Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good source of protein when lactose intolerant

Options
  • 18-07-2012 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Don't know if there is a thread about this already, hopefully ye can help. As the title suggests. what is a good source of protein in a diet when lactose and dairy intolerant ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Whey isolate. No lactose. My protein.com or that gold standard stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Meat (grass fed preferably), Eggs, Fish (wild salmon, Tuna), Nuts (almonds), Raw dairy, whey isolate - there's other non dairy protein powders

Also you can get lactose free milk or you can make you own (half the price per litre this way) by adding Colief baby medicine or any other lactase enzymes!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Burkatron wrote: »
    Fish (wild salmon, Tuna),

Out of curiosity is there a reason why wild salmon is preferred. Is the commercially farmed stuff terrible?

I thought that because of conservation and severe restrictions on commercial fishing of wild salmon in Ireland that it's pretty difficult (expensive) to get a hold of it! That is of course if you don't catch it yourself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Meat (grass fed preferably), Eggs, Fish (wild salmon, Tuna), Nuts (almonds), Raw dairy, whey isolate - there's other non dairy protein powders

Also you can get lactose free milk or you can make you own (half the price per litre this way) by adding Colief baby medicine or any other lactase enzymes!

Serious post. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

brownej wrote: »
    Out of curiosity is there a reason why wild salmon is preferred. Is the commercially farmed stuff terrible?

I thought that because of conservation and severe restrictions on commercial fishing of wild salmon in Ireland that it's pretty difficult (expensive) to get a hold of it! That is of course if you don't catch it yourself?

I'm not gonna go looking for it but as far as I remember there were studies done into it & farmed salmon had up 10x the amount of chemicals/contaminants then wild salmon so it's a far better (pricier) option! Farmed Salmon is grand in moderation if you cant afford the expensive stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

I'm not gonna go looking for it but as far as I remember there were studies done into it & farmed salmon had up 10x the amount of chemicals/contaminants then wild salmon so it's a far better (pricier) option! Farmed Salmon is grand in moderation if you cant afford the expensive stuff!

Thanks. I suppose it is obvious when you can taste the difference between the wild and the farmed salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

thanks for the advice. I'm on the tuna,almonds and red meat, But I feel I am missing out on the Dairy as its great to be able to drink a couple of pints of milk during the day, and I'd rather not be replacing the pints of milk with pints of protein shakes. will give the lactose milk a go.

Advertisement