Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hell and back

Options
  • 18-07-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

http://www.hellandback.ie/Hell-and-Back-Location.html

Thinking if giving this a shot, anyone done it before, Ive walked 10k I'm not a great runner but this looks like too much fun, I do kickboxing once a week so I might just be able yo scrape through.

If you have done it can you tell me what the course is like and what fitness level you need.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

I did it last year and loved it. The weather was brutal as well.
    Its very tough and getting decent trail runners is a big help (i only had normal running runners). its good craic doing it, but as 10kms go, yes its a beast
    up to your waist in a swamp and then a river. climbing the mountain was the toughest bit IMO
    Would strongly recommend it though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I've signed up for it, :D should be good fun, all my friends are too chicken to do it :( so im going solo,

As for the runners are the ones with spikes better or the ones like football boots ( plastic on the bottom) better?

No idea how im supposed to train for something like that but will continue kickboxing once a week and im terrible at running, can walk for miles.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Spikes might be banned you would have to check. Normal runners will be too slippy, get xc ones at least.

I did this in January. Great craic. The only tough bit for me was the trail up the mountain, cos I hadnt trained enough on that kind of gradient, the rest is very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Did it in Jan too in normal runners and didn't cause me any problems. Obviously, trail runners would be better but if you're only getting started you don't need them to complete it. (you just need to be slower and more careful)!

I saw guys in road shoes going aot on the descents which is why mentioned. Possible Yes. Fun no. :)

• Advertisement

I'll pop into elverys and see what they have, I'll try and get a few hill sprints in aswell. The more I think about it the more I'm looking forward to it. Checked out the Times and mist people finished before the 2 hour mark, so I have at least some hope in completing it :)

Getting wet and muddy can't wait, do the shoes rub once you go through water? Might want to cover my feet with plasters and wear 1001 mile socks..

Your feet will be fine as long as youre used to your shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

just signed up too

found a voucher for 10% off too :)

voucher:
    38c13c

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Paul16

Is there much waiting at any of the obstacles? Looks fairly spread out in the video's on the website except for climbing through the tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

I went in second wave and was towards the front of that going through the field at the start which spreads it out, i had very little waiting as I went round but was moving up places the whole time.

One of our lads would have been slower and in same wave, he said he had to wait at times and it was only getting worse. So try and book early and get in 1st wave or second at worse.

Its a great event and totally different from other events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Agree, a great event.
    All about pacing and if you do it right you will have great fun, pace it wrong and it'll be a trudge to get to the finish but then it is only 10km so it'll be over soon enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

I wasnt fit at all when i done it in january. Started running about a month before hand and i wasnt well the day of it either and still managed to finish in 1hr40min. Even if you crawl it you'll still have a great time!

injured my ankle in the mean time and im totally out of fitness again but sure why not, im doing it again! Bring on the rain! :D
    Oh i done it in normal runners aswell and didnt fall once, but it did take alot of work to stay vertical.;)

Was looking at the website they have made some alterations, something about electric shocks and barbed wire.

Only a couple of weeks to go....

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

cynder wrote: »
    I've signed up for it, :D should be good fun, all my friends are too chicken to do it :( so im going solo,

As for the runners are the ones with spikes better or the ones like football boots ( plastic on the bottom) better?

No idea how im supposed to train for something like that but will continue kickboxing once a week and im terrible at running, can walk for miles.

I wouldn't wear spikes or the person giving you a bunt over the wall might be a bit pissed off at you. If it's anything like it was in January you'll be covered in mud and loving it although it was feckin freezing I'll never forget the first time I hit the water Brrr...

Before I did it I emailed them t ask what the hills were like I'm not a big fan of them. There answer was there's only one hill I didn't reealise at the time that you're either goin up or down said hill it's a steep run to the top so plenty of hill training would be a good idea.

I'll sit this one out and go for it in January don't think it'll be the same without the freezing cold. You can;t feel the gorse stripping your skin when you can't feel your legs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I did this in January too, great craic! Nothing like a bout of hypothermia to spice up your weekend...

I've signed up for the next one too; they're giving away free race entries this week if anyone here is interested:

https://twitter.com/HellandBackRun/status/248361225417789441

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Charging people an extra €2 to be in the 'elite' wave is a bit of a joke!

6am start tomorrow, collect race pack at 10 and I'm in the second wave at 12...

Remind me again why I signed up...

cynder wrote: »

You'll have great craic even more if it starts raining but I reckon they douse the course in water before hand anyway.

Don't forget to keep your arse down under the barb wire :eek:

Beautiful day in bray, 1 hour to 30 min countdown...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Still waiting for results.

There was a bit of a mix up entering the swamp with the first wave. There was no marshals at a turn and a load of runners went the wrong way.

Was a great race all the same. The first 5k are disproportional more difficult than the last 5k. There was a good few runners I saw with road running shoes with duct-tape on the vents. I was wondering why they would do this? If you're trying to stop the water getting in you're also stopping it get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Just back from Hell and Back, was very good thoroughly enjoyed it. i had the duct tape around the ankles to make sure i didn't lose a runner in the water or swamp:). That climb up the hill was tough!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Looks like they need to turn up the voltage for January musn't have been much of a shock off those wires :D

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Looks like they need to turn up the voltage for January musn't have been much of a shock off those wires :D

By the time you've reached the electric shock thingy you are probably immune to the pain. I only felt a slight tingle on my arm. judging from the amount of bruises I have all over me this morning a minor shock is nothing.

seanmacc wrote: »
    By the time you've reached the electric shock thingy you are probably immune to the pain. I only felt a slight tingle on my arm. judging from the amount of bruises I have all over me this morning a minor shock is nothing.

haha you should try it in January after your first dip through the pond you can feel nothing below the waist. although as the legs warmed up you could feel where the gorse had been stripping away the skin :D

Looked like a good day was had by all lookin forward to January now :eek:

haha you should try it in January after your first dip through the pond you can feel nothing below the waist. although as the legs warmed up you could feel where the gorse had been stripping away the skin :D

Looked like a good day was had by all lookin forward to January now :eek:

I'd say its a different race in the winter alright. I wonder would they still do it if there was heavy snow up there. That would be a challenge, but I'd say the H&S freaks would put a stop to it.

The biggest issue I had with the pond was not the wet feet or the drain on the muscles but the mingon smell off it which stuck with me the entire race

seanmacc wrote: »
    I'd say its a different race in the winter alright. I wonder would they still do it if there was heavy snow up there. That would be a challenge, but I'd say the H&S freaks would put a stop to it.

The biggest issue I had with the pond was not the wet feet or the drain on the muscles but the mingon smell off it which stuck with me the entire race

haha the smells nasty alright boil wash all your kit. If there was a heavy snow it'd solve the mud problem that's for sure and sure you could slide over the pond. Might make it easier all round with the exception of hypothermia and frost bite and all those trivial things :D

Was the trail muddy headin up towards the turn to go up the side of little sugarloaf. That was a killer back in January the mud must've been 3-4 inches deep and like glue. I'll have to invest in a pair of trail runners this time around I was trying to find gorse to run on last time in an effort to stay up right.

What was the swamp like probably the warmest place to be in January although it was deep in spots and most people skirted around it quite a few folks were missing obstacles in that race.

Also what were the queues like they were pretty bad last time although I wasn't at the pointy end of things so it was all a bit of craic.

haha the smells nasty alright boil wash all your kit. If there was a heavy snow it'd solve the mud problem that's for sure and sure you could slide over the pond. Might make it easier all round with the exception of hypothermia and frost bite and all those trivial things :D

Was the trail muddy headin up towards the turn to go up the side of little sugarloaf. That was a killer back in January the mud must've been 3-4 inches deep and like glue. I'll have to invest in a pair of trail runners this time around I was trying to find gorse to run on last time in an effort to stay up right.

What was the swamp like probably the warmest place to be in January although it was deep in spots and most people skirted around it quite a few folks were missing obstacles in that race.

Also what were the queues like they were pretty bad last time although I wasn't at the pointy end of things so it was all a bit of craic.

The trail wasn't too bad. There was some large accumulations of muck here and there but nothing you couldn't jump over or step around. I was in the first wave though fairly high up the field at that point, after a few hundred more feet started treading on it I'd say it got much worse. I was running in my old Brooks road shoes and I thought I'd be squelching all the way to the finish line but I was impressed about how quickly the water evacuated from them.

As somebody who is 6ft 6 the swamp was over my waist in parts and smelled as bad as the pond. I found that those obstacles towards the end of the race that slow you down give your legs and lungs time to recover for the big push to the line.

The only bottlenecks I found was at the wall where a lot of people needed assistance up and in the swamp but there again I was in wave 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

I went in the second wave and found the queues were not to bad. There was a bit of waiting at the first set of bales but after them the crowd started to spread out. i found it very well organised and well laid out. I thought the 'up and down' sections very tough. Might invest in a pair of trail runners next time though for the winter run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement