Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i think the bit andy is referring to would have just been either an extra small bit of the bane origin scene (which was practically already a montage) or else replaced some of what we saw in the theatrical cut, it wouldnt have been an extra minute thirty anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Christopher Judge's (Stargate's T'ealk) scenes were heavily cut as, at 6ft2-3", he towered over Tom Hardy's 5ft9-10"

its weird seeing random actors pop up in various bitparts in the movie, you have T'ealk, Bunny Colvin from The Wire, that Mexican guy who plays a Mexican gangster in everything. Carcetti/ Littlefinger in the beginning and a few others I forget.

Christopher Judge's (Stargate's T'ealk) scenes were heavily cut as, at 6ft2-3", he towered over Tom Hardy's 5ft9-10"

Bale towers over Hardy as it is, they did a good job of hiding it though. Hardy isnt a huge guy height wise, his height is all in his neck :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

indough wrote: »
    are you sure that scene was even filmed?

It seems it was filmed. However, the idea that it was a full blown flashback sequence came from an interview with the costume designer in which she was possibly confused. In the script, Bane wearing a prototype mask and fighting is a single sentence that took place during Talia's monologue to Batman at the end of the film, so it's unlikely it would have been more than a few shots/seconds long at most. In the scene, Bane is in the temple and Ra's is watching him (the shot of Neeson is still in the film).

Hemming, however, said the deleted scene took place in the pit rather than the temple, suggesting that it was part of the earlier Bane backstory montage. But that doesn't make sense since the earlier sequences was told from the POV of the inmates and featured the female child who at that point we were being led to believe was Bane. So Hardy can't have been fighting in the pit (he didn't have a mask then). And Nolan couldn't have shown us him fighting in the temple any earlier than he did without first explaining what happened to his face, which he doesn't do until Talia's monologue at the end.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

are you sure that scene was even filmed?

Aye theres an article related to it a few pages back in this thread :)

• Advertisement

Andy!! wrote: »
    Aye theres an article related to it a few pages back in this thread :)

yeah i read that article before but i was under the impression that you were talking about a proper scene rather than a few seconds of a larger flashback sequence.

yeah i read that article before but i was under the impression that you were talking about a proper scene rather than a few seconds of a larger flashback sequence.

Yep from the sounds of things it does sound like it was a proper scene; which is why I estimated it probably would have been around the minute thirty mark. Of course its a flashback, but still a considerable one. From the sounds of things, it takes place back in the LOS hideout when they pull him out of the Lazarus pit. Its kind of like the scene in Fellowship of the Ring where the goblins chase the fellowship out of Moria into Lothlorien; one of those cool sounding scenes we might never get to see :/

if we apply the minute per page principle then that would mean the hypothetical scene you are referring to would have taken up a page and a half of script. does that sound right to you? i think its far more likely it would have been a ten second or thereabouts segment of a larger sequence. it couldnt have been that important because it was thrown away

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

krudler wrote: »
    that Mexican guy who plays a Mexican gangster in everything.

That guy actually is in everything! Last week I threw on TDKR, followed by Training Day and then Bruce Almighty and I felt like he was following me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

was the shot in the teaser of someone climbing the pit Bane? or was it the shot used in the film of some other prisoner scaling the wall.
    Same scene that was in a film, used when either Bane or the old guy were explaining the perils of the pit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

its weird seeing random actors pop up in various bitparts in the movie, you have T'ealk, Bunny Colvin from The Wire, that Mexican guy who plays a Mexican gangster in everything. Carcetti/ Littlefinger in the beginning and a few others I forget.

Det. Joey Quinn from Dexter as cop on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Exactly. TDK trailers have two significant takes that are unfortunately not in the feature, to its detriment.

That sequence that Sad Professor has described as 'probably' 3 seconds long has been described as something that would go on for at least a minute thirty; bane making himself his first mask, and training/fighting/sparring with others down the pit. Definitely not 3 seconds worth of footage.
    They actually could have stuck that into the movie while Bruce was being told Bane's story in prison instead of the boring stuff with the cops they lumped in instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Det. Joey Quinn from Dexter as cop on the bridge.
    Bunny from the Wire was on the bridge too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

maximoose wrote: »
    That little scene is a nod to Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, I loved it :)

http://i.imgur.com/uLyhl.jpg

There were quite a few nods towards Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, but that is not really a surprise as much of the film was inspired/based on that graphic novel.

Reread the graphic novel again and just imagine Bane in the place of The Mutant Leader and you pretty much get large chunks of The Dark Knight Rises.

Bats has two fights with Bane/Mutant Leader. Beaten badly in one, wins the second. Bane/Mutant leader wants to control Gotham and declares himself the law. Alfred frets a lot over Bats being ready to take on Bane/Mutant Leader.

Better yet watch the blu ray of The Dark Knight Returns and that of The Dark Knight Rises within a few days of each other. Did that over the past few nights and there are scenes in both that are almost shot for shot. When I then dug out my old The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel there were the same scenes, sans motion of course.

if we apply the minute per page principle then that would mean the hypothetical scene you are referring to would have taken up a page and a half of script. does that sound right to you? i think its far more likely it would have been a ten second or thereabouts segment of a larger sequence. it couldnt have been that important because it was thrown away

Far more likely... probably... etc... lots of useless conjecture in this thread. You're guess is as good as mine lad, not better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I rewatched Batman begins last night, easily still the weakest of the trilogy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

cloud493 wrote: »
    I rewatched Batman begins last night, easily still the weakest of the trilogy IMO.

Disagree 100%

Re-watched it last night too and this time I could actually understand the majority of what Bane said. For me, the Dark Knight is the strongest of the trilogy, with this coming in second and Batman Begins coming in last. Dark Knight comes first just for Ledger's Joker.

No way, I think it gets stronger with each viewing, plus its got he added bonus of being the first Batman movie thats actually about Batman.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I would def agree BB is the worst... For me it's: 2, 3, 1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Tough call, I watched BB again maybe 2 months ago and it was better than I remember. Rises was disappointing in the cinema but improved on home viewing but I'd need to come back to it when it's not current. Begins is a (well made but) slow origin story, TDKR basically does an entire trilogy in one film. As it stands though Begins sneaks in at #2 for me.

Far more likely... probably... etc... lots of useless conjecture in this thread. You're guess is as good as mine lad, not better.

no no, you're wrong

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No way, I think it gets stronger with each viewing, plus its got he added bonus of being the first Batman movie thats actually about Batman.

In terms of being a real straight up Batman movie its the closest of the three films to capturing the feel of the comics too imo.

no no, you're wrong

On what basis. You're telling us you've actually seen the shot footage???? OHEMGEE tell us more!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Katie holmes is not a good rachel, and the scarecrow didn't feel like a good villain, and Falconi(or however you spell that) wasn't a good mob boss. I like Gordon and Batman the most though. And he uses that mental gadget, summoning the bats to distract the cops when rachel's been poisoned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Is it worth buying a blue ray player to see this on blue ray rather than DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

They're getting quite cheap now, they're worth getting in general

Katie holmes is not a good rachel, and the scarecrow didn't feel like a good villain, and Falconi(or however you spell that) wasn't a good mob boss. I like Gordon and Batman the most though. And he uses that mental gadget, summoning the bats to distract the cops when rachel's been poisoned.

Katie Holmes is THE ONLY Rachel, Maggie acted like she was playing a dumb cheerleader when in fact she was supposed to be a Assistant D.A. And the villains were excellent, far more believable and less pantomimy. And the 'mental gadget' was a sonar device ;) beats ridiculious VR goggle any day of the week!

christ yes, the difference is unreal.

• Advertisement

Look into getting a PS3, they're pretty cheap and have one built in.

Advertisement