Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Forgive me I got this from wikipedia. Don't know if this is much help. But maybe it was the change in the fight team. Christian Bale probably had to adjust to a new fighting style and it didn't fit him as much since he was used to the other method in Batman Begins and Dark Knight. As for Tom Hardy, same thing probably had to adjust.

The fight scenes in the other movies weren't great either, although that does explain why the ones in this film were so bad.

The demise of Bane was, I thought, pretty much perfect. Batman had him beaten psychologically from the moment he escaped the pit. The second fight was essentially won before it started because Batman went into it with the passion he had in his younger days before he lost Rachel. And the punch to Bane's mask wasn't lucky, it was tactical.

It was nowhere near tactical. Bane took a punch to the face in the first fight by allowing the mask to take the strike, there was no way Batman could know that he could break it with a certain strike. And until he caught one of the pipes on the mask with the wing tips on his gauntlets in a spinning backfist, the second fight wasn't really going his way (he was backing up the whole way from the street, up the steps to the entrance of the building they ended up in). It was only when the mask broke that Bane lost the plot and was eventually overcome by the pain.
    Don't really see your point here either. Batman's fighting style in all the films has been brute strength whenever possible. Some fancy stuff thrown in, sure, but most punches thrown by him in the trilogy have just been viciously forceful rather than fancy crap. And no, Katie Buzzword Taylor would knock nothing from either of them. Don't be silly now...

You can be as brute forceful if you like, if your punches are coming from way over your shoulder, you don't at any time block your face and you keep spinning away from your opponent you will destroyed by any half decent fighter. Both of them left themselves open the entire time and were throwing punches you could see a mile away. I'm not expecting a super technical boxing or mma fight, but something better than a school yard tussle from supposedly two of the best fighters in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The demise of Bane was, I thought, pretty much perfect. Batman had him beaten psychologically from the moment he escaped the pit. The second fight was essentially won before it started because Batman went into it with the passion he had in his younger days before he lost Rachel. And the punch to Bane's mask wasn't lucky, it was tactical.

If I could thank this twice I would, perfectly summed up.

I think that was a tactical move by Batman.

You can take my response to Nervous Wreck as my response to this point.
    The two fights with Bane make more sense when seen in terms of the similar fights in the comic The Dark Knight Returns with the Mutant Leader (mild spoilers for that follow).
    In their first fight, the aging Batman tries to match the ferocity of the Mutant Leader and fight like a young man, and gets his ass kicked.
    In their rematch, he doesn't try to match his brute strength, instead taking a tactical approach ("You don't get it, boy. This isn't a mudhole... It's an operating table. And I'm the surgeon.")

In the first fight with Bane, Bane says "You fight like a younger man, with nothing held back. Admirable but mistaken." Then in the second fight, Bane still has a strength advantage, is still able to throw Batman around, but Batman focuses on his weak point, and wins.

I see what you are saying, but both fights are still terrible from a fight mechanic point of view. A power fighter, the first type you mention, is going to use simple direct strikes, but the first was just awkward looking. The shots are all slow, come in big circular arks and there are loads of ridiculous hand grabs (someone graps an incoming punch to stop it) .Except for the end, when Bane was pounding Batmans head, neither fighter looked like they were hitting hard or even trying too. The second fight was only more technical in that Batman spun around more to avoid getting hit, and in doing so he caught a lucky swipe at Banes mask which broke the pipe and made him freak out.

Actually, in googling and looking at the first fight scene again on youtube, I see that Batman punches Bane several times in a row directly on the front of the mask, and even hits him in the face in a similar backhanded way that breaks the mask in second fight, but with no effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭the_djoker

New York was used as Gotham in this one , it was Chicago fr the other two yeah ?

Also what does Banes mask give him ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

the_djoker wrote: »
    New York was used as Gotham in this one , it was Chicago fr the other two yeah ?

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was Pittsburgh mainly this time around. Chicago in the others though yeah.

They never really say whats in the mask, seems like its some sort of pain killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

the_djoker wrote: »

It was filmed in Pittsburgh and the mask continuously fed him a painkiller / suppressant due to his injuries by the other inmates. If you base it on the comics, then it's a steroid called Venom which makes him stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Talking about the fights with Bane, correct me if I'm wrong but in the first one when he grabs Batmans fist he is much stronger and pushes it back easily but in the second fight he does the same move but Batman moves back slightly but then resists and counters with a punch.

This makes me think that Batman is much stronger than he had been earlier in the film and the effort he had put in the pit made more like his old self.

I have seen it twice and I noticed this the second time, does anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bullvine wrote: »
    Talking about the fights with Bane, correct me if I'm wrong but in the first one when he grabs Batmans fist he is much stronger and pushes it back easily but in the second fight he does the same move but Batman moves back slightly but then resists and counters with a punch.

This makes me think that Batman is much stronger than he had been earlier in the film and the effort he had put in the pit made more like his old self.

yes, Bruce fights him after being inactive as Batman for years the first time and although he puts up a fight he goes into it being cocky, he even says to Alfred that "Bane is just a mercenary" and belittles him even though Alfred warns him looking at how Bane destroys the guards in the stock exchange, the second time hes been training for weeks in the jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Thanks! the reason I brought it up was because I don't think Batman was lucky in the second fight as someone else had mentioned, he knew exactly what he was doing and how to beat Bane by the end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

The fight scenes in the other movies weren't great either, although that does explain why the ones in this film were so bad.

I actually think one of the strengths of the TDKR was the fight scenes. I finally felt after BB and TDK (and to an extent Inception) 'Yes! Nolan's finally got a handle on how to film a fight scene'

On a slightly side note I have always thought that any of the car chase sequences in his movies have been handled pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

While most of you a disscussing the mechanics of the fight and while I do agree Batman fought more cautiously and intelligently in the second fight there also the mental advantage Batman had over Bane that is a huge factor.

Bane had beaten Batman to a pulp, broken him, then tossed him into a pit, a pit in which Bane himself had never climbed out of and 5 months later Batman charges up to fight him again with no fear. It has been said before on this thread but Batman had the fight won before a punch was thrown.

Bane had done his worst and came up short.

fluke wrote: »
    I actually think one of the strengths of the TDKR was the fight scenes. I finally felt after BB and TDK (and to an extent Inception) 'Yes! Nolan's finally got a handle on how to film a fight scene'

On a slightly side note I have always thought that any of the car chase sequences in his movies have been handled pretty well.

the fights in BB are all chaotic and shaky cam, but Nolan was clear about that was how he intended it, to look ferocious and not over choreographed.In TDKR, especially in the Bane/Bats fight the camera is much steadier, lots of panning shots and no shakycam stuff, I liked how the whole scene was shot. The one on the steps at the end is all big closeups, they did a good job of making Bane look huge even though Hardy is a few inches shorter than Bale, he's not actually a big guy, well big as in tall, hes still built like a tank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

The only fight scene that annoyed me was the one where Blake got cornered in the storm drain after opening the sewers.
    Batman took on about 8 of Bane's henchmen who all stood politely with their automatic weapons as Batman took them out one by one.
    Not exactly The Raid in terms of fighting choreography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

How does bane eat,if once he takes his mask off he is in severe pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Eats in pain...

Does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

tok9 wrote: »

Eats in pain?

Does it matter?

Not really just little questions for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

He doesn't take his mask off, why put himself through the hassle. Could you imagine it - 'mmm burger smells good, ow ow ow, mmm, ow ow ow, ow ow ow, must try eat DELICIOU...ah fuck it anyway!'

I'd say he's a cheestrings man. He puts them right through that cheese grater mask of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Those who liked this film seem to really like it, 4.5/5.
    Those, like me, who were annoyed with the plot holes, rate it 2.5/5 or lower.
    There seems to be no middle ground here.

What plot holes? Are you sure there are plot holes? Alot of people screaming plot holes when the reality is their observation skills are lacking and they overlooked alot from the movie...

What plot holes are you referring too?

how does Catwoman or Batman pee? do they go before heading off on a night of criminal bashing and thieving or are there some deleted scenes showing the mechanics of it. least Iron Man explained it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

krudler wrote: »

how does Catwoman or Batman pee? do they go before heading off on a night of criminal bashing and thieving or are there some deleted scenes showing the mechanics of it. least Iron Man explained it :pac:

Never caught that - how does he do it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    The only fight scene that annoyed me was the one where Blake got cornered in the storm drain after opening the sewers.
    Batman took on about 8 of Bane's henchmen who all stood politely with their automatic weapons as Batman took them out one by one.
    Not exactly The Raid in terms of fighting choreography.

Been a while since I seen it but maybe they didn't want to hit their comrades...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Never caught that - how does he do it?

there's a water filtration system in the suit, he says it during the party scene in IM2

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

nix wrote: »
    What plot holes? Are you sure there are plot holes? Alot of people screaming plot holes when the reality is their observation skills are lacking and they overlooked alot from the movie...

What plot holes are you referring too?

Or what they refer to as plot holes aren't plot holes at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I would think there is an intravenous form of pain management available while he eats. At least thats my theory
    krudler wrote: »

Bat-catheter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

bane-50086a4e62f6f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Or what they refer to as plot holes aren't plot holes at all.

lol i know!

Nothing worse than seen a movie get slated as a result of the audience ignorance, and then people complain about being spoon fed info in a movie and wonder why it has to be done :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

bullvine wrote: »

Probably seeing as the Batman that got in a fight with Bane the first time had been retired for 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Probably seeing as the Batman that got in a fight with Bane the first time had been retired for 8 years.

No, he demolishes the thugs/banes men on the roof, and in the sewers before actually fighting bane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

cloud493 wrote: »
    No, he demolishes the thugs/banes men on the roof, and in the sewers before actually fighting bane.
    That was only a warm up fight for him,besides he had help..

Advertisement