Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I honestly dont see the issues people have with Bain, he was made to be Batmans match both mentally and physically. His voice is great if ya ask me, a bit surprising at first, but of course, it always was going to be unless they made him sound like Vadar. It also makes him come off as alot more intelligent than he looks..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think Bane was the best possible choice for the villain. I think Tom Hardy nailed the voice perfectly to give an aura of debonair and menace.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love Bane's voice, it would have been easy to do a gruff typical big dude voice, the way it is now is cool, and different.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭itchy elbows

couldnt wait for this, and really enjoyed it, i thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt stole the show, banes voice anoyed me i have to say, it just seemed to be louder than than everything else in the film, plastered over everything, was really impressed with his right hand man Josh Stewart who wrecked my head the whole way threw the film trying to think what id seen him in ( criminal minds), nolan sure does know how to get a great cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Just going by the animated series, Bane never sounded like a tough guy. It was actually quite restrained, sophisticated and matter of fact....just like Tom played it in other words, albeit not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

SVG wrote: »
    Just seen it. Probably my least favourite of Nolan's films, I seem to like each one less than the previous.:(

My main problem was not enough Batman! I didn't really find Gordon or Robin that interesting. I mean, it's nice they have a classy ensemble and all but gawd could they not have sent Skippy or something to haul Batman out of that well a bit sooner?

I also thought Bane was a poor villain. The hilariousness of his voice really diminished any menace he had. It was so posh! Like maybe a drunken impression of a Tom Waits/Sir Digby Chicken Caesar hybrid. Though, the cinema I was in obviously had a good sound system because I didn't have many problems understanding him. I did find the score really overbearing though.

I kinda wish Catwoman had been the main antagonist instead. She was fun and I thought her bit of how can you live so large and leave so little for the rest of us would've been a more interesting central conflict than gravelly-voice-gravelly-voice-league-of-shadows-balance-false hope-muscles-muscles.

Also, where were the women? Even in crowd scenes. It was kind of odd. Were there any women police officers? I think I caught a glimpse of a few during a speech or something but I can't recall any during the riots or down in the tunnels. There were even no girl orphans. In Gotham City, unless you're a sexy thief or a devious femme fatale, ladies obviously stay indoors. Nolan obviously isn't that concerned with women and that's fine but I think it does stick out a little in this day and age.

And the ending, with the nuclear bomb going off maybe 50 miles off the coast of the city, is that really that great of a victory? Instead of an instant death, the Gothamites can look forward to poisoned seas and cancer and all with no Batman (unless he comes back from his holidays). Hey maybe Bane's plan did work out after all!

Oh well, I know I'm in a minority since the crowd I saw it with loved it- there was even a round of applause at the end! But silver linings, as with Inception I'm loving all the discussion that goes with the film even if I didn't enjoy it myself.:)

I had to laugh at this myself. Not a word about all the sea life he instantly wiped off the map, and the fallout that would be winging it's way to gotham. No wonder he fcuked off to Florence with the missus :pac:

I really liked Bane.....even if he did sound like a posh english lad speaking through his nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Penn wrote: »
    Bane 2012: Ah you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!

Bane 1997: nnrrgghhh... Monkey wooorrkkkkk....

I can't stop thinking about how good Tom Hardy was as Bane. The voice, demeanor and his speeches are the opposite of what you'd imagine from looking at him, yet it never feels out of place. An amazing take on the character. I think his performance is right up there with Ledger's Joker. Both unbelievably good performances, yet in completely different ways.
    I agree I think Tom Hardy was a good choice in fact I think Nolan's choice of cast was excellent in all 3 movies.
    Here's some info from IMDB about Bane's voice.
    "According to Tom Hardy, he based his voice for Bane on Bartley Gorman (1944 - 2002), an Irish Traveller who was the undefeated Bare-knuckle boxing champion of the United Kingdom: "The choice of the accent is actually a man called Bartley Gorman, who was a bare knuckle fighter, a Romani gypsy. So I wanted to underpin the Latin, but a Romani Latin opposed to Latino."
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/trivia

I had to laugh at this myself. Not a word about all the sea life he instantly wiped off the map, and the fallout that would be winging it's way to gotham. No wonder he fcuked off to Florence with the missus :pac:

I really liked Bane.....even if he did sound like a posh english lad speaking through his nose.

Pretty sure fusion doesn't create fallout. The only fallout from a Hydrogen bomb is from the fission reaction needed to start the reaction and since this was a "clean" and free energy source I doubt there would be any plutonium going off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I think Bane was the best possible choice for the villain. I think Tom Hardy nailed the voice perfectly to give an aura of debonair and menace.

Yes I was a little disappointed with the film but thought Bane was the best part of it, not your usual run of the mill movie villian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I agree I think Tom Hardy was a good choice in fact I think Nolan's choice of cast was excellent in all 3 movies.
    Here's some info from IMDB about Bane's voice.
    "According to Tom Hardy, he based his voice for Bane on Bartley Gorman (1944 - 2002), an Irish Traveller who was the undefeated Bare-knuckle boxing champion of the United Kingdom: "The choice of the accent is actually a man called Bartley Gorman, who was a bare knuckle fighter, a Romani gypsy. So I wanted to underpin the Latin, but a Romani Latin opposed to Latino."
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345836/trivia

Does not compute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Pretty sure fusion doesn't create fallout. The only fallout from a Hydrogen bomb is from the fission reaction needed to start the reaction and since this was a "clean" and free energy source I doubt there would be any plutonium going off :pac:

Phew! Good to know Gotham's future isn't as bleak as I thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a really bizarre article about the whole explosion thing here, from a once quite well-regarded Hollywood editor no less:
    So, what am I saying? That Time Warner's "The Dark Night Rises" is pro-nuclear propaganda? That if viewers accept the conceits of this essentially escapist entertainment they embrace the notion that there can be "limited nuclear warfare" - that is to say, atomic blasts without devastating global or even regional consequences? You bet I am.

This film has provoked the oddest observations...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

There's a really bizarre article about the whole explosion thing here, from a once quite well-regarded Hollywood editor no less:

This film has provoked the oddest observations...

jackie-chan-meme.png

odd observations about Batman can be funny though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Dylan Moran comparing Batman to Jesus: "Batman is a far more useful role model for children. He was orphaned aswell, he didn't moan about it. He went up to Tibet and did press ups and things with bunsen burners and came back and put on the ears and got up on the roof ready for anything. Dealing with his own personal issues. Jesus moaned."

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Apologies if this has been posted already but I unfollowed a while back after the bickering took off:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/07/21/the_dark_knight_rises_inspired_by_a_tale_of_two_cities_the_parts_that_draw_from_dickens_.html

Interesting stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Was Tom Hardy's torso digitally-enhanced in this film?

Before people jump down my throat, I'm just asking. Tom Hardy has many tattoos that had to be CGI-ed out of The Dark Knight Rises during several scenes. I'm just wondering, if you compare these two photos - one where the movie cameras are rolling, and another where they aren't - he does seem more pumped-up in the one where his tattoos have been digitally removed.

1343103478_9378_Tom%20Hardy%20as%20Bane.jpg
    Tom-Hardy-Bane-The-Dark-Knight-Rises1.png

I'm just saying, it is possible, even if they didn't actually do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sorry to come off as a 'nerd' in this post :o

But it isnt digitally enhanced effects in post-production. Alot of actors have their tatoo covered up with makeup in their movies. Dayne 'the rock' Johnson is a great example. Look here ... Good ol' Rocky has been sporting that Tat for the last few years. But classic tricks such as wearing a top in a scene cover it :) In other necessary required scenes its totally removed with makeup. But generally this is only a scene.

But to further go on :P
    The second picture you posted is from a promotional free car give-away on the set on Heinz Field. Tom hardy pulled the winning ticket himself in full bane gear. of course, minus the coat he actually wore, thus covering his tats, when filming ;)

Was Tom Hardy's torso digitally-enhanced in this film?

Before people jump down my throat, I'm just asking. Tom Hardy has many tattoos that had to be CGI-ed out of The Dark Knight Rises during several scenes. I'm just wondering, if you compare these two photos - one where the movie cameras are rolling, and another where they aren't - he does seem more pumped-up in the one where his tattoos have been digitally removed.

1343103478_9378_Tom%20Hardy%20as%20Bane.jpg
    Tom-Hardy-Bane-The-Dark-Knight-Rises1.png

the film would have been shot over several months so its not unlikely that his size fluctuated, he's not topless or in the vest for a lot of it, most of the second half after the beatdown, I dont think you see him in again with bare arms after the fight with Batman but I could be mistaken.

he looks absolutely huge in the scene where Gordon is brought underground and he's seen from behind, but that could be camera trickery as well, Hardy isnt that tall but he's pretty stocky, he's all traps and neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I think if they were gonna do some CGI on his torso, they'd have made him less fat. Hardy's also been a trap man and traps are very easy to accentuate for the camera. He looks bigger on film than he was but it was more camera-work and flexing rather than CGI. Still fairly tanked, in fairness.

• Advertisement

Boo Radley wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been posted already but I unfollowed a while back after the bickering took off:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/07/21/the_dark_knight_rises_inspired_by_a_tale_of_two_cities_the_parts_that_draw_from_dickens_.html

Interesting stuff.

I picked up on a lot of it when watching the film, many of the characters are similar to those in Dickens novel and Bane's main henchman, Barsad played by Josh Stewart is named after a characters from A Tale of Two Cities.

The lines "It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before. A far better resting place that I go to than It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done before. A far better resting place that I go to than " were also spoken by Kirk in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan after Spock's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

krudler wrote: »
    he looks absolutely huge in the scene where Gordon is brought underground and he's seen from behind, but that could be camera trickery as well, Hardy isnt that tall but he's pretty stocky, he's all traps and neck.

In any scene where you don't see a main character's face they've probably used a stand-in so that most likely isn't actually Tom Hardy at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

To anyone annoyed by the "plot hole" of how Bruce got home from the pit, where you also annoyed by the "plot hole" of how Bruce knew which room Gordon was in at the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

To anyone annoyed by the "plot hole" of how Bruce got home from the pit, where you also annoyed by the "plot hole" of how Bruce knew which room Gordon was in at the hospital?

In fairness hes one of the richest men(even if he lost all his money in the trade) on the planet with factories/offices all over the world as shown when he was stealing the boxes in Begins. He could have easily had a contact in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Bartley Gorman, the inspiration for Bane's voice, sounds like this guy could've stood a few rounds against Batman!

http://www.maxim.co.uk/features/articles/18502/bartley_gorman.html

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Jump to 5:35 on this video, from the game Diablo II from 2000. Closest thing I've heard to Bane yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

bullvine wrote: »

In fairness hes one of the richest men(even if he lost all his money in the trade) on the planet with factories/offices all over the world as shown when he was stealing the boxes in Begins. He could have easily had a contact in the region.

Of course, I agree, If you have a problem with his journey home not being detailed then there must be countless other details which weren't spelt out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i watched the back breaking scene again last night and personally i find it to be the best scene in the whole trilogy. just awesome so much emotion, pain, suffering and briliant acting. tom hardy was amazing dishing out the punishment as was bale receiving it. also hathaway showed a great range of emotions as selina kyle watching on. a masterpiece of a scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Remember in BB when Bruce bought WE right under Earle's nose? The man clearly has different aliases and resources attached to each alias, so there's your answer to the criticism of how bruce got back to gotham. But how did he get past Bane's cronies and the national guard? Because he's ****ing batman, that's why. Jesus.

• Advertisement

Remember in BB when Bruce bought WE right under Earle's nose? The man clearly has different aliases and resources attached to each alias, so there's your answer to the criticism of how bruce got back to gotham. But how did he get past Bane's cronies and the national guard? Because he's ****ing batman, that's why. Jesus.

people forget Bruce is a ninja, a semi retired ninja, but a ninja nonetheless.

Advertisement