Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Whipping/Rod Fittings Varnish Recommendation

Options
  • 18-07-2012 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a good varnish they've used for varnishing rod ring whippings?

I need something that a) won't crack or peel when casting or after a season b) is flexible for long, whippy blanks, and c) is completely transparent.

Are there special brands stocking in fishing shops or is it a DIY shop trip?

cheers

uvox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

i used seymo quickpro on my last rod, never had a bother with it, its fairly easy to use and mix and doesnt set to fast and comes with a bottle of sealer so the whippings dont change colour after you put the epoxy on the rod.
    try Gerrys or Veals in england, costs about 15 quid you will get a whole rod and have some left over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

You could also try flexcoat available from rods n bits in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Flexcoat is regarded as the best. As far as I know it's used by all the higher end rod manufacturers. Be careful mixing though as you want to avoid getting air bubbles. Mix well or it won't set properly. Best to do it in a warm environment. When I apply the flexcoat, I rotate the wrapping in the heat from a Rayburn for about 5 minutes. This gives a very smoth finish and helps to pop any air bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Just to mention you will also have to prop up the blank and turn it for a few hours until the flexcoat cures enough not to sag. First you'll have to turn it every 5 mins for about 20 minutes and then gradually stretch it out. The thicker you apply, the more it will sag. You could apply several thin coats but that's an awful lot of mixing. It can be a lot of effort for one whipping. It's not so bad if you are redoing a whole rod or repairing a few rods at once.

The Seymo will require the same process.

There could be quicker solutions if the appearance is not too much of a concern.

There is a wealth of information od rodbuildingforum.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

A friend of mine use them and is very happy

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/selector?brand_id=9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

J. Ramone wrote: »
    Flexcoat is regarded as the best. As far as I know it's used by all the higher end rod manufacturers. Be careful mixing though as you want to avoid getting air bubbles. Mix well or it won't set properly. Best to do it in a warm environment. When I apply the flexcoat, I rotate the wrapping in the heat from a Rayburn for about 5 minutes. This gives a very smoth finish and helps to pop any air bubbles.

yes use plastic brush as any animal hair will release some bubbles in the mix. Don't use wood as a spatula either, it poreous and countains some air that will be released in your mix.

You will certainly have a bubble or two at the base of the legs of your ring. You can sort it out by gently approaching the flame of a lighter ( take it easy right ! ) it will melt the mix and disolve the bubble.

Advertisement