Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

powerlifting in ireland?

Options
  • 18-07-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

anyone tell me if I could be competitive?and where to go if I want to compete?I've been strength trainign for several years now and want to take it to the next level as I feel I've progressed very well/

I weigh 83kg without depleting(could drop below 80 for a comp in a week),

bench 135kg(touch chest, pause, and press), deadlift 215kg(with straps), squat 200kg. All perfect form

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

IDFPA
    IPO

Dunno what the GPC site is...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 fimblez

IDFPA
    IPO

Dunno what the GPC site is...

I've seen the idfpa records, I've already have them beaten. I cannot compete in a tested organisation anway. the records for the IPO wont show for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

15753897.jpg

15753897.jpg

just looking for the current records.. what a lame response from a mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

He's not a mod on this forum.

There is a little search engine called google.

look for IPO and GPC for non tested feds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

fimblez wrote: »
    anyone tell me if I could be competitive?and where to go if I want to compete?I've been strength trainign for several years now and want to take it to the next level as I feel I've progressed very well/

bench 135kg(touch chest, pause, and press), deadlift 215kg(with straps), squat 200kg. All perfect form

Join the GPC and compete in the open in Nov. That'll give you some idea going into next march for the nationals. Face book group is below, contact Anita through that FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gpcwpcireland/
    04/11/12 Leinster Open Powerlifting
    Universal Gym, 2A Ballyboggan Rd Business Park, Dublin 11

You'll have to loose the straps for deads. Start training mixed grip maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

GPC Bench Nationals are Saturday 25th August in Kildare.

Come check it out and even lift. I'll be there as prep for the Worlds in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

You'd probably compete at <82.5kg so unless you felt like cutting to make the <75 class which I wouldnt recommend if its your first comp

No straps allowed dude
    I've seen the idfpa records, I've already have them beaten.

You might in training, but theres a big difference between training in the gym, on your own timetable, with your own equipment in a non competitive environment. Don't get me wrong, I dont know what the records are you might smash all of them but dont be complacent... you'd be surprised what maxing out your squat will do to your bench... or what a 4 hour gap between lifts will do to your energy levels etc.
    I cannot compete in a tested organisation anway. the records for the IPO wont show for me?

I think the IPO records were posted on their facebook page some time early this year. GPC records you have to email Anita directly to get a copy.

Next full comp is in Dublin in November (GPC) The IPO have a push pull (bench/deadlift) in September in Limerick in Patrickswell Powerlifting Club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

1) training and the platform are night and day - hitting your bench after a max squat kills it, and then waiting 3-4 hours after that in a big hall will make your DL very difficult
    2) stop being so combative
    3) if you're only hitting those numbers and are juicing, no, you won't be competitive
    4) who cares anyway, it's not about being a big fish in a small pond, go medal hunting if you want, but PRs are far more important

Hanley wrote: »
    1) training and the platform are night and day - hitting your bench after a max squat kills it, and then waiting 3-4 hours after that in a big hall will make your DL very difficult
    2) stop being so combative
    3) if you're only hitting those numbers and are juicing, no, you won't be competitive
    4) who cares anyway, it's not about being a big fish in a small pond, go medal hunting if you want, but PRs are far more important

thanks for the great responses guys just joined the boards wasn't expecting much activity in the powerlifting section haha

no I'm not being complacent, I know I'm far from superman haha after seeing Shane Brodie's lifts on the facebook page there, 400kg squat at 87kg is insane(equipped but none the less), I just want to see how I stand because I've no idea how competitive the sport is in Ireland.

Also I'm not going to go into this, but I wouldnt say I juice. I have primary hypogonadism due to stupidy using prohormones in the past and so am currently on a maintenance dosage of test.

• Advertisement

thanks for the great responses guys just joined the boards wasn't expecting much activity in the powerlifting section haha

no I'm not being complacent, I know I'm far from superman haha after seeing Shane Brodie's lifts on the facebook page there, 400kg squat at 87kg is insane(equipped but none the less), I just want to see how I stand because I've no idea how competitive the sport is in Ireland.

Also I'm not going to go into this, but I wouldnt say I juice. I have primary hypogonadism due to stupidy using prohormones in the past and so am currently on a maintenance dosage of test.

looking at the links now,Gerry McNamara can squat twice what I do weighing 10 kilos less, think I'll find a new hobby lol

Brodie and Hoey are going to Mr O. That's how competitive.

looking at the links now,Gerry McNamara can squat twice what I do weighing 10 kilos less, think I'll find a new hobby lol

Gers never been beaten. I think you should compete. It gives fat blokes like me something to talk about. Good luck with whatever you do.

squod wrote: »
    Gers never been beaten.

Hasn't he bombe a few times recently?

Hanley wrote: »
    Hasn't he bombe a few times recently?

Missed a few at several times bodyweight. I've no official figures from the last two years from the GPC. But I presume he didn't bombe on his several times bodyweight openers.

Good idea to add and 'e'. Also, BBC says don't mention the oplymics...........

squod wrote: »
    Gers never been beaten. I think you should compete. It gives fat blokes like me something to talk about. Good luck with whatever you do.

well I still have no luck finding the records.... specifically the mens unequipped 82.5 and 75 kg classes

well I still have no luck finding the records.... specifically the mens unequipped 82.5 and 75 kg classes

nvm found them here

http://www.gpcpowerlifting.com/gpc%20records%20june%202011.pdf

thanks again for the responses guys

def gonna compete,they look achievable to me in the near future(mens unequipped records are 2 thirds down the page)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

What is the maintenance dose?

Like I said come check out the bench comp! The next full meet here ain't till November.

Da Za wrote: »

Like I said come check out the bench comp! The next full meet here ain't till November.

really not relevant but 200mg week. the guys who are "juicing" are jacked up on high doses of tren drol and halo, I've never and probably never will touch them

Da Za wrote: »

November sounds good though, it'll gimme some time to do some proper powerlifting training, been on more of a typical bodybuilding split for a year now

got a link for the event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

really not relevant but 200mg week. the guys who are "juicing" are jacked up on high doses of tren drol and halo, I've never and probably never will touch them

Would you not be able get clearance to compete if it's for a medical condition? I know these are pro athletes in different sports but look at Lionel Messi & eh it seems to be every fecking MMA fighter under the sun these days that are claiming they need TRT(plenty of other athletes doing this)....Then again they (not Messi) probably do need it from abusing the juice over the years! Anyway, would this not work for you? Not that it matters which feds you lift in!

Burkatron wrote: »
    Would you not be able get clearance to compete if it's for a medical condition? I know these are pro athletes in different sports but look at Lionel Messi & eh it seems to be every fecking MMA fighter under the soon these days that are claiming they need TRT these days(plenty of other athletes doing this)....Then again they (not Messi) probably do need it from abusing the juice over the years! Anyway, would this not work for you? Not that it matters which feds you lift in!

With regards IDFPA, as far as I know it's "lifetime" drug free. So anything like that would make you ineligible. Could be wrong tho.

Burkatron wrote: »
    Would you not be able get clearance to compete if it's for a medical condition? I know these are pro athletes in different sports but look at Lionel Messi & eh it seems to be every fecking MMA fighter under the soon these days that are claiming they need TRT these days(plenty of other athletes doing this)....Then again they (not Messi) probably do need it from abusing the juice over the years! Anyway, would this not work for you? Not that it matters which feds you lift in!

the truth is, I could juice as much as I ****in want and still pass the drug tests in the tested organisation, all I'd need to do is <snip>No info on getting around drug testing please</snip>, but I have morals, I hate liars and cheaters with a passion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

why did you take prohormones in the past?

Advertisement