Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

e_e wrote: »
    All these accusations of humorlessness on Nolan's part don't really make sense at all, as if they want the series to revert back into Joel Schumacher territory. Even The Dark Knight has great moments of black humor throughout.

No one wants Batman and Robin, but directing it like its heavy drama, esp after the feel good ending, and considering the campiness of the costumes and some of the OTT cinematography... Well.. It's a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It'll probably be on the super-duper-fantastic-ultimate edition released next year.

I've asked Santa to get me the trilogy in bluray...looking forward to getting through all three over Christmas

It does baffle why he never released a directors cut.

Anywho, not long 'til the Dublin Imax is up and running.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anywho, not long 'til the Dublin Imax is up and running.

Again, not proper IMAX. If you went to see TDKR in the Cineworld screen, you would point blank not be experiencing the full IMAX version of the film. I do fear many audiences are going to buy into the misleading branding :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Saw the blu ray for €20 in Tesco, anyone see any better prices around?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Saw the blu ray for €20 in Tesco, anyone see any better prices around?

Haven't seen it cheaper than that solo, you can get the blu-ray trilogy for €30 from tesco direct though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I got the blu ray trilogy for 40 in hmv. same price in extra vision

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

17.99 in HMV for the BluRay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Will be in town tomorrow so HMV it is. ;) Already have BB and TDK on blu ray, any extra perks for buying for the trilogy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It does baffle why he never released a directors cut.
    An extended cut would require deleted scenes to put back into the film. Nolan cuts practically nothing from his films.
    Will be in town tomorrow so HMV it is. ;) Already have BB and TDK on blu ray, any extra perks for buying for the trilogy?

No, not with the "Ultimate Collector's Edition" coming out next year.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Nolan cuts practically nothing from his films.

Smallest surprise ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Actually can anyone think of any scenes in this film that could have been cut without impacting the plot? Everyone complains about the first hour, but I'm not sure he could have excised anything there without causing problems. As in his other films, the plot is incredibly long and convoluted, but that's not something you can really fix in post-production.

In the pre-Avid/Final Cut days, before it was so easy to tighten scenes up, Nolan would have been screwed. His films would have been 4 hours long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

can anyone think of any scenes in this film that could have been cut without impacting the plot?

I think Bale's escape from the pit and Bane's backstory could've been curtailed or to be honest, dropped completely. Making Bane a tragic figure did nothing for his character/mystique, much like what Episodes I-III didn't do for Darth Vader. Sitting through Wayne's entire laboured triumph over a slightly too large gap in the cinema was somewhat of a trial in patience. I could've done with more of a transition/explanation of why TDKR starts off with a completely different Wayne/Batman from the end of TDK (8 years later, a recluse with a broken down body...:confused:)

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I think Bale's escape from the pit

Oh God no, that has to be there. Indeed, watching it last night I was impressed how Bruce being forced to escape despite being "raised in privilege" acts as a fascinating contrast to the twisted ideology of Bane's / Talia's 'revolution'. The film has been accused of being a bit too on the fence ideologically speaking, but it has to be that way. Bane takes advantage of the people's anger and distrust, as well as the corruption of the politicians - theoretically worthy causes. It's the way the revolution is triggered that is wrong, utilising fear rather than anger. In the pit, Bruce is forced to confront that contradiction as an individual, and only when he isn't afraid is he able to overcome the climb. Or something :p

I think the problems with the first half are mostly execution - it just feels weirdly edited and paced. But nonetheless there is little to no waste. There may have been more elegant ways to put it altogether - Juno Temple, for example, is the closest to a wasteful presence despite her limited screentime - but even in its slightly unwieldy current version pretty much everything serves the plot, and the payoffs are worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I love Nolan's Batman but I think you're giving Rises FAR too much credit, your considerations go well beyond what is presented. (and is very interesting BTW). Whatever about ideology and symbolism people might derive from it, it doesn't change that what's on screen is a guy jumping slightly farther in a suspension-of-belief-shattering segment.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I love Nolan's Batman but I think you're giving Rises FAR too much credit, your considerations go well beyond what is presented. (and is very interesting BTW). Whatever about ideology and symbolism people might derive from it, it doesn't change that what's on screen is a guy jumping slightly farther in a suspension-of-belief-shattering segment.

But the characters actually discuss (or at least hint at) this ideological conflict throughout the film, including several of the conversations that take place in the prison itself ("a child born in hell vs a man born in privilege" being a slight paraphrase of what is said). It may seem like its reading too much into it, but Nolan frequently reminds us that that is ultimately one of the film's major themes and I'm only regurgitating what is said in the film :). It is, however, one of the factors IMO that propels it beyond simply being a film about a chap in a cape.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The whole jumping the gap to escape thing harks back to the themes of Batman Begins, conquering fear. TDKR is more of a sequel to that than TDK really, goes full circle with all the Ra's Al Ghul stuff.

I thought they could have done more with the occupation of Gotham tbh, there's meant to be millions of people on the island and you see nothing of them after the initial attack and the stadium bombing. The whole rich v poor thing was a theme they didnt do enough with. One of the biggest flaws was how grand the scale became in the second half, and it lost its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Got mine today in HMV Cork. Rather strangely, they have the normal plastic case blu-ray and the steelbook for the same price €17.99, which is cheaper than the UK are getting it :D

owJYf.jpg
    Nyns8.jpg
    ylu13.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liammac73

Having seen this for the first time at the weekend I'll prob get abused for this but it wasn't anywhere near the level of the first too. Too long and very boring at times with no great surprises.
    Not sure if it has been mentioned already but the story actually had many similarities with Rocky 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

liammac73 wrote: »
    Having seen this for the first time at the weekend I'll prob get abused for this but it wasn't anywhere near the level of the first too. Too long and very boring at times with no great surprises.
    Not sure if it has been mentioned already but the story actually had many similarities with Rocky 3!
    I'd watch it again.There's alot to digest in that movie.
    I wasn't overly impressed on first viewing but enjoyed it alot more the second time round.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

An extended cut would require deleted scenes to put back into the film. Nolan cuts practically nothing from his films.

No, not with the "Ultimate Collector's Edition" coming out next year.

Second time you've said that. He does cut some stuff, all movies have some cut stuff; in this movie of note was more of Bane down the pit.

Andy!! wrote: »
    Second time you've said that. He does cut some stuff, all movies have some cut stuff; in this movie of note was more of Bane down the pit.

Which was probably one or two shots lasting 3 seconds. Not enough to justify an extended cut.

Which was probably one or two shots lasting 3 seconds. Not enough to justify an extended cut.

Probably?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Probably?

Its widely known that Nolan only shoots exactly what he needs. He's not like Peter Jackson who was able to turn The Hobbit into a trilogy with the amount of footage he had. Nolan doesn't operate like that...

Dercola wrote: »
    Its widely known that Nolan only shoots exactly what he needs. He's not like Peter Jackson who was able to turn The Hobbit into a trilogy with the amount of footage he had. Nolan doesn't operate like that...

there's a handful of alternate shots you might see in trailers or whatever, like the Joker sitting in the bus driving away from the exploding hospital in TDK. nothing major though. I would have liked to see Bane's original voice in the final cut of the film as an option but oh well.

krudler wrote: »

there's a handful of alternate shots you might see in trailers or whatever, like the Joker sitting in the bus driving away from the exploding hospital in TDK. nothing major though. I would have liked to see Bane's original voice in the final cut of the film as an option but oh well.

Exactly. TDK trailers have two significant takes that are unfortunately not in the feature, to its detriment.

That sequence that Sad Professor has described as 'probably' 3 seconds long has been described as something that would go on for at least a minute thirty; bane making himself his first mask, and training/fighting/sparring with others down the pit. Definitely not 3 seconds worth of footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Exactly. TDK trailers have two significant takes that are unfortunately not in the feature, to its detriment.

That sequence that Sad Professor has described as 'probably' 3 seconds long has been described as something that would go on for at least a minute thirty; bane making himself his first mask, and training/fighting/sparring with others down the pit. Definitely not 3 seconds worth of footage.

are you sure that scene was even filmed?

was the shot in the teaser of someone climbing the pit Bane? or was it the shot used in the film of some other prisoner scaling the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Christopher Judge's (Stargate's T'ealk) scenes were heavily cut as, at 6ft2-3", he towered over Tom Hardy's 5ft9-10"

Advertisement