Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Rosemary isn't well!

Options
  • 18-07-2012 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Bought a rosemary plant back in the Spring. I'm growing it in a nice big pot, plenty of compost, fed regularly and growing well.

Went to cut some for the kitchen on Sunday, and found it looking a bit sick. Plant looks the same as the pics shown on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72121175, and the green leaves are a bit speckly as well.

Looked at the compost and it does feel a bit slimy (probably due to all the rain we've had!).

Does anyone think it's phosphorus deficiency as well or is it something else? I'm also thinking there might be some root rot as well, but not sure...

Is it worth re-potting in fresh compost and clean pot to see if it recovers?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I think you may be killing it with kindness. Rosemary doesn't like to be over fed and certainly hates having its roots wet. The compost should be free draining and never "slimy".
    It would ideally like a very sunny spot in well drained, poor soil. You could repot it and add some sharp grit etc to improve drainage and stop feeding completely for now. Protect it from excessive rain if you can -- remove any saucers etc to let water drain away.
    You may be able to rescue it but if not get a new one, make sure the compost is very gritty -- and then ignore it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks very much! I did know it doesn't like being too wet, so didn't have a saucer underneath. The original pot had stones at the bottom.

I'll re-pot this afternoon and see how I get on! :)

Thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lasvegas100

I hope the trees will grow well to reciprocate your love trees

Hi Guys!

I just wanted to let you know I've re-potted my rosemary. It's still in the same spot which is nice and sunny, and I've not fed it. :)

Should I add a phosphate-rich feed just in case that was the problem? And if I do, can anyone recommend a good one?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is way too much feeding of shrubs goes on. The vast majority of trees and shrubs are happy to grow in good garden soil and never be fed, except possibly once at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hi Guys!

I just wanted to let you know I've re-potted my rosemary. It's still in the same spot which is nice and sunny, and I've not fed it. :)

Should I add a phosphate-rich feed just in case that was the problem? And if I do, can anyone recommend a good one?

TIA

Step away from the watering can and the plant food :D

Unless we get a drought of Saharan dimensions all you need to do is stand back and admire.
    It'll take a while to settle in and should be fine. And for now, don't water or feed. Nada, nothing, tada, zilch. ;)

OK. The. Watering. Can. Is. Down. I repeat. Down!! :D

Thanks guys! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

And dig in some sand around it. Herbs like free-draining conditions.

Advertisement