Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the easiest way to restrict a BMW G650GS?

• 18-07-2012 10:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭

I am trying to restrict a 2011 G650GS for the least amount of money & effort and any help would be great?
    I see that it will become road legal for restricted licences and provisional licence holders in the new year as BMW cleverly set the BHP at 48 which will be the new limit but that's too far away for me as I want to use this bike on holidays in 3 weeks time! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

There's a restrictor kit for them.

Any reputable dealer (BMW and non-BMW) should be able to sort you out.

It's a throttle stop I believe for these bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Just put me on it. im 16 stone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I'll see your 16stone and I will raise you two!!!!

Stick me on I am 18 stone.........:o

Seriously, the easiest way would be a throttle stop but that can be dangerous IMHO. Better of getting the full kit for the engine, alot of them around but will be dearer then the bog standard throttle jobbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I'll see your 16stone and I will raise you two!!!!

Stick me on I am 18 stone.........:o

Seriously, the easiest way would be a throttle stop but that can be dangerous IMHO. Better of getting the full kit for the engine, alot of them around but will be dearer then the bog standard throttle jobbie.

Why is a throttle stop dangerous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Was 20 st, now 13 st :D Does it make a difference on bikes? You'd better believe it!

I had a throttle stop on my GSX1400 for two and a half years and it never gave a problem. It came off the same way it went on. The guy who fitted was being a bit of a d*ck about it and told me he had "serious concerns" about it. He just didn't like that a noob was restricting a big bike like the 14. Ignore the nay-sayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Picked up an 02 F650GS for the Mrs. She has the last part of her test to do in the next few weeks. The restrictor was removed when we bought it but 10 mins should put it on. It fits onto the side of the carb where the throttle assembly is. It just means you cant open the bike out fully. Only concern of course would be passing etc, where you might need that extra power, I think this is what Wonda is alluding to?

TheFairy wrote: »
    Picked up an 02 F650GS for the Mrs. She has the last part of her test to do in the next few weeks. The restrictor was removed when we bought it but 10 mins should put it on. It fits onto the side of the carb where the throttle assembly is. It just means you cant open the bike out fully. Only concern of course would be passing etc, where you might need that extra power, I think this is what Wonda is alluding to?

Same danger exists regardless of restriction method though...

Yeah sorry, should have been more precise in my post. Its much better to have it internal then just on the throttle its not as harsh as a pure throttle stop.

Take for example a factory restriction on my yamaha FZ6, only the top end is restricted not through the power band. Therefore I have all the power until I reach the top end.....never ever run out of power overtaking etc. Unless I am trying to over take a Hayabusa at top speed :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I always felt about the 1400, and the carb'd Blackbird I also restricted, that the low end grunt mostly stayed but as soon as you got to higher speeds, power quickly tailed off. It seemed more to do with speed than revs. I suppose that it can be more dangerous in that the grunt lulls you into taking on overtaking manoeuvres and you quickly realise that you're not pulling in half as fast as you pulled out. I made this realisation soon after getting the bike on the road and corrected my behaviour accordingly.

My mate had a factory restricted Bandit 650 and his bike behaved the same way. He was a little bold and replaced the carb tops, which was all that was required to de-restrict it and all this lovely power came back. I don't know if ECU restricted bikes are different.

Yeah sorry, should have been more precise in my post. Its much better to have it internal then just on the throttle its not as harsh as a pure throttle stop.

Take for example a factory restriction on my yamaha FZ6, only the top end is restricted not through the power band. Therefore I have all the power until I reach the top end.....never ever run out of power overtaking etc. Unless I am trying to over take a Hayabusa at top speed :D:D

What year is your fazer? I'm nearly sure the factory restriction is a throttle stop.

I don't think it makes a difference...the bike is considerably crippled regardless.

• Advertisement

My FZ6 is 2009 as is still factory restricted...and its by no means "CRIPPLED"

My FZ6 is 2009 as is still factory restricted...and its by no means "CRIPPLED"

I wasn't insulting your bike! Yeah yours is actually a throttle stop. I meant crippled relative to a full powered version. Of course it's still quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I wasn't insulting your bike! Yeah yours is actually a throttle stop. I meant crippled relative to a full powered version. Of course it's still quick.

The thing is you only really notice how castrated the bike is when you remove the restriction, so if your obeying the law you won't know that the bike should be doing much more.

My Z750 was restricted with a throttle stop and it was fine to ~90mph and then it would just die. Only time I ever noticed the lack of power was when I was trying to take a mate, on an unrestricted 600, after he'd stopped and I was still rolling. He left me for dead. Got past everything else no bother just required a little more planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

that doesnt make too much sense either tbh

Some restrictions have the revs severly dampened through each gear....my bike is normal acceleration (like an unrestricted bike) until I get to the top end then its culled.

x2 post delete.

Some restrictions have the revs severly dampened through each gear....my bike is normal acceleration (like an unrestricted bike) until I get to the top end then its culled.

That's how a throttle stop works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

bit of a misconception to whats being restricted here I think

its not rev's being restricted, its not speed
    its power

a restricted bike will still most likely rev out in all but the highest gears; eventually the wind resistance will overcome the power and the bike will stop accelerating. The rev's may stop at this point, but its due to the engine not having enough power to rev it any higher, then any sort of rpm or speed limit

another way to look at it, is if you pin the throttle in 2nd gear on both a restricted, and unrestricted bike - they will both rev out, all the way to redline, eventually stopping and reading the same speed. The only difference is, that the unrestricted one will get there a helluva lot quicker

I think theres something wrong if your bike is accelerating the same as an unrestricted one - either with whom racing, or with your restriction

Advertisement