Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

bullvine wrote: »
    Check this out, its a frickin awesome, not featured on the soundtrack

I must say that I found the score to be entirely disappointing, not only in TDKR but throughout the trilogy, it's incredibly samey, it goes nowhere, it does nothing, it just exists and occasionally becomes slightly noisy. There are occasions where it comes close to greatness, points where it very nearly climaxes into epic territory but without fail the score peters off into nothing. It's all buildup, no payoff.

Then again I find Zimmer to be incredibly over-rated so what do I know...

Really must try and catch this again at the cinema before it leaves as I feel like I've missed out on something by not enjoying it, almost disappointed with myself for not enjoying the film particularly after the lenghts I went to to watch it.

I also feel left out of the Tom Hardy man love going on here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

This was discussed earlier in the thread. They used the plane crash to fake Dr Pavel's death. He was the only one who could turn the clean energy reactor into a bomb. By faking his death they got the CIA off their backs and convinced Bruce to reactivate the reactor.

Ok, not the greatest plot device but thanks for clearing it up.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

johnROSS wrote: »
    One gripe i did have with this movie was the fact that it was set a whole eight years since that last movie, but technology has gone seemingly unchanged. maybe i'm nitpicking, i dunno. but in fairness, eight was kinda overkill. I think if it was four five it would have been better.

:)

Well that leg brace was pretty advanced looking, and that snazzy gun Batman uses in the first chase sequence. Plus there's the BAT which wasn't invented in the other two films. Also the fusion reactor too!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well that leg brace was pretty advanced looking, and that snazzy gun Batman uses in the first chase sequence. Plus there's the BAT which wasn't invented in the other two films. Also the fusion reactor too!

yeah but with the technology on the public level, bane uses a normal notebook computer, gotham news looks the same, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I must say that I found the score to be entirely disappointing, not only in TDKR but throughout the trilogy, it's incredibly samey, it goes nowhere, it does nothing, it just exists and occasionally becomes slightly noisy. There are occasions where it comes close to greatness, points where it very nearly climaxes into epic territory but without fail the score peters off into nothing. It's all buildup, no payoff.

Really must try and catch this again at the cinema before it leaves as I feel like I've missed out on something by not enjoying it, almost disappointed with myself for not enjoying the film particularly after the lenghts I went to to watch it.

I also feel left out of the Tom Hardy man love going on here :p

The more I listen to the score the more I like it, its a companion piece to Batman Begins. Batman's "death" is the exact same piece as Bruce's parents death from the Begins score. Bane's theme is excellent and so is Catwoman's. The airplane heist, the police/Wall St bike chase and the "Rise" scenes are all brilliant, and the end is a nice follow on theme to "A Dark Knight" from TDK, I love, love how it builds to the Alfred nod in the movie. I think Begins has the best overall score, but I love the work in TDK, especially Joker's theme, which is absolute madness in musical form. Molossus from BB is still fantastic though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,978 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

johnROSS wrote: »
    yeah but with the technology on the public level, bane uses a normal notebook computer, gotham news looks the same, etc.
    Im actually kind of glad they didn't go all Minority Report or The Island on the everyday tech. Would have detracted from the story. Only techy things they show are there to drive the plot on. Everything else just basically establishes a more contemporary setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

This was discussed earlier in the thread. They used the plane crash to fake Dr Pavel's death. He was the only one who could turn the clean energy reactor into a bomb. By faking his death they got the CIA off their backs and convinced Bruce to reactivate the reactor.
    The way he goes about it has a few too many holes though and in my eyes didn't do Bane's credibility as a master villian any favours whereas the bank heist from TDK sets up Jokers character perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

+1 on some Zimmer hate. Generally creates forgettable pieces of music, except for something like The Thin Red Line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The way he goes about it has a few too many holes though and in my eyes didn't do Bane's credibility as a master villian any favours whereas the bank heist from TDK sets up Jokers character perfectly.

It's convoluted like all of Nolan's plot-lines, but there are no holes that I can see. The Joker's "plan" in TDK turned out to be just as complex. If you prefer the bank heist for aesthetic reasons that's fair enough, but the plot seems pretty solid to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,695 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But why did he do all that?
    Why did he hand himself, his goons and the physicist over to the CIA, only to have big plane to plane shoot out/cover up, and escape from the CIA.
    Wouldn't it have made more sense to just not hand themselves over?

The bank robbery wins for me.

Like Sad Professor said, it was to fake Dr.Pavel's death and to find out what he'd told the CIA.

The bank robbery, brilliant as it is, has one serious flaw though (and I'm not talking about William Fichtner's wobbly knees when he gets shot :D). A school bus crashes into a bank, drives back out with dust and debris still falling from it into a pack of other school buses, and none of the cops who weren't that far away seem to notice, nor do any of the other school buses or traffic stop or try to alert the cops to the school bus which just drove out of a bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

It's convoluted like all of Nolan's plot-lines, but there are no holes that I can see. The Joker's "plan" in TDK turned out to be just as complex. If you prefer the bank heist for aesthetic reasons that's fair enough, but the plot seems pretty solid to me.
    The wings of the plane are nowhere near the fuselage and in the era of DNA one blood transfusion does not a body double make.
    Its asking a bit much to assume the CIA would not do a thorough investigation and easily see its was faked.

Jokers plan was just complex enough to get the job done and tie up all loose ends while being crucially believable but Banes struck me as being over done just for the sake of wanting a cool opening sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Actually I'm really enjoying TDKR score. It's very complete in that there's all sorts of sound, from low to high climaxes. TDK had some decent parts but overall was a disappointment as some of it felt quite detached and incomplete. The 'samey' vibe you might be feeling is the new Batman theme which is replicated throughout and I love it.

Zimmer is kind of overrated as partially in thanks to the Batman movies, he's probably the only well known composer the public know. For the record, Zimmer has quite a good discography, The Last Samurai, Black Hawk Down among others have good scores.

Plus, Zimmer is restricted sometimes by Nolan's direction, if the scene changes from high action to low action, the score has to correspond and that's the reason that sometimes the scores change suddenly. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Actually I'm really enjoying TDKR score. It's very complete in that there's all sorts of sound, from low to high climaxes. TDK had some decent parts but overall was a disappointment as some of it felt quite detached and incomplete. The 'samey' vibe you might be feeling is the new Batman theme which is replicated throughout and I love it.

Zimmer is kind of overrated as partially in thanks to the Batman movies, he's probably the only well known composer the public know. For the record, Zimmer has quite a good discography, The Last Samurai, Black Hawk Down among others have good scores.

Plus, Zimmer is restricted sometimes by Nolan's direction, if the scene changes from high action to low action, the score has to correspond and that's the reason that sometimes the scores change suddenly. Just a thought.

I think Danny Elfman might dispute that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Turtyturd wrote: »
    John Williams might also

maybe michael giacchino

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Zimmer is kind of overrated as partially in thanks to the Batman movies, he's probably the only well known composer the public know. thought.

Randy Newman wants a word too... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Ennio Morricone might want words as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Renn wrote: »
    +1 on some Zimmer hate. Generally creates forgettable pieces of music, except for something like The Thin Red Line.

He is hit and miss,but when he's good hes very good. Out of his scores I like Inception, the Batman movies, Backdraft, Rain Man, True Romance (ripped off of the Badlands theme but still) The Lion King, The Da Vinci Code (woeful film, excellent score) The Thin Red Line, Hannibal, Crimson Tide, The Rock. like most composers he reuses a lot of stuff from previous movies but he can compose a great score when he wants to. his score for Modern Warfare 2 is superb as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

went to see it for the second time last night. even better the second time around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I'm actaully torn between going to see Total Recall, The Born Legacy, Grabbers or The Dark Knight Rises for a 3rd time. How much longer will it be in the cinema? Another month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I'm actaully torn between going to see Total Recall, The Born Legacy, Grabbers or The Dark Knight Rises for a 3rd time. How much longer will it be in the cinema? Another month?
    Sure go to all 4 ;)

• Advertisement

John Williams might also

maybe michael giacchino

Really? Not in my view. I've a couple of friends who are huge into films and they only know Zimmer. If they mentioned Giacchino or Elfman I'd be very surprised. I was even browsing a couple of threads online about score music and among the general public Zimmer was the most mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

Hanz Zimmer's score in Gladiator was also fairly recognizable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbHPTPUpQ1I

Rather enjoyed the soundtrack for TDKR, wasn't as memorable perhaps as his other work but still of a high level.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really? Not in my view. I've a couple of friends who are huge into films and they only know Zimmer. If they mentioned Giacchino or Elfman I'd be very surprised. I was even browsing a couple of threads online about score music and among the general public Zimmer was the most mentioned.

Everyone and their granny has heard of danny elfman, rvrn outside of film he did the the theme music for The Simpsons for god's sake! Your friends can't be that into films if they haven't heard of him tbh.

You're misinterpreting my point. I'm talking about Zimmer as the well known of composers. They've obviously heard of Elfman but Zimmer is the most widely discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thought the OST for this was quite strong in parts, the introduction of a chant and that escalating tempo that Gotham's Reckoning has stands out the most, and the Fire Rises is quite good as well.

I guess it had to sound similar as its part of a trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Not sure if posted, but haven't seen it in here - JGL talks to Kimmell about future of the franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

You're misinterpreting my point. I'm talking about Zimmer as the well known of composers. They've obviously heard of Elfman but Zimmer is the most widely discussed.

I disagree about Zimmer being the most widely discussed. Danny Elfman is very well known for the Simpsons and for working with Tim Burton movies,and funny enough Elfman worked on the first two Batman movies as well. He's certainly widely discussed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

maximoose wrote: »
    Not sure if posted, but haven't seen it in here - JGL talks to Kimmell about future of the franchise

Kimmell comes across as a down right idiot in that. He either is and didn't get the film at all or he hasn't seen it.

Bit surprised JGL played along with the "you're Robin" thing as well. His name was Robin, he isn't bloody THE Robin. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Boo Radley wrote: »
    Kimmell comes across as a down right idiot in that. He either is and didn't get the film at all or he hasn't seen it.

Bit surprised JGL played along with the "you're Robin" thing as well. His name was Robin, he isn't bloody THE Robin. Meh.

In fairness, he does say his name was John Blake.. but I know where you're coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Boo Radley wrote: »

I think that was just Kimmell going along with the kneejerk reaction most people have. It's not mine, but some people think oh he's Robin, rather than he's an interpretation of Robin, but who really will become his own separate entity, or Batman.

Advertisement