Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enemy Players you Love

• 18-07-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

What players play/played for your teams big rival(s) and you just cant help loving them. If they played top level for your team it doesnt count.

I have a lot of time for Hamaan, Kompany, Ljungberg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I love your use of the word "enemy"

A man who takes his football seriously obviously :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Hernandez, Balotelli, Luiz off the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Thierry Henry & Cesc Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

David Silva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I love your use of the word "enemy"

A man who takes his football seriously obviously :)

It helps to take it personally when you're a full back up against some crazy wingers :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Cantona, Henry and Van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer...that goal against Bayern Munich was class :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Liverpool fan

Solskjaer, Zola, Henry. Wouldn't say I 'love' them but I dislike them the least :p. Not really any present ones that I particularly like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Mr. Cretaro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kompany.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Don't get the love for Kompany; he's a great player but is nothing you could warm too.

The only opposition player I have warmed too in any way would of been Eboue. I like Didi Hamann but that happened post his football career.

I suppose I liked Zola too. But it was hard to judge Chelsea as true rivals then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Stewart Downing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I also have a soft spot for Daniel Agger and I REALLY don't know why.

I like Micah Richards too. He has a gorgeous smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Though I don't care for rivalries whatosever I guess Manchester United are the team I have to critique.

Of the present crop, Smalling and Welbeck. 2 of the best young English players around. Also Scholes + DDG for various reasons.

Of players gone by, Bill Foulkes, Denis Irwin, Eric Cantona, Erik Nevland (Though he wasn't much of a United player). Probably more but I'm too busy to think of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Yaya. What a ****ing player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

G.K. wrote: »
    Though I don't care for rivalries whatosever I guess Manchester United are the team I have to critique.

Of the present crop, Smalling and Welbeck. 2 of the best young English players around. Also Scholes + DDG for various reasons.

Of players gone by, Bill Foulkes, Denis Irwin, Eric Cantona, Erik Nevland (Though he wasn't much of a United player). Probably more but I'm too busy to think of them.

Bill foulkes??
    Have ye seen him play? I dunno how ye could love a player if ye didn't see him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Arsenal fan so I suppose its Spurs I have to choose from.

eh,.........................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Owen Heary and Jason Byrne

I definitely didn't see Foulkes play. Or Cantona, for that matter. I like them for other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Bergkamp and Zola.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Owen Heary and Jason Byrne

Who do you support :S

Jason Byrne is one of the least likeable players out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

As a Liverpool fan i'll throw out a few names.

Developed a real love for Drogba, absolute panto villain and beast of a player. Lampard is top drawer and amazing consistancy. Essien in his prime was unreal.

Rooney and Vidic excellent players, you've got to admire them. Fletcher was a good pro, shame about his injury. Park, you've gotta love that guy.

Van Persie is a beautiful football player i also like Song, i don't watch Arsenal that much but anytime i see them he seems to do a good job.

Yaya is another beast such an all rounder.

I basically like player who are good at their job regardless of who they play for. I would put Ballotelli/Nani in a love/hate category both can do wonderful things but can be absolutely brainless at other times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arsenal fan here

emmmm I always thought Teddy Sheringham was a great player for the spuds and Utd. He scored a few against us over the years but I never disliked him for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Balotelli..the entertainment factor alone is enough for me to like him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

im a utd fan and i for one absolutely love steven gerrard. woulda love to see him play for utd, id still take him, glad he didnt go to chelsea that time cos i think they woulda been unreal wit him in the team. never mind this business of him and lampard not bein able to play together. let me tell ye jose woulda found a way!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Kevin Hunt...still..

From a Barcelona perspective, probably Higuain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Has to be Valencia.

There is literally nothing to dislike about the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I definitely didn't see Foulkes play. Or Cantona, for that matter. I like them for other things.

Jaysus, how young are you?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Kirby wrote: »
    Jaysus, how young are you?:p

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHBfCiliXyMJQRrpe6LeUZC0LuALm8RUP66ogWXjw4vzn1oeQ7UQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Benzema.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Chelsea: Zola, Lampard, Shevchenko, Crespo, Drogba, Cech
    Arsenal: Eboue, Rosicky, Bergkamp, Wilshere
    City: Richards
    Liverpool: Would have said Owen but he played for United, apart from him Alonso.

It's not like OP mentioned I can't stop loving them, just I like them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Denis Irwin, Eric Cantona

Both of whom played for Leeds so you can't pick them. :)

Can think of a few recent players like Henry and van Persie who I really like, but due to Leeds general uselessness in recent years unfortunately I can't really count Arsenal as a rival. I think I'll have to go back a lot further and pick Ray Kennedy, who played for Liverpool in the 70s. Seriously classy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Balotelli i think is an awesome talent and love the guy's antics on and off the ptich.
    Shearer was a serious striker and still sickened he never came to Utd,always though i hated him but what a player he was.

Zaph wrote: »
    Both of whom played for Leeds so you can't pick them. :)

Can think of a few recent players like Henry and van Persie who I really like, but due to Leeds general uselessness in recent years unfortunately I can't really count Arsenal as a rival. I think I'll have to go back a lot further and pick Ray Kennedy, who played for Liverpool in the 70s. Seriously classy player.

I'm doing my not 'reading the posts thing' again. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

How can anyone like Drogba? ??

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    How can anyone like Drogba? ??

Why not, great player and does so much for his country. Apart from his diving(which is too common for every player now) what's there to dislike about him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Why not, great player and does so much for his country. Apart from his diving(which is too common for every player now) what's there to dislike about him?

In his time at Chelsea he was an absolute disgrace on the pitch. I've never been so frustrated with a player (Liverpool fan) as I was in the 2nd leg of the CL semi final in 2008 or 2009. He threw himself all over the ****ing place like a little child. He's 6'4" and about 17 stone of solid muscle, stay on your ****ing feet!!!

In his time at Chelsea he was an absolute disgrace on the pitch. I've never been so frustrated with a player (Liverpool fan) as I was in the 2nd leg of the CL semi final in 2008 or 2009. He threw himself all over the ****ing place like a little child. He's 6'4" and about 17 stone of solid muscle, stay on your ****ing feet!!!

Disgrace at times and absolutely world class performances most of the times and also his off the field works. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ozzie Ardlies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Kompany, silva and yaya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Good thread idea. Cannot abide United but like a lot of the players. Wellbeck just exudes good attitude, as does Valencia and Park when he was there. Also, I'd like it to work out for Berba, and Vidic is pure class.

I hate them all equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Pedant........

6' 2" & closer to 15 stone. :p

But other then that, always loved Henry, hated when we had to play Arsenal when he was in the team coud do anything on his day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Alan Shearer, shame he ended his career with so few medals. He deserved so much more.

Bergkamp, calmness personified. What a player.

Jari Littman, short time at the 'pool but still showed a lot of class. As did Gary McCallister.

As for Drogba, hate the player but you have to admire him. He could win matches on his own and was world class.

There are plenty more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Has to be Yaya for me. A beast of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Always liked Gerrard. Beast of a plyer and a one-club man, Chelsea flirting excluded. Always hated Carragher, though. Limited clogger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

n_liverpool_fc_luis_suarez-3650406.jpg
    I love,love,love him.
    Favourite player in the whole wide world.
    Sign him up Fergie,he can be Evra's new best buddy now that Park is gone.

I always loved Roque Santa Cruz's name.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

United fan. Vincent Kompany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Feels kinda weird sayin it but in the time that chelsea have been a challenger drogba is my pick of the bunch, followed by the less controversial alex, beast of a player

• Advertisement
Advertisement