Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I liked it a lot better the second time as well. It's certainly less exhausting to watch on a TV than in a big, booming cinema.

Conversely, I didn't think that The Dark Knight stood up at all upon rewatching it. Weird how that works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    Oh i agree, Batman should be a symbol, but not even that shone through for me. With Christopher Nolan, he's always found a perfect balance between story and action with these kind of movies. Even Inception, which i love, there's a movie that strikes the balance between fantastic characters, a genius story and truly amazing visuals and action sequences. Just like he did with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. And with the story of TDK, he found a way to have a piece of everything, the moral dillemas, the test of will, the want for revenge, everything he could use he did and with huge success, but he never wavered on his promise to deliver thrilling action sequences and plenty of wonderful screentime with the Joker. That's what i wanted from Dark Knight Rises. There are people in this country alone who have been quite negative about the movie. Was it the Irish Times reviewer who gave it 2 stars, called it a "Self-indulgent mess, a bum-numbing movie with a boring villian and horrible narrative"? And then there's the wonderful Lisa Cannon from Xpose who reviewed it for TV3 on it's release, she did give it 4 stars, but also called it dull, overly long and disappointing. Gordon Hayden, another very popular TV3 critic also said it was overrated and he was disappointed by it. As someone said here somewhere, their favourite thing from the whole trilogy is the first hour of Batman Begins, and in a way i'm inclined to agree somewhat, as it weaved a perfect story, it covered important ground to build the movie upon, it left out nothing and yet did it with a thrill and epic feel like no other comic book movie has ever done. DKR did not do that, instead it tried to rely on the previous movies by copying huge chunks from them (Including a really bad Raz Al Ghul cameo from Liam Neeson). And Bane? In all honesty, and you really seem to know your stuff, can you tell me that Bane really does match up to the Joker, Harvey Dent or Raz Al Ghul? For me, he's nowhere near the level of those characters. Again, by all means, this is a movie i want to love, i really want to see in it what others have, and perhaps it may happen one day. But to sit in a cinema watching Batman Begins and then 3 years later The Dark Knight, and be so thrilled by them that they end up in my top 10 favourite movies ever? I wish people could see what i'm so let down by DKR.

I think he does, but it's hard to compare the villains directly, as they're all so different, and all suit their particular films so well.
    Bane worked here as he's kind of a mirror image of Batman. He's basically what Bruce would've become if he'd stayed with The League of Shadows and committed to their plans. His intelligence comes across well, but so does his physicality. Hardy plays him brilliantly, creating a real sense of how strong and ferocious he is, not only in his fight scenes, but also in his physical presence throughout the film, and his body language.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

tdkrfinal.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

I think he does, but it's hard to compare the villains directly, as they're all so different, and all suit their particular films so well.
    Bane worked here as he's kind of a mirror image of Batman. He's basically what Bruce would've become if he'd stayed with The League of Shadows and committed to their plans. His intelligence comes across well, but so does his physicality. Hardy plays him brilliantly, creating a real sense of how strong and ferocious he is, not only in his fight scenes, but also in his physical presence throughout the film, and his body language.

How about his voice? And that accent? Or that even when his mask is damaged, it had no effect? I will grant him one thing, he's miles better than Bane in Batman & Robin, but still, he doesn't click for me. Even the opening scene with him on the plane, it didn't do a thing for me. The opening scene of The Dark Knight blows me clean away, the best of opening of any movie i've ever seen. Joker's introduction is wonderful and the sequence is spectacular to watch and listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

How about his voice? And that accent? Or that even when his mask is damaged, it had no effect? I will grant him one thing, he's miles better than Bane in Batman & Robin, but still, he doesn't click for me. Even the opening scene with him on the plane, it didn't do a thing for me. The opening scene of The Dark Knight blows me clean away, the best of opening of any movie i've ever seen. Joker's introduction is wonderful and the sequence is spectacular to watch and listen to.

I like his voice. It has a grandiosity, but what I really like most is his casual delivery of every line. It really demonstrates how powerful he is, that he's not even remotely out of breath in his fight with Batman.
    And as far as I could tell, when Batman detached part of the mask in the climactic fight it did hurt Bane, which is why he struggled to reattach it.

• Advertisement

I like his voice. It has a grandiosity, but what I really like most is his casual delivery of every line. It really demonstrates how powerful he is, that he's not even remotely out of breath in his fight with Batman.
    And as far as I could tell, when Batman detached part of the mask in the climactic fight it did hurt Bane, which is why he struggled to reattach it.

I would've loved to understand a word he said. First time i went to it, a guy behind me wanted subtitles. And originally, they say his voice was even worse. I do agree that i liked how he could move, fight and talk all at once, but that was his best strength for me.

So long since i've seen it, there's little pieces of it dropping from memory. I can't remember him being in pain, but it made no sense that he wouldn't be with part of his mask detatched.

LOL, i'm in tears laughing at that! Total genius! Thanks for posting that!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I'd probably put The Dark Knight Rises at the top, if only for its satisfying conclusion to the overall story, followed by Batman Begins, then The Dark Knight.

But having watched them all in close succession, I see them now as parts of one long great story.

TDKR would have been great were it not for its awful awful ending. Wish I'd left 5 minutes early.

So long since i've seen it, there's little pieces of it dropping from memory. I can't remember him being in pain, but it made no sense that he wouldn't be with part of his mask detatched.

The mask was supplying pain killers. Hence the sound of gas spraying out when Bats breaks the mask.

Bane is perfectly understandable most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Not trying to rub people the wrong way, but I saw it at the premier here in the savoy and had no problem understanding bane on first watching.

I have glanced more then read the last few pages since I posted, so, Bruce/Bats, is in a Lazarus pit as I last said, these wouldn't entirely fit into the Nolan universe. But fit in a great way into reenergising the fight in Bruce.
    And so therefore the hallucination of ras was fitting in this instance.

No matter what the criticism says about or at the end of the day it's a man dressed as a bat who is a good CSI detective. Batman was never a super hero but a super detective.

I actually was not sure if this movie the first time I saw it other then how it gave bane the mastermind role for the first time in a movie, but the iconic back breaking scene ha me whooping at the screen. But the movie as overall left me satisfied at the end of a trilogy.

And as already posted ledger only copied Tom waits in every scene, mark hamill was the perfect joker.
    But this movie suffers from being so pared to a dead man and nothing compares to a man who passed away before a film was released.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I also didn't have a problem understanding bane. Perfectly clear through out the film.

Unlike Batman in TDK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I started watching it again last night but the copy was bad so I didn't bother.
    I'll probably buy the BlueRay trilogy.

I love the opening sequence, even if it is over the top, completely unnecessary and more James Bond than Batman.
    I thought it was a great introduction to Bane and the dialog between him and the CIA guy is class.

CIA Agent: [Pulls hood off to reveal Bane] If I pull that off, will you die?
    Bane: It would be extremely painful...
    CIA Agent: You're a big guy.
    Bane: ...for you.

I feel like this version that I'm watching is missing a bit from the start.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I feel like this version that I'm watching is missing a bit from the start.

It begins with Commissioner Gordon's speech, "I knew Harvey Dent."
    This lasts for about 20 seconds then it jumps over to Bane and his goons being driven to the plane.

Its missing the bit

'I knew Harvey Dent. I was his friend. And it will be a very long time before someone... inspires us the way he did. I believed in Harvey Dent.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

When i saw it i had no trouble understanding Bane. Looking forward to watching it again. I thought it closed off the trilogy nicely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Same here. No problems understanding him either.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I started watching it again last night but the copy was bad so I didn't bother.
    I'll probably buy the BlueRay trilogy.

I love the opening sequence, even if it is over the top, completely unnecessary and more James Bond than Batman.
    I thought it was a great introduction to Bane and the dialog between him and the CIA guy is class.

CIA Agent: [Pulls hood off to reveal Bane] If I pull that off, will you die?
    Bane: It would be extremely painful...
    CIA Agent: You're a big guy.
    Bane: ...for you.

Yeah, but the first dialogue there was so clumsy. Aiden Gillen introduces himself as "hello, I'm CIA" or something along those lines. One of my few problems with the film.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Yeah, but the first dialogue there was so clumsy. Aiden Gillen introduces himself as "hello, I'm CIA" or something along those lines. One of my few problems with the film.

The whole thing is ridiculous and way over the top.
    Compare it to the DK opener, that was fairly believable.
    Still, I enjoyed it, it's a Batman movie, no point nitpicking at the realism of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The whole thing is ridiculous and way over the top.
    Compare it to the DK opener, that was fairly believable.
    Still, I enjoyed it, it's a Batman movie, no point nitpicking at the realism of it all.

Lets face it, it was put in there as a cool action scene to open the movie, show off Nolan's love of Bond style stunts and real stuntmen as opposed to CGI, even though it makes no sense and is the most OTT way to fake someone's death ever. the line that bugs me the most is Bane's "they expect one of us in the wreckage brother!" ehh...do they? who? the plane crashed after having its tail end blown off and the crew are riddled with bullets, its hardly going to look accidental.

krudler wrote: »
    Lets face it, it was put in there as a cool action scene to open the movie, show off Nolan's love of Bond style stunts and real stuntmen as opposed to CGI, even though it makes no sense and is the most OTT way to fake someone's death ever. the line that bugs me the most is Bane's "they expect one of us in the wreckage brother!" ehh...do they? who? the plane crashed after having its tail end blown off and the crew are riddled with bullets, its hardly going to look accidental.

This is spot on. Impressive visually, but meant nothing to the story, had no purpose and the scripting in it is horrendous, you'd really think Bane is beyond talking the hard man, but nope, cliched to hell. The opening of The Dark Knight, magnificent. "Nnnnoooooo, i kill the bus dddrrrrriiiivvvvveeerrrrrrr!". That's the way to open.

The head CIA guy filed a flight plan for him and one prisoner.
    The bullet ridden corpses will be about as convincing as that blood transfusion stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Watched it last night, I have read a few of the comics and know most of the folklore, Nolan seems to have taken the best bits and wired them together with his own tweaks with the ending leaving me totally confused, why not Richard, Tim, Dick, or even Grayson rather than ****ing Robin. I think the cafe scene was a homage to Inception.;)

This is spot on. Impressive visually, but meant nothing to the story, had no purpose and the scripting in it is horrendous, you'd really think Bane is beyond talking the hard man, but nope, cliched to hell. The opening of The Dark Knight, magnificent. "Nnnnoooooo, i kill the bus dddrrrrriiiivvvvveeerrrrrrr!". That's the way to open.

No, you should never open a Batman film with a day scene. Nor shoot in New York, Gotham has always been Chicago.

Not to mention a massive hole and dust covered bus not alerting the cops or other bus drivers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Thios is spot on. Impressive visually, but meant nothing to the story, had no purpose and the scripting in it is horrendous, you'd really think Bane is beyond talking the hard man, but nope, cliched to hell. The opening of The Dark Knight, magnificent. "Nnnnoooooo, i kill the bus dddrrrrriiiivvvvveeerrrrrrr!". That's the way to open.

The bank robbery wasn't much more believable either. The clown men would figure out they too could be shot. Also there is no way they could plan it so precisely so they know the exact second everything would happen. Impressive scene nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The bank robbery wasn't much more believable either. The clown men would figure out they too could be shot. Also there is no way they could plan it so precisely so they know the exact second everything would happen. Impressive scene nonetheless.

It's as if it was based on a comic book.....

Andy!! wrote: »
    No, you should never open a Batman film with a day scene. Nor shoot in New York, Gotham has always been Chicago.

Not to mention a massive hole and dust covered bus not alerting the cops or other bus drivers.

Yeah I didnt like the look of Gotham in TDKR either, its just New York, Chicago looked much cooler with the bridges. I thought the best version was in Begins, it got the look of stylised real world city just right with a real location and then the Narrows area being models/cgi or whatever it was they used.

The head CIA guy filed a flight plan for him and one prisoner.
    The bullet ridden corpses will be about as convincing as that blood transfusion stunt.

It still doesnt make sense though, there's Bane, Pavel and the guy who gets left behind on the plane right. Gillen says the line about the flight plan, but then they bring a body in during the heist, pump Pavels blood into it so the investigation will show its him, thats the one prisoner on the flight plan(shenanigans!) and the other guy still stays there. so thats an extra body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Yeah I didnt like the look of Gotham in TDKR either, its just New York, Chicago looked much cooler with the bridges. I thought the best version was in Begins, it got the look of stylised real world city just right with a real location and then the Narrows area being models/cgi or whatever it was they used.

I would imagine new york was shown so clearly so people could identify with manhattan being cut off like in the movie. Not as easy with chicage.

Advertisement