Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK judge forces Apple to state on its site that Samsung didn't copy the iPad

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Overheal wrote: »
    I wonder how they found an impartial jury. They'd have to find 12 people in California. In California. That have not used or are not all that initially familiar with either Apple or Samsung products. How they pulled that off, I have no clue.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/connieguglielmo/2012/07/30/apple-samsung-trial-starts-with-jury-selection-still-underway/
    Judge Koh, overseeing jury selection today, told 74 potential jurors that both Apple and Samsung are suing each other over patent infringement. “If you are ultimately selected as a juror, it will be an interesting case,” she said. The court set out to find 18 possible jurors (each side was then able to reject 4 to winnow the pool to 10) who can be “fair and impartial” in making a decision on the case.

That proved a little tricky, as jurors were questioned this morning about their suitability to serve. Judge Koh asked if they have or had worked at Apple, Samsung, Google or Motorola. She asked what phones and other products they owned and whether they had plans to buy new products in the near term. Judge Kohn also asked what material they had read about the trial and if they, or if any of their family, owned shares of those companies. She asked if they used Facebook and Twitter, and if they had a blog.

Many said they owned iPhones and iPads, as well as Samsung smartphones and TVs. A few said they read the best-selling biography of Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. The first round of potential jurors, questioned this morning, contained at least one current Apple employee, who was dismissed after saying he would like his employer to win. There was also Google interface designer Steve Okamoto, who has a patent pending related to Android (Samsung uses Android’s mobile operating system) – he wasn’t selected.

The father of a member of Apple’s legal team and the father of an economist employed by Google were also in the pool. A few said they have friends who work at Apple and Google.

The father of the Apple legal employee was dismissed after he said that he had also consulted for Apple, his brother worked at the company in its early days and that “the feeling is bred into the family that we’re an Apple kind of family.” Neither Apple nor Samsung challenged his dismissal.

Several potential jurors also said they were considering buying a new smartphone in the near future and that it would be an iPhone.

Lawyers on each side were given 20 minutes for follow up questions, asking again if those who had read anything about the trial beforehand would be able to remain fair and impartial and base their decisions solely on the evidence before them. The potential jurors all agreed they could.
    There were moments of levity. Samsung lawyer Bill Price asked one juror about her comment that she is considering buying an iPad. She said she was interested in the device because she could use it while enjoying being outside in her backyard.
    “Other companies sell tablets, too,” Price said, prompting some laughter from courtroom observers.
    “Yes, but Apple comes up with really nice stuff.”

Jury selection was completed late in the day, with seven men and three women sworn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Triple the bet! It's like a good texas hold'em! :eek:

My personal opinion: lawers are gambling using money made by designers/engineers and rest of the company. And even if apple/samsung has to pay for the infrigment lawyers are still making money....

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sounds like Jury selection was a circus :P probably took them hours to ask all those questions. I was screened for jury duty back in July - only a few people stood up with exceptions to the case (eg. has anyone in your family ever been involved in a workmans comp case, worked with this lawyer firm, visited this doctor, etc) and I was still in there from 8AM to 3.

The worlds most valuable company (if you don't include inflation:D-->stick to hit Fanboys with)....................just got richer.

edit:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444812704577610012314155098.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
    The future of the Android ecosystem is now tinged with uncertainty, with other Android hardware and software designs seen to be vulnerable to lawsuits.

"It's got to create some concern for that ecosystem," Baird analyst William Power said. "The legal risks are bound to make a manufacturer think twice."

Microsoft's software, on the other hand, uses an interface of "tiles" that's markedly different from the icon-based concepts in the iPhone and Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The worlds most valuable company (if you don't include inflation:D-->stick to hit Fanboys with)....................just got richer.

I don't think so. This will not end in some Californian court.

Meanwhile legal departments at Google and Amazon will get very busy, their tablets are next on Apple's list (as is anything else of a squared design with rounded corners and icons on the display) because they are a very annoying competition for the new iPad Mini, which is supposed to be "unveiled" in September. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Samsung have to hand over 1 billion to apple for copying features of the iPad .
    Just heard it on the radio .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'm fairly sure they will appeal it,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Few hours too late there buddy.

'Enrique Gutierrez25 Aug 2012 (edited) - Public
    I can't make this stuff up

I'm sitting in a Starbucks doing random whatever over an iced americano. While I waiting for my drink, I watched a guy with his friend, pick up a newspaper; and start to remark on the Samsung Apple verdict.

Guy: "Wait, so what they're saying is, Samsung is the same as Apple?"'

The rest here:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/114476892281222708332/posts/246srfbqg6G

The only reason why I'm not laughing aloud is because I'm sitting in the middle of an open office space :D

Gutierrez got balls... going into a Starbucks with a Samsung laptop and smartphone. He got lucky they didn't burn him at the stake for blasphemy. :D

• Advertisement

Chinese company uses leaked photos to copy, patent iPhone 5 design
    Memo to Samsung (005930): Now this is how you get away with copying Apple (AAPL)! GizChina reports that a Chinese manufacturer has used leaked photos of Apple’s next-generation iPhone to slap together a quick knockoff of the device called the Goophone I5 and release it before Apple has a chance to launch the genuine article later this month. What’s more, the company has actually patented the knockoff design in China and is poised to sue Apple if it launches the next-generation iPhone in China later this year. For any Chinese readers who are interested in buying a not-quite-iPhone, GizChina says that the Goophone will feature “a Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core 1.4Ghz CPU, 1GB RAM, Android 4.0 ICS with an iOS 6 theme, 8 megapixel rear camera and a 4-inch screen with an impressive retina display resolution of 1280 x 720.”

lolololol

Bruce Willis Might Sue Apple Over iTunes

bruse.jpg?54b313

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/sep/03/no-apple-bruce-willis

The story was "broke" by the Daily Mail, so no surprises there.

Apparently, Foxconn commandeered a few hundred slave labourers from a nearby university for their iPhone 5 assembly lines.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Judge rules that iPads were not new, useful, and non-obvious, but they do look cool.

MOBILE PHONE FLOGGER Apple has sicced its lawyers on a Polish grocery store because its name might confuse some people.
    The store is called A.pl and that's apparently enough to get Apple's lawyers involved these days.

via.pngThe Inquirer (http://s.tt/1n48W)

That news really made my day! :D

I heard all apple orchard owners are next on the list! ;)

Apple seeks additional $707 million from Samsung in patent win
    "shakes head"

Big queues in Belfast for new iPhone 5
    Up to 700 people queued outside the Apple store in Belfast city centre to buy the latest iPhone earlier this morning.

applestore.gif?54b313

iphone52.jpg?54b313

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

Torqay wrote: »
    Never even said Ta Ra or nothing. Bye T. Good Poster, I'm watching for the re-reg.

Samsung to pay Apple another $290 million for patent infringement

The retrial comes after last year's ruling that Samsung owed Apple a grand total of $1.05 billion, however the retrial was initiated when Judge Lucy Koh determined about $450 million of that needed to be reevaluated. Since Samsung has already been ordered to pay $598 million, adding in the new figure of $290 million brings Apple's monetary awards to $888 million.

This most likely will not be the last we hear about this feud between the two tech giants. The loser today will probably file for appeal, plus another trial is set to begin in 2014 with some newer devices in question for infringement. Unless Samsung is successful with an appeal, it just lost fairly close to $1 billion. That's no easy payment to make, even with these companies often throwing around millions of dollars like it's pocket change.

Advertisement