Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debs Suit Colours

• 18-07-2012 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi there!

My first time posting here in this forum but i'm looking for a bit of advice re: my Debs suit.

My Date is wearing a White dress with a Gold band around the middle (best way she could describe it) :P

I was thinking of getting this type of suit (grey) with a waistcoat:

eKezT.jpg

XIIkg.jpg

Just looking for a bit of advice whether a White shirt and a gold skinny tie would go well with the suit I have posted a picture of?

Also for shoes, i'm assuming it would be black shoes I should be buying?

Thanks for any advice in advance! I'm somewhat out of my depth here with this whole Suit/matching dresses business! :P

Thanks, David.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Definitely go with the grey suit. That particular shade in the pictures you have there looks brilliant!
    As for the tie, I would agree with trying to go for a gold-coloured skinny tie. However, I'd advise you to look for something that's of a subdued shade of gold. Anything particularly bright or even shiny could look quite bad.

Alternatively you could get yourself a gold pocket square and just go with a grey tie. Or even a gold pocket square and a gold tie! Options are endless :P

As for shoes, one of the perks of a grey suit is that you can go with either black or brown shoes, so either would look great. If you do end up with a gold tie and/or pocket square, I'd go with brown shoes myself. Firstly because of personal preference, but brown shoes would contain more of a likeness to gold than black shoes would, if you get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Definitely go with the grey suit. That particular shade in the pictures you have there looks brilliant!
    As for the tie, I would agree with trying to go for a gold-coloured skinny tie. However, I'd advise you to look for something that's of a subdued shade of gold. Anything particularly bright or even shiny could look quite bad.

Alternatively you could get yourself a gold pocket square and just go with a grey tie. Or even a gold pocket square and a gold tie! Options are endless :P

As for shoes, one of the perks of a grey suit is that you can go with either black or brown shoes, so either would look great. If you do end up with a gold tie and/or pocket square, I'd go with brown shoes myself. Firstly because of personal preference, but brown shoes would contain more of a likeness to gold than black shoes would, if you get me.

Thank you for the advice! Definitely going for that shade of a suit! I get what you're saying about the tie also! Do you think a tie like this would be too bright?

srBx8.jpg

Personally I find that a tad on the shiny side, however if you like it go for it. It should look fine! I've had a quick look through google and some online stores and it seems that most ties which have a sort of matte finish usually have some sort of pattern on them.

Ideally you could try out a few different options and see how they look with your suit, and how you find them yourself. Or at least ask your date which shade is closer to her dress.

Then again it could all come down to what's available for you to actually buy, there might not be too many options. Don't take my opinion too seriously either, I am notoriously picky when it comes to the little details! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Thank you! I agree, it's a bit shiny looking! Perhaps something like this would be more appropriate?

http://www.amazon.com/SILK-Narrow-NeckTie-Skinny-Color/dp/B000SBKAGA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342696599&sr=8-4&keywords=gold+skinny+tie

Yeah that's a nicer one, I think. There's some good ones in the recommended items on that page, too. You've got a fair idea of what you're looking for now, just comes down to personal preference and maybe colour-coding with your date's dress, really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement