Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - seen thread *SPOILERS WITHIN* See Mod Warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Basq wrote: »
    - Score / Sound: a lot of people have mentioned this already but while I enjoyed Zimmer's score (though I prefer BB's score), it did seem overloud and occasionally drowned out dialogue. Bane's voice was dodgy.. anyone who says they could understand it perfectly, I'd love to test them on that and play a couple of gruff lines and ask them to repeat it. I'd be willing to bet they'd miss at least one. But at the same time.. there were times when he was perfectly understandable.

I would say two or three lines tops were difficult to understand, particularly in the cell with Bruce after the beatdown. Other than that, he was perfectly audible. I was actually more irritated with a scene between JGL and Oldham as before Oldman raised his voice, I couldn't understand a word he had said.

- Script: OK.. I've a lot of niggles here but I'll touch briefly on my biggest problems with it:
    Also odd to see Bruce quickly get over 8 years of anguish over Rachel's death by rolling around with Miranda, and then hook up with Selina not too long after. Can you even remember Rachel's hair colour now?! :rolleyes:

I think he was seeking comfort in Miranda after a pretty bad 2 days (Alfred and major fraud). Whereas with Selina, he had finally learnt to move on and let go of the past.
    - Performances: solid performances all round to be fair. Standout's being Caine (always good, although he was sorely missed with his exit an hour into the film) and Hathaway (her flip-flops between meek Kyle to a crafty cat-burglar / Catwoman were an absolute joy to watch). And always great to see Murphy as Crane again.

Caine was fantastic and like you, disappointed that he was in the film so little.
    Batman's sacrifice for the city was all a bit remiscent of that "classic" scene..

Um, what exactly about it reminded you of that scene?
    As for Alfred and the cafe in Florence - this ain't Inception kids. It wasn't a dream or a dream within a dream! :) I would have personally preferred a nod by Alfred and then the camera goes black. The scene with Alfred at the grave, although brief, showed just how amazing Caine can be.

I conceded that point earlier, mostly because the autopilot reveal with Fox went over my head.
    Sorry Mr Nolan.. but Whedon still holds the comic book movie of the year IMO.

To each their own. :) For me, TA was distinctly lacking in any heart and I never cared for any of the characters. The two films are different beasts in what they were going for, but the key thing is that TDKR gets your heart thumping and engages you, I never felt that with TA.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Gotta agree about the Bane sound issues. While I was able to hear the important parts, it was annoying not knowing what he was saying at times. And, as hatrickpatrick said, the dubbing was very obvious from his first line.

Another little problem was that feckin' batbike! :p Jesus I hate the sight of it, that's just my opinion of it though. It took nothing away from the film, I just found it annoying to look at.

Afterwards I thought it would have been good to have the Joker as the primary villain for the final of the trilogy (I know he was in TDK), mainly cos I'd consider him Batman's main enemy. I wouldn't change the film, but for such a huge finale it was nearly set up for a clash like Batman vs. the Joker.

I really enjoyed it. I was in awe of some of the action scenes! I'm a huge Batman fan and I love how they included Bane breaking Batman's back from the comics. Great to see the Scarecrow in there and the League of Shadows again. A very well done trilogy. I can only think of 3 characters they didn't include in the 3 films. So glad I got to see it early! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Did anyone else think that when Bane placed his hand on Daggett's shoulder there was a real sense of just how ridiculously physically powerful the man is?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Um, what exactly about it reminded you of that scene?
    It wasn't so much that particular scene as the whole detenation of a nuclear threat / bomb to save the day.. It's just so cliched at this stage.

I expected a little more from it and Nolan.
    To each their own. :) For me, TA was distinctly lacking in any heart and I never cared for any of the characters. The two films are different beasts in what they were going for, but the key thing is that TDKR gets your heart thumping and engages you, I never felt that with TA.
    Very true.. they are very different films.

The Avengers is a balls-to-the-wall-silly but hugely enjoyable popcorn comic book movie, but was the most enjoyable cinema experience I've had with a crowd this year.

The screening of The Dark Knight Rises I was at was packed yet there was lots of squirming in seats, forced giggles at references and just a general feeling of people waiting for something.. maybe it was the crowd.. but I think the fact it was a more subdued movie than it's predecessors may be the reasoning.

I'm not blaming the crowd.. as I've my own reasons for feeling disappointment (which I've outlined already) - but I'll gladly watch BB and TDK again and again (watched them both this week) but TDKR - as a conclusion, it's flaws outweighed it's positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,696 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I honestly think the main issues with the film have to do with people's own expectations and the standard set by the previous two. If you judge this film on its own, it's a brilliant film.

It's the fact that it doesn't quite reach the same level as the previous two that is amplifying people's disappointments. I mean, someone in this thread gave it 4/10. That's ridiculous. That is absolutely ridiculous. I know films are subjective etc etc, but 4/10?

The trouble with the final film of a trilogy is that as well as having a conclusion to the film, you need a conclusion to the whole trilogy too, and that's often where the third film suffers.

I don't know. I thought it was brilliant. I thought Bane for the most part was easy to understand, and actually found Gordon harder to understand overall. I enjoyed Blake's journey in the film. Catwoman was outstanding. Bane seemed like a true monster. Bale, Caine and Freeman were as good as ever.

I thought that while not as good as the first two (and I'd actually put BB over TDK), it was still a great film and a great conclusion to a fantastic trilogy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I really enjoyed this, I didn't feel the running time passing at all! It felt more like Batman Begins than The Dark Knight, with all the League of Shadows stuff. Bane wasn't as compelling a villain as the Joker, but he was never going to be. Still, the two physical confrontations he has with Batman are excellent; I loved the nod to the "Break you" scene in the Knightfall comic arc, where Bane smashes Batman over his knee.

The whole idea of Gotham being cut off from the rest of the world was really cool, like the No Man's Land arc in the comics. I would've liked to have seen more of how ordinary Gothamites were living under Bane's rule, but that was hardly an essential detail.

I loved all the League of Shadows stuff, kinda suspected Tate all along. When Batman had beaten Bane at the end, I knew she was going to act. Still, she was pretty convincing as a good guy.

I only aspect I was unsure of before seeing the movie was Catwoman, but Hathaway was really good. Though Bruce was very quick to forgive her betrayal in the sewers!

Bale, Levitt, Oldman and Caine were excellent, no surprises there. The scene where Alfred tells Bruce the truth about Rachel was excellent, really emotional stuff. Oldman's Gordon was always one of my favourite characters in the series and he didn't disappoint in this one. The moment where Bruce revealed his identity was great, it spoke volumes about the trusting relationship they'd developed.

All in all, a great trilogy. I suspect it'll be held up there with the original Star Wars trilogy. And, best of all, prequels are unlikely! I hope the reboot doesn't come for a long long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i thought it was great

but how exactly does a decaying nuclear core have such a precise timer? seems unlikely?
    and if yer wan was so well trained by her dad why wasn't she at least a bit muscly that batman would notice when sleeping with her?

Don't know why people don't get the autopilot thing...
    Because fox said explicitly there was no autopilot, and batman said it again to catwoman before taking off
    i still reckon an ejector seat or something would do the job at the last second anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Penn wrote: »
    I also agree that Catwoman was outstanding. I was more concerned with casting Hathaway as Catwoman than Hardy as Bane, but I was happily surprised. Hathaway was absolutely perfect in that role

Mother of God she was terrible. Everytime she was on screen me and my girlfriend would look at each other and cringe. I cant remember a worse case of miscasting. Michelle Pfeiffer put her to shame.
    I thought the film as a whole was a mess. And Im not being deliberatley awkward or hating on the batman series, it was just a bad movie. The dialogue was shocking, the plot ridiculous. Christian Bale is a fine actor, his performances in Rescue dawn, the fighter and in particular the machinist, were incredible. But he just looked apathetic and embarressed in TDKR. For a film called the Dark knight there was way too many daylight scenes. Thats waht made tim burtons batman films so great, the dark foreboding atmosphere. A Dude dressed in a batsuit looks scary and intimidating in the shadows at night, but during the daytime he just looks silly. I think they had a real chance to make a great film here but they blew it. Tom Hardy was the only saving grace, thought he did very well with what he had to work with. Ditto for Michael Caine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

bluewolf wrote: »

Because fox said explicitly there was no autopilot, and batman said it again to catwoman before taking off
    i still reckon an ejector seat or something would do the job at the last second anyway

Ye but then at the end Fox is enquiring about how he could have fixed the auto pilot and he is told it was already done 6 months ago, by Bruce Wayne.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

i thought it was great

but how exactly does a decaying nuclear core have such a precise timer? seems unlikely?
    and if yer wan was so well trained by her dad why wasn't she at least a bit muscly that batman would notice when sleeping with her?

I think it was more that she was trained in the ways of the League of Shadows....ie how to blend into her surroundings.

And Fox says in the final scenes that the auto pilot had been fixed 6 months before. Batman telling Catwoman that it was still broken was most likely for Gordon's benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

i thought it was great

Fox said the autopilot was broken and he couldn't fix it. Then at the end he is talking to an engineer in the Bat who says the autopilot was fixed 6 months ago.

Catwoman asks him if he can drop the bomb in the ocean and fly away from it but he said that he had to make sure he got it as far away as possible.

right! silly moment! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Mr. K wrote: »
    All in all, a great trilogy. I suspect it'll be held up there with the original Star Wars trilogy. And, best of all, prequels are unlikely! I hope the reboot doesn't come for a long long time!
    unfortunately a reboot is already in the works, DC Comics are making a Justice League film which there is major talk of rebooting batman in 3-4 years:(

i must say that seemed like a slog, it was a good film but it seemed much longer than its 160 minute run time, i think its a film that requires a 2nd or 3rd viewing, ill probably go see it again in a week or two,

it was a brilliant ending to an excellent trilogy, and as someone said it would have been great if alfred went to that restaurant and just smiled at someone in the distance and "cut" like inception just leave that bit of mystery did or didnt he survive, i must say though you would think he would have altered his face in some way:p,

ejector seat wouldn't do, 6 miles blast radius, what i dont get is how they recovered the bat, wouldn't it have been incinerated in the blast :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

tunguska wrote: »
    For a film called the Dark knight there was way too many daylight scenes.

You cannot be serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

don ramo wrote: »
    ejector seat wouldn't do, 6 miles blast radius, what i dont get is how they recovered the bat, wouldn't it have been incinerated in the blast :confused:

If the ejector seat shot him up high enough he could glide away with his wings and the momentum perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Surely the resulting tsunami would have wiped out a lot of Gotham anyway?

yeah i was there wondering um, no airwave? no seawaves? no nothing?

still not convinced about the timer though

i know it's good for dramatic purposes, but really

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

still not convinced about the timer though

i know it's good for dramatic purposes, but really

Could have been a failsafe for a contained explosion(by comparison) then a full meltdown.
    /theorising

If the ejector seat shot him up high enough he could glide away with his wings and the momentum perhaps.
    im no physicist but im just gonna say no here, it was nuclear so if by chance, a very big chance, he survived hed have a tumor as big as the bat in about 6 months from that amount of exposure to the blast, and hed be dead anyway,

as i said a nod from alfred would have been a nice ending, maybe nolan thought we deserved proper closure, i personally didn't, i liked how he left it open at the end of inception, and i liked how the sopranos ending just fade to black, it leave an element of mystery and generates debate on what happened,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

don ramo wrote: »
    im no physicist but im just gonna say no here, it was nuclear so if by chance, a very big chance, he survived hed have a tumor as big as the bat in about 6 months from that amount of exposure to the blast, and hed be dead anyway,

as i said a nod from alfred would have been a nice ending, maybe nolan thought we deserved proper closure, i personally didn't, i liked how he left it open at the end of inception, and i liked how the sopranos ending just fade to black, it leave an element of mystery and generates debate on what happened,

Would've been more open ended if they had just shown the scene from Alfred's perspective instead of showing Wayne and Kyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Possibly my favourite in the series.

I really enjoyed the slow build up, and when the action properly started to get going, it never let up.

Think Catwoman was perfectly cast, and thought her character was one of the best incarnations of the character across many Batman mediums.

Bane was a very effective villain, and I thought the performances and storyline were top-notch.

The ending was perfect, I wouldn't personally change a single frame.

A superb ending to one of the greatest trilogies ever created in cinema.

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bunnymunro

I enjoyed it but i dunno i think the league of shadows as the big bad were not a fitting final adversary for Batman..Probably down to the fact that the Joker was just so utterly insane and compelling in the TDK. Highpoints for me were Selina Kyles arse and Bane kicking batmans ass..I thought the whole pit thing was a bit wishy washy and Banes death very anti climactic....Could someone explain did the Doctor and the other guy in the pits specifically not mention it wasnt Bane that escaped but someone else ..did bruce just assume it was bane that had climbed out.. Bit sketchy on that part..i know they said it was the doctor that botched Banes face.. i know it was probably a bit of misdirection for the reveal that bane was only a henchman but still ..Im confused about all that doesnt sit right with me..

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

tunguska wrote: »
    I also agree that Catwoman was outstanding. I was more concerned with casting Hathaway as Catwoman than Hardy as Bane, but I was happily surprised. Hathaway was absolutely perfect in that role

Mother of God she was terrible. Everytime she was on screen me and my girlfriend would look at each other and cringe. I cant remember a worse case of miscasting. Michelle Pfeiffer put her to shame.
    I thought the film as a whole was a mess. And Im not being deliberatley awkward or hating on the batman series, it was just a bad movie. The dialogue was shocking, the plot ridiculous. Christian Bale is a fine actor, his performances in Rescue dawn, the fighter and in particular the machinist, were incredible. But he just looked apathetic and embarressed in TDKR. For a film called the Dark knight there was way too many daylight scenes. Thats waht made tim burtons batman films so great, the dark foreboding atmosphere. A Dude dressed in a batsuit looks scary and intimidating in the shadows at night, but during the daytime he just looks silly. I think they had a real chance to make a great film here but they blew it. Tom Hardy was the only saving grace, thought he did very well with what he had to work with. Ditto for Michael Caine.

This post is literally the opposite of everything I thought about the movie. Maybe stop looking at your gf and pay attention to hathaways performance next time you watch it :)

yeah it was batman assuming, they were careful to say "a child climbed out", but bane also said "i never saw the light til i was already a man" - i thought it was just an inconsistency til the truth came out
    wasn't expecting it, well done i thought
    yer wan is a great actress

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I actually feel sorry for the people who didn't enjoy this. Not in a condescending, superior way or anything, but just that it's terrible to really look forward to something and then be let down. It's happened to me over the years, and it's such a kick in the teetht. Luckily for me though, it exceeded expectations. :P

It's funny, but my local cinema isn't exactly top of the pile, but I had no problem with audio, and thought Bane's rasping, slghtly metallic voice really added to his character.

yeah it was batman assuming, they were careful to say "a child climbed out", but bane also said "i never saw the light til i was already a man" - i thought it was just an inconsistency til the truth came out
    wasn't expecting it, well done i thought
    yer wan is a great actress

cheers yeah i was thinking that ..just doesnt sit that well with me...just one of those things il have to live with i guess:D on another note bruce was pretty banged up at the start if i recall the doctor told him his knee was banjaxed..he then got the bionic leg thing off fox...from then on he was walking perfectly..even when it appeared he wasnt wearing it..maybe i missed something..

i just copped it was tom hardy in bane :o
    voice acting was superb
    serious Inception reunion, wha? him, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, cillian murphy

was laughing to see teal'c in there as well

Turpentine wrote: »
    Surely the resulting tsunami would have wiped out a lot of Gotham anyway?

:D:D:D first thing that crossed my mind when it happened...:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I honestly think the main issues with the film have to do with people's own expectations and the standard set by the previous two. If you judge this film on its own, it's a brilliant film.

It's the fact that it doesn't quite reach the same level as the previous two that is amplifying people's disappointments. I mean, someone in this thread gave it 4/10. That's ridiculous. That is absolutely ridiculous. I know films are subjective etc etc, but 4/10?

Not really that ridiculous at all, is it? True that a large number of fanboys would go crazy at the thought of somebody not liking TDKR but if you have a read around places you'll see that there's a good few people with some gripes. For what it's worth I rated both Begins and TDK 8/10 and I think this falls well short of those two. Just had a real clumsy feel to it all - jumps from scene to scene far too quickly for large parts. Which then weakens the score. And then Nolan throws some music behind nearly every scene - we get it, something is happening here/etc, no need to ram it home to the audience.

Sloppy script, heavy-handed throughout, problems with the sound for Bane's voice, problems with Zimmer's score...I think I'll stick with my rating, thanks.

Advertisement