Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 16 - League & Cup Banter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

ajeffares wrote: »
    Hurst RFC. They had me in terms of CSR. Must be someones second team because my normal vs their normal was 63-14 to me. Something wrong there I think.

Maybe they're just not very good at the game?

Thought I remembered them, and turns out I beat them 7-25 in the cup too.

Then you look at their trophy cabinet and see the best they've gotten is a bronze in Div III last season, so, on those indicators I reckon you rightly had them without shenanigans.

Having said all that, they are in the top 100 in the country in terms of rankings.

Course they could be someone's second team, though I'd expect better results, even if it was the neglected other team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

Hurst is in my league and has the best team in terms of CSR by far than the rest, but doesn't seem to do much and I never have to worry about playing them to much

bossa_nova wrote: »
    Hurst is in my league and has the best team in terms of CSR by far than the rest, but doesn't seem to do much and I never have to worry about playing them to much

Odd one alright.

Ugh. My dreams of promotion are being nicely dashed. Currently 24-0 against me. Very odd match in terms of stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

bossa_nova wrote: »

Probably a manager that is only half interested in the game

Solidly taken apart in the league, though we both went TNT and he took the win by 2 tries, so, not as crushing as the usually Mauling Bear, um, mauling :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I got a badass giant killer div 4 team in next round. he beat justified ancients tonight 9-7 but his energy is screwed now so i should be safe.

i have been noticing some of the smaller teams taking chances with a LTNT knowing the big team will more then likely be playing WNWIM....the cheeky bastards! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Easy win against a fellow boardsie tonight, feel bad as I knew I had him big time on energy, but he TNT'd and now he's last in his league with 11 players on Dead energy level.

Anyway I'll be feeling the pain next week as I've drawn a team who are 3rd in Div II, think I might be saving energy in that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭bossa_nova

ugh bit annoyed and that match last night, thought the team where gonna roll me over either way i played it so i went WNIM to save energy, was winnnig 12-0 until 65th minute and lost 12-26, normal would have done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

sold a few as im out of the cup and have had a great few weeks in the league gauranteed to stay up and they well and truly payed for my lvl5s yaaaaaay :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

seanand wrote: »
    sold a few as im out of the cup and have had a great few weeks in the league gauranteed to stay up and they well and truly payed for my lvl5s yaaaaaay :D:D

I did that at the end of two seasons ago, didnt look like I would stay up so sold the star players, paid for training centre, coaches and stadium rearrangements, technically in a much better position that last time i was promoted but havent scored a single point yet so its looking like it is going to be tough for me. Have three u20 players ocming through start of next season though hopefully

• Advertisement

After struggling through two rough rounds in the cup I was hoping for a nice easy match for next Wednesday. So my next opposition is . . . http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=9295767

Trippie wrote: »
    I did that at the end of two seasons ago, didnt look like I would stay up so sold the star players, paid for training centre, coaches and stadium rearrangements, technically in a much better position that last time i was promoted but havent scored a single point yet so its looking like it is going to be tough for me. Have three u20 players ocming through start of next season though hopefully

im on 15 pts and hopefully ill pick up another 5 this weekend then rest up till rd8 when the tnts start again, may even get the playoffs. which would be great as itll be tight cash wise, already making a lose without a game of 50k a week :(

I got a badass giant killer div 4 team in next round. he beat justified ancients tonight 9-7 but his energy is screwed now so i should be safe.

i have been noticing some of the smaller teams taking chances with a LTNT knowing the big team will more then likely be playing WNWIM....the cheeky bastards! :pac:

No way! That's a massive upset, but hugely impressive!

Y'know, you might as well go for a TNT when you're in Div IV with probably one main rival. My most successful cup years were when I had a baby team and were able to TNT bigger teams that only saw the CSR. Of course now my CSR makes the threat somewhat credible, so the trick doesn't work anymore.
    ajeffares wrote: »
    After struggling through two rough rounds in the cup I was hoping for a nice easy match for next Wednesday. So my next opposition is . . . http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/tools.live.scoring.php#fixture=9295767

Wow, that is tough, but a Div IV team just beat Mumu, so, go for it! :D

Ah, had an insane day in work and forgot to set my team for the cup. Got beaten by two tries, so now I'm thinking I could have taken him, but would have been slightly screwed for the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Massive game for me this afternoon, head to head against my main rival for the league. If I win, I reckon I'll have a decent shot at winning the league and who knows, if I can get good enough, maybe even promoted (not that that would be a good thing, going by Boards League results :(), but being in division IV, it usually comes down to just two teams, with only two other human players in the league, but they're both a fair bit off the pace.

Fingers crossed all go's well!!

Fewcifur wrote: »

Ah, had an insane day in work and forgot to set my team for the cup. Got beaten by two tries, so now I'm thinking I could have taken him, but would have been slightly screwed for the league.

Its tempting, but I don't have great squad depth at the moment so it might be a better idea to just roll over.

We'll have to see . .

well it was just one step too far and after losing 55-3 the playoffs is id say out of my reach esp with a big team logging in with 2 days to go before hes bot.
    aw well i taught id be lucky to stay and i should do that

and again getting lvl5s :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Look to have my third win on the trot in division 2! I think it's actually the first time I have managed to string results together in this division so vry happy. Although my energy will have taken a battering and a half.

30 points clear and bonus point secured. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

mar-z wrote: »
    Look to have my third win on the trot in division 2! I think it's actually the first time I have managed to string results together in this division so vry happy. Although my energy will have taken a battering and a half.

30 points clear and bonus point secured. :D

Super win congrats.

I broke the cardinal rule. If you're going to LTNT, make sure you win.:(

corny wrote: »
    Super win congrats.

I broke the cardinal rule. If you're going to LTNT, make sure you win.:(

Too true! Nothing worse than playing LTNT and losing. Makes you feel like a fool.

Fetch took out Vitamin G, so now the league is wide open again. Was afraid it'd be a case of the Div II team dominating, but now it's Fingal Bears in the lead and me and Viti with a loss each. Exciting times with me playing Fingal next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Im surprised this didnt get any kind of mention at all in the news feed. Its definitely shock of the season if not of the last few seasons and it would have been nice for the Div 4 team, Kenneally RFC, to get the acknowledgement and show other lower tier teams when faced with an insurmountable task that nothing is impossible.

Have a Div II team in the cup tonight and was planning on just throwing it, forgot to set my team so accidentally ended up playing my default team at WNWIM. Just logged in and I'm 8-20 up with 18mins to go :eek:

It's Official!!!!:D:D:D

I've just beaten a team in the Top 30 in the country away from home WNWIM!!

Just glad I didn't get home in time to actually set my team:o

Looks like Mighty Maks normalled with his seconds

Zagato wrote: »
    It's Official!!!!:D:D:D

I've just beaten a team in the Top 30 in the country away from home WNWIM!!

Just glad I didn't get home in time to actually set my team:o

Looks like Mighty Maks normalled with his seconds

Excellent win!

That'll teach him to lash out the 2nds, sure isn't it his 1st that are Div II quality. Ah well, sure some lads will never learn :)

I'm an idiot.

Turns out I don't have Fingal Bears this weekend, I have one of the new lads from div IV.

Which means I could have TNTed with my 1sts in the cups.

Which means I probably would have won and stayed up.

And had a week to recover. Fudge.

Seems my BR season wouldn't be complete without one of these random fcuk ups :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I'm an idiot.

Turns out I don't have Fingal Bears this weekend, I have one of the new lads from div IV.

Which means I could have TNTed with my 1sts in the cups.

Which means I probably would have won and stayed up.

And had a week to recover. Fudge.

Seems my BR season wouldn't be complete without one of these random fcuk ups :D

All is well with the world, fewi has had his seasonal f up! Bit early this season though:confused::confused: we could have a double fewi this season;)

Phonehead wrote: »
    All is well with the world, fewi has had his seasonal f up! Bit early this season though:confused::confused: we could have a double fewi this season;)

Yeah, I was hoping to push for promotion this season, so, one more match in the cup isn't a big enough disaster. No, I need it to be huge, like accidentally putting my seconds out in the quarter finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

8 games left in league but i can safely say il be back in div 4 next season.
    6 games in i havent been near a win while everyone else has at least 2 wins. if i get anywhere near a losing bonus point il be doing well

ormond lad wrote: »
    6 games in i havent been near a win while everyone else has at least 2 wins. if i get anywhere near a losing bonus point il be doing well

Chin up, there's a whole half a season left. Being outgunned means you can just go loco and a few random wins might be enough to keep you up.

Right, step 1: Stop TNTing. Half of your squad is dead tired and that's causing all those injuries. On average you're meant to have at most 2 injuries in your squad, but good energy cuts that down and low energy goes the other way.
    You have 17 players that shouldn't touch a ball for the next two weeks, meaning you've only got 11 players to mess around with. Do you have the cash to do some short-term shoring up? Or some long-term investment? Because now might be a good time to do it.

Looking at the rest of your league, no real reason you shouldn't be competitive enough to stay up. Top half is terrifying, but the rest should be doable for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

ormond lad wrote: »
    Chin up, there's a whole half a season left. Being outgunned means you can just go loco and a few random wins might be enough to keep you up.

Right, step 1: Stop TNTing. Half of your squad is dead tired and that's causing all those injuries. On average you're meant to have at most 2 injuries in your squad, but good energy cuts that down and low energy goes the other way.
    You have 17 players that shouldn't touch a ball for the next two weeks, meaning you've only got 11 players to mess around with. Do you have the cash to do some short-term shoring up? Or some long-term investment? Because now might be a good time to do it.

Looking at the rest of your league, no real reason you shouldn't be competitive enough to stay up. Top half is terrifying, but the rest should be doable for ya.

Step 2 have a look at the teams around you and their fixtures, where will they have a pretty certain LTNT match and will you play them week before or after were you might get a LTNT against normal/wnimw. try and identify situations to utilise LTNT rather than firing it off in every match otherwise it is not effective as you are learning.

You need to pick your fights strategically, and effectively against the top for just play wnwim. you'll ship big losses but so what. safe energy and compete for 6th place.

Advertisement