Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 16 - League & Cup Banter

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

corny wrote: »
    Yeah but Amleto has been completely concentrating on the U20's this season. Next season he'll mean business!;)

I'm just hoping for a kind fixture list (half the battle).

Tue but I have a poor record against amleto anyway besides the home game last season which was due to an intensity mismatch. So my positive result there was more due to luck of the fixture list. I'll still be happy enough with my more usual 5th/6th but this is the first season I think I have a shot at the promotion places.

As you say a kind fixture list would be a huge plus.

"When a club's owner becomes inactive and the team is released for new ownership (a.k.a. becoming a bot team), if it is the second half of the regular league season, (round 8 to round 14), the club will receive a penalty of either a value large enough to push them to the bottom of the league, or 15 points; whichever is larger. However the penally will be no greater than the current number of points, i.e. the number of points cannot drop below zero. The purpose of this is to cause the club, now unowned to drop to the bottom of the league table. Once the playoff fixtures have been created, the standings are locked in and teams going bot will no longer be penalised league points."

Yeah doesn't seem fair especially when you consider the side who finished 1 point ahead of them got to play the bot twice while the rest of us had it handed to us by Openside. Luck of the draw i suppose.

I was almost raging about it myself as up till week 12 it looked like Guifin might catch me because of playing the bot twice. As it was I still had to win on the final day to confirm it and pass the bot.

It was so close to being an infuriating season.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Davyboy.

krissovo wrote: »

Me too:D

Maybe in a season or two have a community challenge for Irish exiles v's Ireland.

Lol, I'm still in Ireland tho, I'm on loan to Zim/Nam for one night only, I have also waived my commission on this occasion as an introductory mercenary once of

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Davyboy.

mar-z wrote: »

Tue but I have a poor record against amleto anyway besides the home game last season which was due to an intensity mismatch. So my positive result there was more due to luck of the fixture list. I'll still be happy enough with my more usual 5th/6th but this is the first season I think I have a shot at the promotion places.

As you say a kind fixture list would be a huge plus.

I was almost raging about it myself as up till week 12 it looked like Guifin might catch me because of playing the bot twice. As it was I still had to win on the final day to confirm it and pass the bot.

It was so close to being an infuriating season.

My missus is still raging over that game, she forgot to push the TNT button, WNIM got her relegated

Davyboy. wrote: »
    My missus is still raging over that game, she forgot to push the TNT button, WNIM got her relegated

Yeah I was shocked when I realised Breifne played wnwim (didn't realise she was your missus Davy).

The game wou;d have been scary as hell if she ltnt'd. I'd most likely have lost but would have been scrambling for the bp that would let me survive.

Needless to say I was delightedthat she neglected br for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Now I can't wait for it to start! Gah! Damn this down time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Now I can't wait for it to start! Gah! Damn this down time!

Longest week of the season. Only made worse by u20 final on sat!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

Davyboy. wrote: »
    Lol, I'm still in Ireland tho, I'm on loan to Zim/Nam for one night only, I have also waived my commission on this occasion as an introductory mercenary once of
    hows your game looking? i won 76-0 easy peasy come on zim/nam/davyland

the fear of you new 8.5 star outhalf getting injured with a rele playoff weds and then the joy of him being available for next match yeha.

also mar-z nice new player where you planning on playing was going to bid on him but prob as a fb?

seanand wrote: »
    also mar-z nice new player where you planning on playing was going to bid on him but prob as a fb?

Age is catching up on my sh so he'll be one of 3 players I'll play as sh or fb next season depending on energy, form, etc.

I really should pay more attention to my bidding though. I didn't mean to spend so much on him.

Speaking of bidding, not one god damn appropriate second row on the market at the moment.

Drew up a list of players I'm going to sell off, all 1st team lads who are getting on (possibly a dumb move after moving to Div II where I'll need all my fire power) but there's a shocking shortfall in a number of key positions on the market. Don't want to sell a 2nd row unless I have a youngster training up for the position.

mar-z wrote: »
    Age is catching up on my sh so he'll be one of 3 players I'll play as sh or fb next season depending on energy, form, etc.

I really should pay more attention to my bidding though. I didn't mean to spend so much on him.
    ya was going to bid but you took it too high, hed be a great bench can possibly play every position from 4-15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Speaking of bidding, not one god damn appropriate second row on the market at the moment.

Drew up a list of players I'm going to sell off, all 1st team lads who are getting on (possibly a dumb move after moving to Div II where I'll need all my fire power) but there's a shocking shortfall in a number of key positions on the market. Don't want to sell a 2nd row unless I have a youngster training up for the position.

I assume there will be plenty once week 1/2 rolls around. You'll have to pay for them if they've got U20 potential of course.

I assume there will be plenty once week 1/2 rolls around. You'll have to pay for them if they've got U20 potential of course.

Are u20's better bought at the start or end of a season? I wouldn't be opposed to buying a prospective U20 and training him up, but it's not my goal... so if waiting a few weeks meant getting a better deal, well, I can do that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Are u20's better bought at the start or end of a season? I wouldn't be opposed to buying a prospective U20 and training him up, but it's not my goal... so if waiting a few weeks meant getting a better deal, well, I can do that too.

waiting will get you a better deal, everyone has their prize money first few weeks, and also cup cash coming in. then players start hitting the market as people shed squad players as they knocked out of cup etc. this I have found is the cheapest period from mid season onwards.

eoferrall wrote: »
    waiting will get you a better deal, everyone has their prize money first few weeks, and also cup cash coming in. then players start hitting the market as people shed squad players as they knocked out of cup etc. this I have found is the cheapest period from mid season onwards.

Ah mid-season is an age away. Sure, I guess I'll just have to let the scouting tool do its work. Have the cash saved for a special someone if needs be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

eoferrall wrote: »
    I have found is the cheapest period from mid season onwards.
    I'd agree with that; Week 10-13 is a great time to get a bargain, but the market quality tends to be slim pickings at that stage.

Any who's been planning and who's got a good prospect for sale will sell in weeks 16-3 in order to soak up some of that prize/cup cash. Which means that this is the time the player you really want is most likely to come on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'd agree with that; Week 10-13 is a great time to get a bargain, but the market quality tends to be slim pickings at that stage.

Any who's been planning and who's got a good prospect for sale will sell in weeks 16-3 in order to soak up some of that prize/cup cash. Which means that this is the time the player you really want is most likely to come on the market.

I tend to ignore the market for the next week or 3. Then sort of "drop in" from mid season on. I have a shopping list but its a sort of "sometime in the next season" type list. This way I hope to hang around for a bargain.

Looking at the TM at the moment, it's crazy. For instance, at the moment there is an 18 y/o (19 in wk 5) 58k CSR utility back with bidding at more than $500k!!! (granted he has 12 speed which will inflate the demand a bit) but that is some value!

Players with height more than ~204/205 will always be over prived though. Espiecally if they have a bit of weight too.

crisco10 wrote: »
    I tend to ignore the market for the next week or 3. Then sort of "drop in" from mid season on. I have a shopping list but its a sort of "sometime in the next season" type list. This way I hope to hang around for a bargain.

Looking at the TM at the moment, it's crazy. For instance, at the moment there is an 18 y/o (19 in wk 5) 58k CSR utility back with bidding at more than $500k!!! (granted he has 12 speed which will inflate the demand a bit) but that is some value!

Players with height more than ~204/205 will always be over prived though. Espiecally if they have a bit of weight too.

Yeah. Think I'm going to buy good trainables but poor normal skills. Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Getting my ass handed to me in this play off game. How were cork coyotes even in the bottom 4?

Yeah. Think I'm going to buy good trainables but poor normal skills. Probably.

im confused fewi what you looking for a really lock or a trainee?

seanand wrote: »
    im confused fewi what you looking for a really lock or a trainee?

Looking for a young lock who is going to become an amazing lock. Currently have four locks (yes, I run a full 1st XV and 2nd XV, yes, I know it's silly) and I want to sell off the oldest lock, who is an absolute beast around the park but somewhat lacking in the air. Then I'll promote one of the current youngsters who's now getting lots of 1st team action anyway, and let the new purchase play on the 2nds. I try to keep my 2nds at a pretty decent standard, so fielding them isn't necessarily accepting defeat in a match. They're mostly made up of young players and out-of-form 1st teamers.
    At the moment I have a few 22 year olds who could replace some of the 28 year olds, so I'm looking to start filtering in some 17 year olds to keep the process ticking over, hoping for better results each time. So, I'd go for a weaker skilled lock now if it meant he'd be a beast when the current lads retire.

I know what you mean Ajeff, just checked to see how Kilsough got on. Wow. 55-3 against them and the stats would make a bot look good. BJD Panthers either got the tactics perfect or they're just a beast of a team, no idea how they didn't do better (and also quite afraid if that's what's instore for me in Div II!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Hope the U20's bring it home tomorrow; fourth times a charm.

Advertisement