Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

The wall didnt blow up. The door was already open. He just took a rocket to the chest

I remember it differently, i remember the entrance blowing up and then him taking a rocket to the chest. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    I remember it differently, i remember the entrance blowing up and then him taking a rocket to the chest. I could be wrong.

I watched it last night. You are :pac:

e_e wrote: »
    This is just going around in circles, yes.

The only thing I'll say is that the "lack of Batman" complaint doesn't make sense for somebody who loves Begins, since it takes about 70 minutes for him to appear in that and said film is even a half an hour shorter than Rises.

Yeah, i'm fed up of this now too. I can only explain so many times that after 70 minutes of Batman Begins, the Bat rarely leaves the screen, which gives us an hour of watching him in action, wheras Rises has maximum 15 minutes altogether in a movie a half hour 'longer' than Begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

tbh the first hour of Batman Begins maybe my favorite part of the whole trilogy. It establishes everything so beautifully in a more thorough and pragmatic way than any other superhero movie, I'd say the first hour of Rises has similar qualities too.

e_e wrote: »
    tbh the first hour of Batman Begins maybe my favorite part of the whole trilogy. It establishes everything so beautifully in a more thorough and pragmatic way than any other superhero movie, I'd say the first hour of Rises has similar qualities too.

I agree 1 million percent. No movie ever told the origin of it's hero so well as Begins, and once we get all that great stuff, we get huge action for the rest of the movie, it's almost non-stop. The tumbler chase, the docks fight, the interrogations, and of course the finale. Same TDK, story extremely well handled, characters well fleshed out, continuation from Begins synchs perfectly, both the Joker and Harvey Dent are incredible characters and played the best they've ever been, and again, the action is spectacular, the face/off between Batman and the Joker on the streets of Gotham can't be topped, it's iconic. And let's not forgot the whole "Why So Serious?" trend. TDKR has none of that in any way. In fairness, aside from my huge disappointment of it, there are scenes i really liked, especially the final shot before the credits. But in no way does it compare to Begins and TDK. Even that opening to TDK has me drooling just thinking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well, i paid €12 to see Bruce Wayne down a hole for an hour. I could've thrown myself down a well and lived half the movie for free.

Was it really for an hour? I don't think it was to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Yeah, i'm fed up of this now too. I can only explain so many times that after 70 minutes of Batman Begins, the Bat rarely leaves the screen, which gives us an hour of watching him in action, wheras Rises has maximum 15 minutes altogether in a movie a half hour 'longer' than Begins.

Batman gets 24:14 of screen time in Batman Begins and 21:13 of screen time in DKR.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Are you going to see the new Tom Cruise Jack Reacher movie this December? It's the next one i'm planning to see, really looking forward to it. I hear it has this guy called Jack Reacher in it, the movie runs for 2 hours, wonder how much time he'll get in it? I hear he gets a lot of it, we'll see when it comes out...

Senseless rambling.

I was watching it last night. Gordon kinda suddenly claims Bane is this great evil without actually knowing anything about him or his plan, when he was in hospital. Sure he attacked him but he expressed that Bane was a bigger problem than he had proof of. Just dodgy dialogue I guess, put too early in the film. Typical John Nolan **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Andy!! wrote: »
    Senseless rambling.

I was watching it last night. Gordon kinda suddenly claims Bane is this great evil without actually knowing anything about him or his plan, when he was in hospital. Sure he attacked him but he expressed that Bane was a bigger problem than he had proof of. Just dodgy dialogue I guess, put too early in the film. Typical John Nolan **** up.

When Blake goes to met Wayne and tells him he pulled Gordon out of the sewer he says he was "babbling about a masked man named Bane" even though nobody refers to Bane by his name in the few seconds Gordon is in his presence, unless he already had heard of Bane and put two and two together, Alfred was able to find out a lot about him quite easily, maybe he googled him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

watched this again last night.
    the editing being a real problem really stood out for me having seen a lot of discussion about it online.

it really needed to be tightened down, the gotham under seige stuff could go (i skipped most of it last night and enjoyed film without it), robin storyline for the axe (i like levit and he plays the role well but its not needed for the story) and more

the day to night 9 min transition really stands out like a sore thumb, am i missing something there? how could that be missed?

all that aside its a great movie and anne hathaway is so hot it's not funny!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just dodgy dialogue I guess, put too early in the film. Typical John Nolan **** up.

Is John Nolan meant to be a dodgy writer then? I assumed Gordon was both panicking and babbling a bit from being shot and the painkillers.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Alright movie - worth the price of admission (€0). Bane looked like a bouncer in a halloween mask. Robin always annoys me in any incarnation of Batman. No difference here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Robin always annoys me in any incarnation of Batman. No difference here.
    :confused:

Alright movie - worth the price of admission (€0). Bane looked like a bouncer in a halloween mask. Robin always annoys me in any incarnation of Batman. No difference here.

Yep that 1 word naming a character who had very little in common with any robin incarnation was really annoying. :confused:

He's not Robin..

promethius wrote: »
    watched this again last night.
    the editing being a real problem really stood out for me having seen a lot of discussion about it online.

it really needed to be tightened down, the gotham under seige stuff could go (i skipped most of it last night and enjoyed film without it), robin storyline for the axe (i like levit and he plays the role well but its not needed for the story) and more

the day to night 9 min transition really stands out like a sore thumb, am i missing something there? how could that be missed?

all that aside its a great movie and anne hathaway is so hot it's not funny!

The pacing is all over the place in it at times, Nolan really needs to learn how to edit an action scene properly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've not seen too many of his films but I don't think he's done too many fight scenes.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

krudler wrote: »
    He's not Robin..

So he's a Batman sidekick, a little wimpy, is referred to by name as Robin in one of the final scenes and is last seen entering Batman's lair. Got it.

So he's a Batman sidekick, a little wimpy, is referred to by name as Robin in one of the final scenes and is last seen entering Batman's lair. Got it.

taking up the Batman mantle, he's hardly going to go out there calling himself Robin now is he, the Robin line was thrown in there as a reference, nothing more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I think John Blake is Christopher Nolan's version of Robin in the movie. Then at the end he becomes The Dark Knight.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    The pacing is all over the place in it at times, Nolan really needs to learn how to edit an action scene properly

To be fair, he got from entering the sewers with catwoman to the back "break" pretty much perfect. Not a big chase or explosions but still nailed it

Is John Nolan meant to be a dodgy writer then? I assumed Gordon was both panicking and babbling a bit from being shot and the painkillers.

John Nolan is a bell-end. His brother, the director of these films and co-writer of the first, is a ****ing genius.

According to wikipedia, he's only co-written 3 films, 2 of which are the latter Batman films. Why do you call him a bell-end? There was some iffy dialogue but not enough for me to blacklist his name.

Why do you call him a bellend?

The Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight's an amazing film. Didn't you like it?

Senseless rambling.

Senseless rambling? So the point i was making just didn't hit then, no?

Was it really for an hour? I don't think it was to be honest.

Well, i'm just being general. It felt like half the movie was spent on Bruce Wayne trying to climb out of a hole, as opposed to Batman trying to find the Joker at the end of TDK to stop him blowing up the two boats.

John Nolan is a bell-end. His brother, the director of these films and co-writer of the first, is a ****ing genius.

In fairness, i can't agree with this. Even for all my problems with Dark Knight Rises, the script was the least of my worries. They actually did really well on that front, aside from anything Bane 'said'. Sadly, a well delivered script is not enough for me.

Batman gets 24:14 of screen time in Batman Begins and 21:13 of screen time in DKR.

That's a very interesting stat, where did you find this? Wow, i actually feel even worse about DKR now, the fact that it has almost as much Batman screentime as Batman Begins and yet made me feel like there's hardly any at all. Terrible pacing is yet another problem.

• Advertisement

The Dark Knight.

Totally disagree. The Dark Knight has perfect writing and a stunning script. Listening to the Joker alone makes everything worth it.

Advertisement