Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

atheist wins right to wear pasta strainer on Drivers license

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Posts like this always leave me baffled!

if you don't know the valid reasons why those who don't believe in God have a problem with the institutions such as the RCC, their influences etc etc then why are you commenting?

I don't like people pushing their beliefs down other peoples throats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Nope, no pasta police.
    What about the police?
    Surely there is a note on his licence about the head gear and how he stated that he wears it all of the time outside the house leading to legal trouble.
    One thing I don't get is why people get their nose bend out of shape over somebody wearing a head item in their picture given that the person is going to be wearing it outside anyway. This whole thing that everyone has keep their face clear is BS. I had my passport refused twice because I was wearing glasses. I wear them everyday and everyother photo has me wearing them. Now I have to take off my glasses going through PP control. which is a pain in the ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

and Atheist is the first thing that comes to your mind? :rolleyes:

Also, atheists DON'T HAVE BELIEFS!!!!! That's the point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Also, name me ONE atheist who has killed someone in the name of Atheism.

Please don't do this. I don't care what you believe in, one-up-manship* derails meaningful arguments.

*And no, that was not a pun involving your Super Mario avatar, I really mean it.

a5y wrote: »
    Please don't do this. I don't care what you believe in, one-up-manship* derails meaningful arguments.

*And no, that was not a pun involving your Super Mario avatar, I really mean it.

DON'T SHOVE YOUR BELIEFS DOWN MY THROAT!!!!!!

:pac:

Actually atheism means the lack of a belief in a diety. There's nothing to say you couldn't have beliefs in the paranormal or whatever else, and the implication that atheists only believe in the rational universe is an amusing stretch.

So please don't conflate entirely separate ideas or shout at other posts,.

no i thought of a certain american church first
    ok you don't have beliefs put some people do why do you have to be aggressive about it. Unless someone is a complete fanatic there religion is irrelevant IMO

Actually atheism means the lack of a belief in a diety. There's nothing to say you couldn't have beliefs in the paranormal or whatever else, and the implication that atheists only believe in the rational universe is an amusing stretch.

So please don't conflate entirely separate ideas or shout at other posts,.

:rolleyes:

We're having a conversation about religious beliefs. I'm pretty sure when I said "beliefs" it was implied pretty strongly that I meant in dieties and not that they don't have any beliefs of any kind.

Also the shouting was ironic and in jest.

I'm not sure why I have to keep explaining obvious things to you.

no i thought of a certain american church first
    ok you don't have beliefs put some people do why do you have to be aggressive about it. Unless someone is a complete fanatic there religion is irrelevant IMO

Well your opinion is wrong. Because the collective power of and influence of the church, as i've already said, stops gay people from marrying, from adopting, women from choosing to terminate pregnancy, hampers criminal investigations into child rape etc etc.

It's funny because you seem to have a dislike for Atheists, without actually knowing anything about the Atheists you speak of!

DON'T SHOVE YOUR BELIEFS DOWN MY THROAT!!!!!!

:pac:

*looks at the breadcrumbs at the banner at the top*

*Home > Rec > After Hours

Ah shiiiiii-

"Screw it. Go nuts guys, I haven't a damn it give."

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    There are certain brands of atheists however, chiefly, the smug, self-righteous "when will they wake up and smell the coffee" type. Just fcuking leave them be.

The majority of the country claim to be religious in some way. Atheists are a small minority whose only real representation is themselves.

The main religion is Roman Catholicism, an incredibly powerful institution whose policies (and leader, who is considered to be infallible) perpetuate the AIDS epidemic in Africa and poverty in the developing world as a whole by opposing contraception, abortion and the empowerment of women.

They believe their god considers homosexuals and non-believers to be abominations: we still don't have marriage equality.

They run the majority of our schools and what they call an 'ethos' is actually teaching children that faith (believing something without evidence) is good and that they should feel guilty for doing childlike things or - as they get older - exploring their sexuality. Oh, you're from a family of another faith or none? Well, you're second-class.

They still wield considerable power over our national policy, despite the revelation that for decades they systematically colluded with the state to cover up the rape of children in the aforementioned schools. Think about that: they still run our schools.

A bizarre fusion of religion and politics saw our island torn apart for most of the 20th century and even today, the north is still a fragile place.

Non-Catholic Christians knock on your door and stop you in the street to tell you that Jesus is lord and if you don't accept him, you can enjoy hell.

But atheists are annoying or "aggressive" - and just as bad as the religious - because they think all of the above warrants some kind of criticism and use words to express their disapproval?

What?

Well your opinion is wrong. Because the collective power of and influence of the church, as i've already said, stops gay people from marrying, from adopting, women from choosing to terminate pregnancy, hampers criminal investigations into child rape etc etc.

It's funny because you seem to have a dislike for Atheists, without actually knowing anything about the Atheists you speak of!

your assuming im a catholic and that I am sportive of the church as an institution which I don't I am a catholic I confess but I am also a secularist
    you seem to know little about the people who make up the church

Does anyone know if Pastafarians are obliged to remove their religious headgear when going through airport security?

So what if they set off the metal detectors, its an issue of sacred cookware and decency to orthodox Pastafarians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Have to say the people who actually call themselves atheists really get on my nerves.
    Why? What do you think is meant by atheism? It isn't a belief there is no god, but it is a disbelief in the claims of theism. I just got a sense from later posts you have have a misapprehension of what atheism is. If I'm incorrect, apologies.
    I don't understand why they can't just let people get on with their faiths if they have any.
    It seems you have this image in your mind about the tactics of atheists, and all go along with this preconceived notion you have in your mind.

In real life, I enjoy when religion or politics come up in conversation. Hate how there is that idea that these things shouldn't be discussed. I'd rather such things be discussed than say, sport any day of the week. When such discussions come up, points are made on either side of the table. Nothing is forced there.

On forums, which is where I largely get involved in such discussions, well people are free to jump in or leave at any point. People know what a thread is about. One chooses to read such threads or not. You have your work cut out for you if trying to make a case that a person is forcing something down ones throat on a forum. I welcome you making such a case. If you do so, may I recommend a career in litigation?
    Im not religious myself but I don't force it down people's throats to be like me let people make their own minds up.
    The general approach of atheists to religionists would be: Ok, you believe that. On what basis? Any evidence? Questions like this. What is being forced by questions?
    Also when giving out about schools be they Catholic,Protestant,Islamic or whatever else why shouldn't those schools accept people from their faiths first?
    You wouldn't accept such terms if one was to replace the above with ethnicities instead of religions. In the same way, I reject the above notion.
    tldr: zealot atheists are more annoying than religious zealots.
    May I ask you something? Do you give the tiniest, little bit of a damn about politics in any sense? I don't care what your politics are, just curious about your seeming apathy to what is going on in the world extends beyond religion.
    Don't look up the Vatican/pope.
    Actually atheism means the lack of a belief in a diety.
    While this is true, the lack is probably a poor word choice.
    There's nothing to say you couldn't have beliefs in the paranormal or whatever else, and the implication that atheists only believe in the rational universe is an amusing stretch.
    But in much the same way as anyone identifying with any label, it tells you no more than what is intended by the label. Indeed, you are true, to be an atheist in no way indicates a person is a skeptic, though.
    What would fanaticism be in this context? Could it be being against embryonic stem cell research? Abortion? Gay marriage? Gay adoption? Would these be fanaticism or would they be perfectly fine religious perspectives to you?

i give in the atheists can go nuts im going getting my dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

i give in the atheists can go nuts im going getting my dinner
    Does this mean the question: "Why do atheists discuss religion" has been answered to your satisfaction? I always get a sense people just love asking the question, and despite always getting the same answer, feel inclined to ask again.

your assuming im a catholic and that I am sportive of the church as an institution which I don't I am a catholic I confess but I am also a secularist
    you seem to know little about the people who make up the church

I never assumed anything. You could be the ghost of Christopher Hitchens for all I know.

I based the content of my replies on your posts in this thread, nothing more!

tldr: zealot atheists are more annoying than religious zealots.

I find this absolutely fascinating, as if there is some kind of valid comparison to be made between religious proselytising and criticism of religion.

Do people who think outspoken atheists are as bad - or worse - than the religious actually stop to think about how ridiculous it sounds?

"Oh yeah, I was listening to the priest/preacher/imam/whatever declare to his congregation of 2,000 tithing worshippers that faith is a virtue and that homosexuals are defective. He then went on to talk about how non-belief and secularism are dangerous and that contraception must not be allowed. Then that atheist made a post on the internet where questioned whether faith actually is a good thing and criticised the actions of the Catholic Church. They're just as bad as each other!"

Am I in the twilight zone or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

The majority of the country claim to be religious in some way. Atheists are a small minority whose only real representation is themselves.

The main religion is Roman Catholicism, an incredibly powerful institution whose policies (and leader, who is considered to be infallible) perpetuate the AIDS epidemic in Africa and poverty in the developing world as a whole by opposing contraception, abortion and the empowerment of women.

They believe their god considers homosexuals and non-believers to be abominations: we still don't have marriage equality.

They run the majority of our schools and what they call an 'ethos' is actually teaching children that faith (believing something without evidence) is good and that they should feel guilty for doing childlike things or - as they get older - exploring their sexuality. Oh, you're from a family of another faith or none? Well, you're second-class.

They still wield considerable power over our national policy, despite the revelation that for decades they systematically colluded with the state to cover up the rape of children in the aforementioned schools. Think about that: they still run our schools.

A bizarre fusion of religion and politics saw our island torn apart for most of the 20th century and even today, the north is still a fragile place.

Non-Catholic Christians knock on your door and stop you in the street to tell you that Jesus is lord and if you don't accept him, you can enjoy hell.

But atheists are annoying or "aggressive" - and just as bad as the religious - because they think all of the above warrants some kind of criticism and use words to express their disapproval?

What?

I wish you would have read some of my other posts. All of the above are very valid criticisms which I happen to agree with.

What I do find annoying are the armchair atheists who shout down Christians or whoever and call them stupid etc. for their beliefs. These types at the same time are probably unable / don't know or care about any of the points you have made above and are only suffering from a superiority complex.

Please note that I don't put you or Mr. Stuffins or other very well reasoned posters on this topic in this category.

Additionally, I used the term "certain brands of atheists" not all atheists as you have suggested above, please don't be putting words in my mouth. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The problem I find, is that even the religious who would say they never force/push God on others, can be susceptible to doing so in their daily words and actions.

The amount of times I hear people saying stuff like "Start praying for that now and it might come true" or if I lose something, "Pray to St Anthony" is ridiculous. Or the people that will look at you as if you just shot their cat when you tell them you don't believe in God. These are just a few tiny examples that jump to mind, there are many more.

Religion is so ingrained in Irish society is impossible to escape. I don't want to run around trying to change people's minds, even if I wish they did it by themselves, but at times I find it frustrating. There's been numerous occasions when I've had to walk away from conversations involving say my mother and her sisters, for example, because some of the things they say are not only mental, but genuinely disturbing and offensive and completely brought around by the Catholic mindset forced upon them from their youth.

I find it's like living in a world where the majority are telling you 2+2 is 7 when you know damn well its 4. It can get frustrating but I generally, if not always, just let it slide.

Advertisement