Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Gintonious wrote: »
    Credit to green screen when it is used right, also on how much it has improved over the years.

I think Nolan uses it perfectly to compliment what's on the screen. Rarely is it all green-screen, there's something real in the shot to work off so it looks much more realistic :)

Question - did you guys like the jokes/levity in TDKR? Like the cop says (regarding Batman reappearing) "oh you're in for a show tonight!", Lucius (I'm paraphrasing) "usually you'd ask for some crazy gadget. Lemme show you something anyway". Although I did chuckle at it, I felt it was a bit of admission that the audience/Nolan gets there is a formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

jaykhunter wrote: »

Question - did you guys like the jokes/levity in TDKR? Like the cop says (regarding Batman reappearing) "oh you're in for a show tonight!", .

That little scene is a nod to Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, I loved it :)

http://i.imgur.com/uLyhl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Question - did you guys like the jokes/levity in TDKR?

I loved Bane's dry and less obvious sense of humour.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Question - did you guys like the jokes/levity in TDKR? Like the cop says (regarding Batman reappearing) "oh you're in for a show tonight!", Lucius (I'm paraphrasing) "usually you'd ask for some crazy gadget. Lemme show you something anyway". Although I did chuckle at it, I felt it was a bit of admission that the audience/Nolan gets there is a formula.

I liked it, it was kind of like Nolan was more keen to acknowledge the movie as a straight up super-hero yarn than he did with TDK some ways but still managed to retain the qualities he brought to the first two films. Skyfall tried to do something similar (though without as much success) in where it got a bit tongue in cheek in places, like it was acknowledging the absurdity of it's premise but still trying to keep proceeding relatively gritty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think Nolan uses it perfectly to compliment what's on the screen. Rarely is it all green-screen, there's something real in the shot to work off so it looks much more realistic :)

the "you're in for a show tonight son!" was one of my favourite moments in the movie. and Bane's "then why are you people here?" to the stock market guy who says there no money to steal, its not overly funny but he had a point :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Quite a few funny little one liners throughout all three films actually...

"Whats the point of all those push ups if you can't lift a bloody log!"
    "Accomplice? I'm gonna tell them the whole thing was your idea"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember the Donegal Democrat gave TDK 4/5, docking a star saying it wasn't funny.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

krudler wrote: »

does it though?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I remember the Donegal Democrat gave TDK 4/5, docking a star saying it wasn't funny.

A whole star docked by the pinnacle of entertainment reporting that is the Donegal Democrat :eek:

Obviously TDK is a flop!

:D
    The Joker's bad puns were brilliant.
    Batman/Wayne's sense of humour is terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'd say most significant stuff happens at night in the TDK.

Batman extracts Lau from Hong Kong
    The scene with Dent being transferred to prison, then Rachel dying and Harvey being injured
    The joker blowing up the jail
    The boat scene
    Gordon and Batman seeing Dent turned
    Batman taking the fall for Dent's madness
    The joker finally being captured

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To this day, I still refuse to buy that rag.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hated it. And this is coming from someone who despises the notion that dark/brooding/gritty = quality. If the jokes were decent or consistent with the tone Nolan was going for then fair enough, but Goyer's ****e sense of humour easily made this (already bad film) the cheesiest of the trilogy. I will give the man credit for "Drunken Billionaire Burns down House" in Begins as being great.

I've no time for Miller either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Question - did you guys like the jokes/levity in TDKR? Like the cop says (regarding Batman reappearing) "oh you're in for a show tonight!",

I thought that was a nod to the dark knight returns more than a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

cloud493 wrote: »

The scene with Dent being transferred to prison, then Rachel dying and Harvey being injured
    The boat scene
    I enjoyed the Dark Knight except for that scene.

cloud493 wrote: »

The boat scene

How is the fact that notable stuff happened at night relevant? Far too much still took place during the day.

And yeh the boat scene was ****e. That was supposed to be the big crescendo, but honestly I didnt care about the people on either boat.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Andy!! wrote: »

How is the fact that notable stuff happened at night relevant? Far too much still took place during the day.

And yeh the boat scene was ****e. That was supposed to be the big crescendo, but honestly I didnt care about the people on either boat.

It's completely irrelevant what time of day anything happens tbh.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's completely irrelevant what time of day anything happens tbh.

Must introduce you to the general concept of Batman sometime. Oh and art direction, mood, etc...

Must introduce you to the general concept of Batman sometime. Oh and art direction, mood, etc...

Indeed. Lets not be childish now. All the actual bits with with batman happen at night though with other scenes taking place in the day which is fairly common in batman comics etc. and i have seen batman come out during the day in books too (mainly JLA in fairness).

I must introduce you to the actual The Dark Knight thread since that's all you seem to ever want to talk about. ;)

When talking about a movie its inevitable that the preceeding movies come up. It aint me doing it though, other posters. Not that there is anything wrong with it.

• Advertisement

hardly anything with Batman himself happens during the day in TDK though, in TDKR yeah ok the entire climax is in daytime but does it really matter?

The more I watch the plane seen the less sense it makes and the more I hate it. When I saw it in previews I thought Bane was doing something really smart, that running the dentals from guy left behind would unveil something amazing, but no. A blood transfusion to make them believe that guy was Pavel? What?? He falls a thousand feet in a steel tube, how much of that is still gonna be in his body after he lands? Also, do the CIA not have any pictures of Pavel?

F U John Nolan you muppet.

The more I watch the plane seen the less sense it makes and the more I hate it. When I saw it in previews I thought Bane was doing something really smart, that running the dentals from guy left behind would unveil something amazing, but no. A blood transfusion to make them believe that guy was Pavel? What?? He falls a thousand feet in a steel tube, how much of that is still gonna be in his body after he lands? Also, do the CIA not have any pictures of Pavel?

Its actually dumb as fcuk plot and sense wise. Great sequence for the stunt itself but it makes zero sense. Considering Bane already has Pavel, why does he need to know what Pavel told the CIA? its doesnt matter in the slightest and they could easily have faked his death in another less ridiculous way.

Its actually dumb as fcuk plot and sense wise. Great sequence for the stunt itself but it makes zero sense. Considering Bane already has Pavel, why does he need to know what Pavel told the CIA? its doesnt matter in the slightest and they could easily have faked his death in another less ridiculous way.

It's ridiculous in so many ways.
    He could have done all of that on the ground, the blood transfusion, why would Bane care if everyone knew Pavel was alive but missing, the bullet ridden corpses that are supposed to have just died in a plane crash, very poor writing.

Still, leaving all that aside, I really enjoyed that opening scene.

It's ridiculous in so many ways.
    He could have done all of that on the ground, the blood transfusion, why would Bane care if everyone knew Pavel was alive but missing, the bullet ridden corpses that are supposed to have just died in a plane crash, very poor writing.

Still, leaving all that aside, I really enjoyed that opening scene.

anyone investigating the plane crash would have seen that the wings had fallen off way before it crash landed, the tail had been blown off with explosives, the windows shot in and the crew riddled with bullets, its hardly gonna look accidental :pac:

anyone investigating the plane crash would have seen that the wings had fallen off way before it crash landed, the tail had been blown off with explosives, the windows shot in and the crew riddled with bullets, its hardly gonna look accidental :pac:

A monkey with sever learning difficulties could probably have came up with something more convincing.
    I like the scene as I thought it was a good introduction to Bane.
    The nervousness as Aidan Gillen removes hood.
    Bane's supreme confidence as he casually and somewhat lethargically tells him that getting captured was all part of his (ridiculous) plan, some dry humour thrown in too for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Watching TDKR again I liked it more, although I still have some gripes with the film. That said, when Batman and Bane are fighting at the end, when it's snowing during the day, shot in IMAX, it's absolutely beautiful. I also enjoyed the initial slug-fest between the two much more. Batman is really not Batman in the first fight, he's wild but cocky, it's like a boxing match, seeing him growl in frustration and getting thoroughly outmatched.

30950_467363446635310_2051464277_n.jpg

Watching TDKR again I liked it more, although I still have some gripes with the film. That said, when Batman and Bane are fighting at the end, when it's snowing during the day, shot in IMAX, it's absolutely beautiful. I also enjoyed the initial slug-fest between the two much more. Batman is really not Batman in the first fight, he's wild but cocky, it's like a boxing match, seeing him growl in frustration and getting thoroughly outmatched.

30950_467363446635310_2051464277_n.jpg

I didnt really like how Batman basically learns nothing and wades back into Bane in a fistfight again, lets be honest he gets one lucky swipe in that severs the hose on Bane's mask, he was getting hammered again until that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

What makes you think it was his fault and not his brother's?

• Advertisement

Colmo52 wrote: »

What makes you think it was his fault and not his brother's?

Cause Chris Nolan is a genius whereas his brother is a muppet :)

Advertisement