Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The fact that WB allowed him shoot so much footage in IMAX suggests to me he was in total control over this project. If this was cut it was his decision. Once you get to the level of Nolan you command greater control over your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

Glad to see some more balanced views here. The overwhelmingly positive responses on certain superhero forums is unbelievable, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Decent film, nothing like I expected. I thought the first Batman/Bane fight was brilliantly done and probably the best part of the film. The second fight was dissapointing, as was Bane being blown through a wall followed by five minutes of Talia in a truck and then that's kinda that. :P

Felt it suffered from a score that nearly drowned out dialogue, a bad script and seemed very rushed after the first hour. Being very negative but it was just unexpected. I'll see it again and hopefully have a slightly different view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

The only thing we all knew for definite before the film was that the bickering in here after the film would be infinite ;)

Just re-read this its all over the shop ;)
    Personally I thought it was a solid end to the 'trilogy'. It wasn't the best in some regards but it was brilliant in a lot of what it did.
    Initially I too was disappointed they changed the voice of bane from the prologue. I actually understood more of bane than the first time I saw the prologue, but I have to say I love the new voice there was just something about it that gave it an evil streak.
    Loved to see bruce in bits at the start, very believable after the first two films and embedded the notion that he is just a man like any other.
    I really didn't like the idea of Anne hathaway as catwoman but she was superb in the role and fits well into a catsuit ;)
    Bane was a fitting enemy. Look he was never ever ever going to live up to Heath Ledger as the Joker but he played his chaos inducing character perfectly in my opinion. I loved the way his men were dying for him, like in the plane, and the way he killed of the ones who didn't do things right. Speaking of which the scene where gordon is captured and he kills his own man after handing him a gps unit (superb) then gordon is found but we don't see anything else of his dead henchman? They could have at least had his body float out as blake is dragging gordon away.

The score was just brilliant, it built up every scene of the film. My only issue with it was that in 2 scenes both with Gordon I couldn't understand what he said with the score building up in the background....screen 1 in VUE so maybe it was the cinema sound itself??
    Caine was brilliant again, his emotion in the argument scene and in the funeral scene was amazing, nearly had a tear in my eye ;) I 100% agree that the final shot should have been Caine just giving that nod. It would have been a fitting end and an actor who's performance made him worthy of the last shot.
    Though as we all know, has to be made obvious for certain audiences ;)

The only things I wasn't happy with were the story seemed a bit obvious in parts. I thought it was obvious tate was going to turn out bad at some stage.
    In the scenes in the prison when the kid is escaping it obviously looked like bane in the cloaks helping her, just by his body shape so I had convinced myself he was not the kid at that stage so I thought maybe it was tate and since the video game has ras'al'gouls (sp?) daughter in it and then they seemed to say a couple of times "bane will not give the trigger to just any citizen" (or something along those lines) so I put 2+2+2 together....it actually sorta spoilt it a bit :(
    My mate was cursing at me after when Gordon handed over the geiger counter and asked her to make the truck and I leaned in and said she's lying...oops :o

PS Bane isn't meant to be understood 100% of the time, get over it.
    PPS Anyone who's complaining about banes mask might want to realise they're going to a movie about a billionaire playboy who dresses like a bat to get his kicks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Bane sounded like Sean Connery with a cold- hard to take seriously after that.

Film moved along way to slowly, for me it is the weakest of the Batman trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I couldn't understand Bane on occasions.
    The music was too loud in a lot of scenes.
    Bruce got back to Gotham far too quickly and inexplicably.

With that said, the movie was a wordy entry in the trilogy and felt like a good mix between the last two movies as well as having it's own unique theme.
    I think if people were going in expecting another movie like The Dark Knight, they were always going to be disappointed.

While I had niggles with the movie, there were way too many great moments for them to grow into anything but niggles. 8/9 out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Never thought I'd say this..

.. I'm VERY disappointed!

Quick paragraph on it as i'm tired.

Bane was hammy and not particularly menacing, everything was wrapped up far too nicely (Robin.. eurrgh!), moved at a snail pace at times and too frenetic at others. Script showed a distinct lack of humour and some of the hammy dialogue of BB returned ("not every cop..").

Maybe my opinion will change (or improve slightly) on a rewatch but definitely the weakest of the trilogy, and probably the weakest of Nolan's career! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

does no one else think that maybe Nolan gave the viewer the choice to believe that maybe Bruce was dead at the end? Maybe Alfred saw what he wanted to say. fantasizing that maybe, just maybe Bruce was off living the life that Alfred always wanted. Or on the other hand, he really was there. its your choice i think

Oh.. and before I forget.. holy sh*t.. it was all so bloody predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

BornIn84 wrote: »
    does no one else think that maybe Nolan gave the viewer the choice to believe that maybe Bruce was dead at the end? Maybe Alfred saw what he wanted to say. fantasizing that maybe, just maybe Bruce was off living the life that Alfred always wanted. Or on the other hand, he really was there. its your choice i think

You couldn't be more wrong. Wayne fixed the autopilot. We see wayne at the end. Stop thinking too much. THIS IS NOT INCEPTION.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Unlike me to watch something like this on opening night...

Wasn't impressed with TDKR at all - underwhelmed by large parts of it, and it really could have done with being a little bit more subtle in dealing with some parts (can't remember Nolan treating the audience as a total idiot in Begins or TDK?). Zimmer's score struggled here too and the incessant use of it to build up EVERY scene just became too much.

4/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Wow. I don't have the words to fully express how incredible an experience that was. I'm not a massive Batman man. I really enjoyed the previous two, and the Burton ones, and even have a soft spot for the 1960s classics. I've read one or two of the graphic novels, but I've never considered myself a hardcore fanboy.

Having watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight over the past 24 hours, I was looking forward to the final piece with a nervous anticipation. And it exceeded every expectation I had, or could have had. As the final credits rolled, I just sat there in my seat. I felt emotionally drained but absolutely elated too. I was dazed. I've been thinking of words to describe the film, and the usual superlatives, brilliant, amazin, incredible etc seem redundant. I think the most fitting adjective for a film like this is beautiful. It truly is a beautiful movie. Every single aspect, from the opening, to the exposition, to the ending is wonderfully and affectingly produced. Every other action film ever, and most other films of any kind pale in comparison in my view.

Even the few parts which I might have an issue with resolved themselves in my mind as I walked home. I won't deny that a few salty tears of manly grief were surreptiously shed in the belief that Batman was dead, and I thought initially that his survival was something of a cop out. But on reflection, it was a fitting end.

What struck me too about the film, was both its topicality and it's referencing other periods of extreme upheaval. Bane's storming of the prison had obvious echos of the storming of the Bastille, while the Terror of the French Revolution was channeled in the trying of the upper classes, right down to the period chair in which the "criminals" sat awaiting judgement. The shot of the special forces commandos hanging after execution seemed to reference similar punishments carried out against undesireables by the Taliban, while the battle scene between the police and Bane's men reminded me of the battles of the Arab Spring, right down to Bane's callous and casual order to open fire.

There's more, and much more to this film than even ten thousand words could credit. It's a masterpiece. And let's just say I know where I'll be at 8.30pm tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Goddamn that was amazing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Absolutely loved it. Bane's voice in the prologue sounded terrible, the original was way better.

Also, the bit from the 2nd trailer where Alfred says "you are as precious to me as you were to your own mother and father, i swore to them that i would protect you, and i haven't", wasn't in the one I saw tonight in Wexford.
    Did anyone else notice this? Or am i doting?

I noticed my eyes were drying out from lack of blinking, for fear that i would miss something, for the last hour. Never experienced that before.

Can't wait to go again tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

This mightn't be popular, but...

Overall, weakest of the three. Solid movie, well acted, but too long. Lost momentum in the second act with the occupation of Gotham, which never really gripped me. Bane was good, but the character was nowhere near as well written, charismatic or downright interesting as the Joker, and the film suffered for that. It felt like they brought up a lot of side stories and plotlines that either weren't developed enough or weren't interesting and didn't move the plot along. It was more on an ensemble piece than the others, but it never came together the way the others did.

There were a fair few points to nitpick over which I won't get into but which did take away from my enjoyment of the film. It was the most comic-book-y of the three (if you can make that criticism of a series of movies based on a comic book), but for me the first two generally had an element of realism which this one didn't and again, it suffered for it. Also - that jail seemed a lot nicer than some you read about.

Good bits: Anne Hathaway was a pleasant surprise. Marion Cotillard - I could watch her all day (her little jerk as she died was a bit off though). The fight in the sewer between Bane and Batman was tough to watch, but great cinema - he bate the snot out of f*cking Batman without even straining his voice! They didn't make Blake "Robin", but he'd be the focus of the next movie.

Nolan doesn't make bad movies, but this wasn't his best.

Just my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

Oh and Bruce would have been split apart by the rope like the other lad was, twice. Which wasn't long after he had his back broken and the guy punched his bone back into place. I know it's a film but... c'mon.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Amazing film I thought, the ending was magnificent. Takes alot to top TDK but it did IMO! Far better range of characters than the Dark Knight.

Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) was my favourite character! Brilliant acting and definitely brought some much needed humour. Seriously hot as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Just back a while from the cinema-I thought it lived up to expectations-Tom Hardys voice as Bane was very menacing-the only thing I didn't like about the film was the second fight between Batman and Bane found it too short and should have being better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I felt like the twist of Marion Cotillard being the real villain came out of nowhere and didn't really add to the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Basq wrote: »
    Oh.. and before I forget.. holy sh*t.. it was all so bloody predictable.

I think this was a major issue. Perhaps if the viewer didnt know who talia is perhaps they might have been more surprised, but I was so bored waiting for her eventul reveal. And every mcguffin (the reactor) and reveal was signposted way too much

Levitt being put in as a robin esque character (though I thought he was more similar to Terry Mcguinness from Batman Beyond then the traditional robins) was not only drawn out for too long but having him share the support role with catwoman gave him very little to do.

The only thing that perked me up was Cillian Murphy's cameo.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Really enjoyed this. Thought it was maybe just a bit flabby in the middle but the ending was fantastic. Bane was ,IMHO, a pretty good villain and worlds apart from the Joker. The two face offs between Batman and him were great to watch and you got the sense that here was a man who wasn't intimidated by the costume/theatrics of The Dark Knight.

I thought there were a lot of elements used from the Batman mythos as well (no-mans land, Knightfall, parts of it appeared to be straight out of Arkham City). All in all a fitting end to the trilogy. No its not perfect but it's a damn sight better than most other movies trotted out these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I felt like the twist of Marion Cotillard being the real villain came out of nowhere and didn't really add to the film.

On the contrary, I would say that it was made a bit too overt (by Cotillard) that something was a bit off with her when she and Bruce first meet at the ball (And it was fitting that she was wearing a mask too ;))

Actually, last thought for the night, I personally thought Hathaway stole the show as Catwoman.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Actually, last thought for the night, I personally thought Hathaway stole the show as Catwoman.

+1. The only one who seemed to enjoy the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

fruvai wrote: »
    On the contrary, I would say that it was made a bit too overt (by Cotillard) that something was a bit off with her when she and Bruce first meet at the ball (And it was fitting that she was wearing a mask too ;))

Seen it today, but something I can't remember;

At what point did Talia realize Bruce Wayne was Batman? Did she always know? I'm still patching stuff together from it being that long :P

One of the few things I didn't like that much was the brief romance between Talia and Bruce. It didn't have any affect later on in regards to other occurrences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Renn wrote: »
    Unlike me to watch something like this on opening night...

Wasn't impressed with TDKR at all - underwhelmed by large parts of it, and it really could have done with being a little bit more subtle in dealing with some parts (can't remember Nolan treating the audience as a total idiot in Begins or TDK?). Zimmer's score struggled here too and the incessant use of it to build up EVERY scene just became too much.

4/10

Jaysus 4/10..... a little bit harsh there I reckon. Its a very good movie that had a lot to follow after BB and TDK. Bane whilst decent in the role was never going to live up to the Joker. I would have to give it a fine 8/10

:):):):):):):)

Agreed! I think she could have been used a bit more in the film though. Half the time I found myself waiting to see what she was upto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 clonmacart

A couple of minor niggles for me over the 3 films was the lack of continuity of its setting. EG: In TDK the city shots are clearly Chicago whereas in TDKR you see the Empire State building in the opening scenes.

Also (SPOILERS!!!) with regards to Fox's scene asking the boffins about the auto pilot what are they checking, cos if it was 'the bat' then surely that is a minor plot hole as you would it would have been destroyed in the blast & the existence of more than one would have meant Bane's men getting hold of it when they broke in the armory..

I think Nolan had SO many ideas that the pressure (either from himself or WB) of doing a Triology forced him to cram some in (Two-face in TDR, the whole 'occupy' theme)

Having said ALL that the mere fact I'm essentially nit-picking over such minor details shows what a triumph the Triology has been; could you imagine us fawning & discussing the same level of detail with the Spiderman series or The Avengers stable of movies, I think not!

P.S Many of you guys seen it in Imax?..I'm in Melbourne so I have the choice, I chose my local independent cinema (Sun Theatre Yarraville an Art Deco Beauty- google it!) first time around on Thursday but I'm thinking of going to see it again and want to know if its worth the slog to the Omniplex..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Yeah, Anne Hathway was excellent. So sultry and sexy and dangerous.

I also thought Bane was an inspired villain. Heath Ledger's Jokers will always set the standard in terms of sheer theatricality, but I think Bane was a far more menacing, threatening presence. I thought his voice was great too. Really had a chilling edge to it. It's a sigh of the brilliance of the film that I was touched by the revelation of the relationship between and Taila at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Think I'll have to attend a second viewing of this to make my mind up over it fully, hard to take it all in after years of hope, hype and build-up.

The last hour was immense and Scarecrow's cameo was fantastic. Bane looked fantastic but I struggled with his voice on two or three occasions. The scene where he beats Batman to a pulp is excellent, the lack of music is haunting. Don't see how people can claim he wasn't menacing.

I would've liked them to make some reference to The Joker.

• Advertisement

Is this confirmed as the last film. I can't see how it continue on without making a balls of it, I'd love to see a spin off for Catwoman. Then again looking at the one with Halle Berry and the ending to this film, it probably isnt a good idea.

Advertisement