Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

atheist wins right to wear pasta strainer on Drivers license

• 14-07-2011 1:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been posted already.
    If it hasn't, its too funny to let pass without mentioning

Austrian man wins three-year battle to wear pasta strainer on driving licence photo
    AN AUSTRIAN MAN has won a three-year battle to have local authorities issue him with a driving licence including an image of a pasta strainer.

Niko Alm wanted to have his photo, with the upside-down colander atop his head, included in his licence for religious reasons – claiming he adheres to the religion of Pastafarianism.
    But AFP reports that when he submitted a photograph – claiming it was appropriate under the country’s usual rules which allow headgear to be included in official photographs for “confessional” reasons – he ran into problems with Austrian licence authorities.

They delayed Alm’s application – at one point even sending him for psychiatric evaluation, wondering whether he was fit to drive – but have now finally issued a licence featuring Alm’s photo featuring the inverted pasta strainer.

Alm had documented his issues in securing the driving licence on his blog, where he yesterday posted official photographic proof of his new licence.
    Pastafarianism is a ‘religion’ adhered to by atheists seeking to illustrate what they see as the absurdity of structured religion or the belief in a deity.
    Its only dogma is the rejection of religious dogma itself, and its basic premise is that a Flying Spaghetti Monster (Pastafarianism’s own deity) was just as likely to have created the universe than a traditionally believed ‘God’.
    Alm is now hoping to have Pastafarianism accepted as an official religion in Austria
    http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/austrian-man-wins-three-year-battle-to-wear-pasta-strainer-on-driving-licence-photo-176196-Jul2011/

You gotta laugh - I suppose his 'religion' is just as valid as the next guys?
    Thats it - I'm starting up a religion involving Jelly Babies. Who's in? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

already a thread biggins.
    and all the puns have been made

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

FatherLen wrote: »
    already a thread biggins.
    and all the puns have been made
    Apologies then. Feel free to lock me up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Yup, not like ya Biggins, must the lack of big Rice Crispies :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056326836

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Yup, not like ya Biggins, must the lack of big Rice Crispies :p
    True, slipping with old age. :o
    A' well, at least I have my Jelly Babies. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

A Member of the 'Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster' won his case to wear a pasta strainer on his drivers license photo by claiming it was 'religious headgear'.

linky here

That is actully epic

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Douglas Adams could not have written it any better..excellent..:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

My cheeks are sore from laughing....

He has a strainer on his head!!!! hahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ramen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Pastafarianism. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

These spaghetti monster lovers are getting pasta joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hang on, how could he be an Atheist while believing in a Deity called the Spagetti Monster( praise be upon him) ? :confused:
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

That article linked to an uncyclopedia page as a reference!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

How come so many atheists are so obsessed with religion?

galwayrush wrote: »
    Hang on, how could he be an Atheist whilebelieving in a Deity called the Spagetti Monster( praise be upon him) ? :confused:
    Because that's why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

2007 called it wants its news story back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Didn't this happen ages ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

this story is as old as the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

dirtyden wrote: »

Because they feel it has a seriously detrimental effect on society and that pisses them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think it's more that people who learn about religion, its origins and its history will tend to be atheists.

Not religion, exactly, but the effects of religion on society. You know society? That thing in which we all have to live in and put up with each other in? You can also refer to it as reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

A Member of the 'Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster' won his case to wear a pasta strainer on his drivers license photo by claiming it was 'religious headgear'.

linky here

That is actully epic

So he is definitley NOT an athiest then, time for a thread title change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

Would you get away with this in good old ireland?

If you could form your old religion and donate your wages to it getting some tax back - just thinking out loud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

SocSocPol wrote: »
    So he is definitley NOT an athiest then, time for a thread title change?

I doubt anyone would find that necessary!

Also, the thread title is accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

this story is as old as the internet

Pastafarians believe the internet is only 6000 days old.

They added up all the servings since Vermicelli and Spaghettie gave the world their first born son Tagliatelle, who was born of the Virgin (Olive Oil)... That's science fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

galwayrush wrote: »
    ...the Spagetti Monster( praise be upon him) ? :confused:

I think you meant to say, "Bolognese be upon him".

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Not religion, exactly, but the effects of religion on society. You know society? That thing in which we all have to live in and put up with each other in? You can also refer to it as reality.

Reasonable I guess, but to me it seems more like an exercise in smugness. The guy referenced here went to a lot of effort to highlight his view of the ridiculousness of religion with his pretty childish stunt.

If he wanted to highlight the effects of religion in society he could have done something a little more effective (like perhaps highlighting the effect of religion on society). The standard atheist standpoint seems to me to be how stupid are you to believe in a deity and how enlightened are we not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Zany atheists are so irritating, they almost make the thought of taking it up the ass from a Christian Brother preferable.

Reasonable I guess, but to me it seems more like an exercise in smugness. The guy referenced here went to a lot of effort to highlight his view of the ridiculousness of religion with his pretty childish stunt.

If he wanted to highlight the effects of religion in society he could have done something a little more effective (like perhaps highlighting the effect of religion on society). The standard atheist standpoint seems to me to be how stupid are you to believe in a deity and how enlightened are we not to.

The standard creationist repost to being told their beliefs are utter bullsh*t seems to be being offended, pretty much like here.

What's the matter? Didn't God give you a spine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

It reminds of two lads in work ,one used to keep talking about how there had to be a god and the other fellow kept talking about why there wasn't a god,I am not sure which one was more annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Moron being difficult just for the sake of being difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Moron being difficult just for the sake of being difficult.

That's enough about you, what do you think of the story posted by the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That guy's a few penne's short of the full shilling.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The standard creationist repost to being told their beliefs are utter bullsh*t seems to be being offended, pretty much like here.

What's the matter? Didn't God give you a spine?

Ah another angry atheist. Not sure what your comment about the spine relates to.

I am not a creationist, I am not really a believer in anything but I dont abide with the opinion that people who do are somehow idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Fantastic news for world peace. It's a great diplomatic move to keep the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster on side. I fear that upsetting them would lead to World War 3.

Ah another angry atheist. Not sure what your comment about the spine relates to.

I'm not angry in the least my good friend ;)
    I am not a creationist, I am not really a believer in anything

Then you are an atheist ;)
    but I dont abide with the opinion that people who do are somehow idiots.

Then stop perpetrating the stereotype!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Internet atheists needs to talk about their beliefs (or lack of, whatever) more. I don't think enough people realise how intelligent and enlightened they are yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Or agnostic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

how come so many gays are so obsessed with not being able to marry?

it's because it affects their lives

Helix wrote: »
    how come so many gays are so obsessed with not being able to marry?

it's because it affects their lives

It will only affect your life if you allow it, unless perhaps you live in an islamic republic. I dont see religion affecting my life in any way, apart having to throw 50 euros in a card for a few confirmations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I'm not angry in the least my good friend ;)

Then stop perpetrating the stereotype!

There are certain brands of atheists however, chiefly, the smug, self-righteous "when will they wake up and smell the coffee" type. Just fcuking leave them be.

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    There are certain brands of people however, chiefly, the smug, self-righteous "when will they wake up and smell the coffee" type. Just fcuking leave them be.

FYP!

FYP!

Agreed :pac:

I'd say most atheists would like to see a secular society. Many theists want this, too. I find the religion/non religion discussions very interesting. Whenever a discussion starts on that, I'm going to take part. Religionists find such discussions interesting too, as they get involved, obviously. A third party finds them interesting... In the sense of moaning about the discussions. By my estimation, one of the parties ought to find better things to do.
    I am not a creationist, I am not really a believer in anything but I dont abide with the opinion that people who do are somehow idiots.
    Broadly speaking, people are idiots. Or, maybe you'd prefer ignorant. It is the nature of us not knowing everything. And being ready to believe things in the absence of evidence. If you wish to propose, broadly speaking, people aren't idiots I'd say you have a faulty premise. Just look at how there are all manner of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and generally silly things people buy in to.

Being an atheist doesn't on its own make you smart. Plenty of atheists do fall for other traps, so it isn't as simple as all atheists are geniuses, or all theists are dumb as they might generally be very smart, except on matters of religion.

It will only affect your life if you allow it, unless perhaps you live in an islamic republic. I dont see religion affecting my life in any way, apart having to throw 50 euros in a card for a few confirmations.

religion very much affects life in ireland. if you have kids, for example, unless you're lucky enough to live near an educate together school (which are only relatively new) then you basically have to get your child baptised to get them an education

that's a major part

then as tax payers, you have to subsidise the payment to victims of child abuse at the hands of the clergy, because the church decided that they shouldnt have to pay most of it and the government agreed

then there's the fact that religion stops gay people getting married, to use the example above. it also stops people going to the pub on good friday or christmas day, not exactly big things, but it's still dictation of how people should be leading their lives

there are countless examples of how religion affects the lives of people in ireland

you could look elsewhere to see even more extreme examples too if you're bothered, which i suspect you're not

:eek:

There are certain brands of atheists however, chiefly, the smug, self-righteous "when will they wake up and smell the coffee" type. Just fcuking leave them be.

those people are still a minuscule fraction of the number of religion pushers though, and the fact of the matter is that they're only that way because they're sick of religion being "untouchable"

if a man says he believes in fairies, he's mentally unstable

if he says he believes in a magic man in the sky who can read our thoughts, see the future and had a zombie son, he's an upstanding member of society

those people are still a minuscule fraction of the number of religion pushers though, and the fact of the matter is that they're only that way because they're sick of religion being "untouchable"

if a man says he believes in fairies, he's mentally unstable

if he says he believes in a magic man in the sky who can read our thoughts, see the future and had a zombie son, he's an upstanding member of society

Are there really that many "relgion pushers" tho? The only ones I can think of are Jehovas witness and we all treat them with the contempt they deserve.

Lol! It's funny how you talk about ahteists saying creationists are stupid, then you come out with a ridiculously ignorant statement like the above!

Tell this to women who feel it's their right to have an abortion, to gay couples who want to marry and who want to adopt children, tell it to the parents who want their children to be brought up in school without being indoctrinated with the Catholic ethos, tell it to those who would like a drink on the Friday before Easter.................. need I go on?

Are there really that many "relgion pushers" tho? The only ones I can think of are Jehovas witness and we all treat them with the contempt they deserve.

there are plenty of them

im not talking about people going door to door, im talking about the religious equivalent of the atheists you mentioned. there are many, many times more of them than there are atheists full stop

there are plenty of them

im not talking about people going door to door, im talking about the religious equivalent of the atheists you mentioned. there are many, many times more of them than there are atheists full stop

I suppose you are right. Either way they both annoy me. I guess religion is much more ingrained in our society.

It's funny how something like marriage, a fundamentally religious institute, has come to be important in many other aspects of life outside of religion itself.

I do think peoples attitudes are changing and civil partnerships (that confer all the benefits of marriage, without the religious element) are becoming much more common and it's about time.

Despite that, I think the complaints that most atheists have about religion in Irish society are for the most part "first world problems" and religion in places like Iran is used in a much more sinister way...

• Advertisement
Advertisement