snowing and the river was frozen so if the only thing they had to wear was their uniform they would have died of hypothermia. It's an insult to the viewer to think that after 3 months underground the cops came out looking exactly the way they went in.

It was snowing and the river was frozen so if the only thing they had to wear was their uniform they would have died of hypothermia. It's an insult to the viewer to think that after 3 months underground the cops came out looking exactly the way they went in.

Hmmmm, blankets maybe or that tinfoil-y stuff they give people to keep them warm after races? Own many GCPD uniforms do you? To be able to comment on their usefullness against the effects of underground cold and damp in the manner you did above? You're obviously a very tough audience to please so I won't even attempt to try and make excuses for Mr. Nolan's ****e film making. And it was 5 months underground btw (out of the way of the elements). Jesus..........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Or maybe it's because it doesn't f*cking matter. All this can easily be explained by Gordon/Blake etc sending them supplies. Done. Not an insult to the viewers, but something which is so unimportant that it wasn't worth doing anything about.

How come in Dark Knight when Joker robs the bank did none of the other school buses who clearly seen a bus drive out of a bank and the police coming did none of them stop their bus? When Joker and his men were in the funeral for the previous Commissioner, why did no other policemen notice one guy with huge scars, and others who they didn't know? Why did Gordon have to drive all the way to save Rachel Dawes? Wouldn't there have been police closer on patrol?

Seriously, does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

One in particular is the extremely clunky scene between Selina Kyle and Daggett, where she's looking for the "Clean Slate program".

Kyle: "Where is it?"
    Daggett: "Oh, you mean the clean slate program? The one which can be used to erase your past? The program which you can use to type in your name, and then have it remove all criminal, civil, and legal records of your existence? The program which would then allow you to escape and start a fresh new life? Is that what you're asking?"

Such horrible expositionary "movie dialogue"!

Have to say, this irked me too!

The idea of the Clean Slate also was just WAY too convenient for a universe like Nolan's Gotham!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

But what should they have been wearing? whatever about not looking unkempt but they didnt exactly have clothes shops in a tunnell, and I doubt Bane had police officers appearance on his mind. once Batman breaks them out they go straight to the assualt on Bane as the sun is just coming up, they were hardly gonna go home and change into something more combat friendly first.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    But what should they have been wearing? whatever about not looking unkempt but they didnt exactly have clothes shops in a tunnell, and I doubt Bane had police officers appearance on his mind. once Batman breaks them out they go straight to the assualt on Bane as the sun is just coming up, they were hardly gonna go home and change into something more combat friendly first.

It would have been considerably warmer underground too, even in winter, besides Bane clearly wanted them to stay alive, it's not much of a stretch to think the supplies included stuff to keep them warm. The shot of them lowering stuff down to them was all the exposition that was needed, maybe a henchman should have read out the contents and had one of the cops sign off on it just to make it extra clear for everyone or something.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It would have been considerably warmer underground too, even in winter, besides Bane clearly wanted them to stay alive, it's not much of a stretch to think the supplies included stuff to keep them warm. The shot of them lowering stuff down to them was all the exposition that was needed, maybe a henchman should have read out the contents and had one of the cops sign off on it just to make it extra clear for everyone or something.

razors, check. daily exfoliant: check. freshly pressed uniforms, check. snuggies, check.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Have to say, this irked me too!

The idea of the Clean Slate also was just WAY too convenient for a universe like Nolan's Gotham!

Well; it wasn't even that for me. If they invented an unlimited source of free energy, I can get on board with the clean slate thing. This has nothing to do with plot-holes or contrivances.

It was just the way that the info was delivered that bothered me. Daggett may as well have been looking at the camera / audience while explaining that bit. A little bit of re-working on that would have helped.
    That kind of heavy-handed storytelling happens elsewhere in the film too, and I'm surprised that the odd interaction like that wasn't slightly more polished in the final product.

In another Nolan film; "Memento" for example, it's quite natural for the main character to ask all manner of questions and cleanly deliver it to the audience in a logical way.

In the TDKR scene above; it felt to me like calling into the kitchen to ask your Dad where the t.v. remote is, and having him answer with: "Do you mean the portable device which can be used to change the channel on the television in order to help you choose something you'd prefer to watch?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I thought the music was very good in this movie also there was no James Newton Howard so maybe that's why it lacked in your view.

No, I mean it was lacking in Batman...as in, there was very little Batman in this Batman movie.

As for the score, I wasn't saying that it was lacking, I said that it was recycled. HZ always reuses and reuses the same score.
    It was brilliant the first time I heard it, not so much the twelve times I've heard it since.

Well; it wasn't even that for me. If they invented an unlimited source of free energy, I can get on board with the clean slate thing. This has nothing to do with plot-holes or contrivances.

It was just the way that the info was delivered that bothered me. Daggett may as well have been looking at the camera / audience while explaining that bit. A little bit of re-working on that would have helped.
    That kind of heavy-handed storytelling happens elsewhere in the film too, and I'm surprised that the odd interaction like that wasn't slightly more polished in the final product.

In another Nolan film; "Memento" for example, it's quite natural for the main character to ask all manner of questions and cleanly deliver it to the audience in a logical way.

In the TDKR scene above; it felt to me like calling into the kitchen to ask your Dad where the t.v. remote is, and having him answer with: "Do you mean the portable device which can be used to change the channel on the television in order to help you choose something you'd prefer to watch?"

Yeah there was a couple of scenes like that. I didn't mind the one with Dagget so much since he was mocking her but the part where Lucious Fox was explaining the bomb to the CIA agents was very clunky, he'd say something technical(ish) then blake would repeat every line in a more simpler fashion.

Having said that, Nolan has been guilty of this kind of thing before, Inception was a big culprit of it.

No, I mean it was lacking in Batman...as in, there was very little Batman in this Batman movie.

As for the score, I wasn't saying that it was lacking, I said that it was recycled. HZ always reuses and reuses the same score.
    It was brilliant the first time I heard it, not so much the twelve times I've heard it since.

There are new themes in it tho, same as any franchise, use the same motif but add to it, the scores for all three are different with similar themes I like all of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Penn wrote: »
    How come in Dark Knight when Joker robs the bank did none of the other school buses who clearly seen a bus drive out of a bank and the police coming did none of them stop their bus? When Joker and his men were in the funeral for the previous Commissioner, why did no other policemen notice one guy with huge scars, and others who they didn't know? Why did Gordon have to drive all the way to save Rachel Dawes? Wouldn't there have been police closer on patrol?
    Also funny how people pedantically complain about Bruce getting back to Gotham but don't seem to take issue with him f***ing using every cellphone in gotham as a radar in TDK! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

krudler wrote: »
    There are new themes in it tho, same as any franchise, use the same motif but add to it, the scores for all three are different with similar themes I like all of them

I get that the scores between the three Batman movies would carry alot of similarities, but even between different films, his scores as horribly similar.
    Watch Gladiator or Pirates of the Caribbean and you'll see what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

e_e wrote: »
    Penn wrote: »
    Also funny how people pedantically complain about Bruce getting back to Gotham but don't seem to take issue with him f***ing using every cellphone in gotham as a radar in TDK! :pac:
    I know it's completly absurb the amount of nit picking to this film, it's as if a vast majority of people was gunning for this film to fail. All I can say is I won't be going near the hobbit thread after the way this thread decended into mush. The dark knight rises was a great film simple as that and for anyone to call it a bad movie is just plain nonsense. At the end of the day it's a comic book movie and was faithfull to it's source and was an 8 out of 10 movie that pleased most fans. Bravo Nolan I hope he gets the oscar for making the greatest triology of this generation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ricero wrote: »
    I know it's completly absurb the amount of nit picking to this film, it's as if a vast majority of people was gunning for this film to fail. All I can say is I won't be going near the hobbit thread after the way this thread decended into mush. The dark knight rises was a great film simple as that and for anyone to call it a bad movie is just plain nonsense. At the end of the day it's a comic book movie and was faithfull to it's source and was an 8 out of 10 movie that pleased most fans. Bravo Nolan I hope he gets the oscar for making the greatest triology of this generation

I don't know if it's people gunning for the film to fail, more so people's own expectations after the first two just amplifies any small thing they noticed and turns it into something big.

Advertisement