Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Look mate do a bit of research,will you?

post the link to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 YoungTrouble

It is not my job to go searching around the internet just to educate you.

Google it.

Google it.

back under your bridge

al28283 wrote: »
    back under your bridge

Classic ignorant poster.

Lose an argument so accuse the person who has just trumped you of being a troll.

:cool:
    Classic ignorant poster.

Lose an argument so accuse the person who has just trumped you of being a troll.

:rolleyes:
    nah, it was a quick look at your posts that gave you away. And your talk of stuff that didnt happen. Not so subtle

• Advertisement

:cool:

nah, it was a quick look at your posts that gave you away. And your talk of stuff that didnt happen. Not so subtle

I got news for ya pal.I have been a Batman fan since I was a wee lad.

I hate blow ins like you who have not ever read a comic.

I got news for ya pal.I have been a Batman fan since I was a wee lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Still don't understand how people are coming to the conclusion that there was an "inception" style ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Does the Beano count?

Still don't understand how people are coming to the conclusion that there was an "inception" style ending.

well in this case it's just a guy hoping to start an argument or get a reaction. But I think generally it was a case of younger fans who were a little over enthusiastic in their Nolan/Batman fandom and kinda wanted it to be an open ending. It is kinda a cool idea after all, it just didn't happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Google it.

because it doesnt exist, he never said it.

Where were all you fans when I was soldiering in the 90s watching crap like Batman and Robin,crying salty tears into my popcorn,surrounded by the stark emptiness of the theater.WHERE THE **** WERE YOU?

krudler wrote: »
    because it doesnt exist, he never said it.

krudler, you've been around long enough to know not to feed his sort;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Where were all you fans when I was soldiering in the 90s watching crap like Batman and Robin,crying salty tears into my popcorn,surrounded by the stark emptiness of the theater.WHERE THE **** WERE YOU?

right there as well?

krudler wrote: »
    right there as well?
    There was nipples on the batsuit.NIPPLES.

Now do you understand why I am angry?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Alright, nothing to see here. The troll has been banned. Back on topic please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I hear Bane had a bit of his origin story cut from TDKR. I watched Se7en today, and seeing the antagonist's showing in the film, I can't help thinking Bane wouldn't have been better if he got the same kind of treatment - i.e. keep more mystery about his backstory, instead of fleshing out his character and becoming a tragic figure. Set up the premise and off he goes - I would've been fine with 'he's from the LoS to finish what Raas started' but they devote a lot of screen time in what essentially makes him far less cool. I'll allude to the Star Wars prequels making Darth Vader much less cool, his backstory makes him a more tragic villain. The prequels didn't do Vader any favours. Do you think Bane could've benefited from less character development?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,690 ✭✭✭✭Penn

mikemac1 wrote: »
    No need to see Wayne in the cafe, just a subtle nod from Alfred and end it right there.

I'm in two minds about it. On one hand, I agree that Alfred's nod is enough. With that slight nod and smile, it's clear that Bruce is alive.

On the other hand though, you kinda do need to show Bruce because firstly, it's the only way to show that he's with Selina. It's a way to bring her story to a close too. Both her and Bruce managed to make a clean start. Secondly, if it was the ending to one film, Alfred's nod would be enough. But this is the ending to a trilogy. Seeing what Bruce has been through over 3 films spanning most of his life, one final shot of him smiling, happy... You kinda do need to see it. It's the ending Batman in all other media has never really had. An actual end to Bruce Wayne's story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

well in this case it's just a guy hoping to start an argument or get a reaction. But I think generally it was a case of younger fans who were a little over enthusiastic in their Nolan/Batman fandom and kinda wanted it to be an open ending. It is kinda a cool idea after all, it just didn't happen
    It's borne out of what Alfred said earlier to Bruce about his fantasy. Personally I think Bruce lives but all the same, I'm getting tired of the constant attitude and condescendsion in your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

b1ca28_3930481.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Anyone else read this in Father Ted's voice?

Bane 2012: Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!

Bane 1997: nnrrgghhh... Monkey wooorrkkkkk....

I can't stop thinking about how good Tom Hardy was as Bane. The voice, demeanor and his speeches are the opposite of what you'd imagine from looking at him, yet it never feels out of place. An amazing take on the character. I think his performance is right up there with Ledger's Joker. Both unbelievably good performances, yet in completely different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I hear Bane had a bit of his origin story cut from TDKR. I watched Se7en today, and seeing the antagonist's showing in the film, I can't help thinking Bane wouldn't have been better if he got the same kind of treatment - i.e. keep more mystery about his backstory, instead of fleshing out his character and becoming a tragic figure.
    That's pretty much how they did it with Ledgers joker though, so doing it two films in a row would have been hairy.

Penn wrote: »
    I'm in two minds about it. On one hand, I agree that Alfred's nod is enough. With that slight nod and smile, it's clear that Bruce is alive.

On the other hand though, you kinda do need to show Bruce because firstly, it's the only way to show that he's with Selina. It's a way to bring her story to a close too. Both her and Bruce managed to make a clean start. Secondly, if it was the ending to one film, Alfred's nod would be enough. But this is the ending to a trilogy. Seeing what Bruce has been through over 3 films spanning most of his life, one final shot of him smiling, happy... You kinda do need to see it. It's the ending Batman in all other media has never really had. An actual end to Bruce Wayne's story.

As well as that the existing ending has people questioning it, imagine what it would be like if there'd just been a nod. :pac:

As well as that the existing ending has people questioning it, imagine what it would be like if there'd just been a nod. :pac:

I'd actually say that if they didn't show Bruce, more people would know Bruce was really there. By showing Bruce, people are second guessing it thinking it must have been a dream. Some people are looking for a clever ending when really, it's just an ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Another reason why I don’t think Nolan would have ended in ambiguity would be that people would accuse him of copying Inception and his movies would then carry a sense of expectation regarding how they would end a la M Night Shamalamadingdong.

I'd actually say that if they didn't show Bruce, more people would know Bruce was really there. By showing Bruce, people are second guessing it thinking it must have been a dream. Some people are looking for a clever ending when really, it's just an ending.

Any kind of ambiguity would have been read into. God knows what they would come up with, something about it being a nod to the audience or even that he was just accepting Bruce's death and felt that he had "moved on" in a sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

I can't stop thinking about how good Tom Hardy was as Bane. The voice, demeanor and his speeches are the opposite of what you'd imagine from looking at him, yet it never feels out of place. An amazing take on the character. I think his performance is right up there with Ledger's Joker. Both unbelievably good performances, yet in completely different ways.

This is exactly what I have been saying since I saw it! Have seen it twice already. Picked up a bit more the second time around :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Just seen it. Probably my least favourite of Nolan's films, I seem to like each one less than the previous.:(

My main problem was not enough Batman! I didn't really find Gordon or Robin that interesting. I mean, it's nice they have a classy ensemble and all but gawd could they not have sent Skippy or something to haul Batman out of that well a bit sooner?

I also thought Bane was a poor villain. The hilariousness of his voice really diminished any menace he had. It was so posh! Like maybe a drunken impression of a Tom Waits/Sir Digby Chicken Caesar hybrid. Though, the cinema I was in obviously had a good sound system because I didn't have many problems understanding him. I did find the score really overbearing though.

I kinda wish Catwoman had been the main antagonist instead. She was fun and I thought her bit of how can you live so large and leave so little for the rest of us would've been a more interesting central conflict than gravelly-voice-gravelly-voice-league-of-shadows-balance-false hope-muscles-muscles.

Also, where were the women? Even in crowd scenes. It was kind of odd. Were there any women police officers? I think I caught a glimpse of a few during a speech or something but I can't recall any during the riots or down in the tunnels. There were even no girl orphans. In Gotham City, unless you're a sexy thief or a devious femme fatale, ladies obviously stay indoors. Nolan obviously isn't that concerned with women and that's fine but I think it does stick out a little in this day and age.

And the ending, with the nuclear bomb going off maybe 50 miles off the coast of the city, is that really that great of a victory? Instead of an instant death, the Gothamites can look forward to poisoned seas and cancer and all with no Batman (unless he comes back from his holidays). Hey maybe Bane's plan did work out after all!

Oh well, I know I'm in a minority since the crowd I saw it with loved it- there was even a round of applause at the end! But silver linings, as with Inception I'm loving all the discussion that goes with the film even if I didn't enjoy it myself.:)

Advertisement