Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any bars in Cork hiring people without experience?

Options
  • 19-07-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place guys!

Just wondering, been looking for bar work for awhile now and unfortunately I have no experience bar glass collecting in a bar/cafe in Vancouver in 2010. Is it really that hard to find a job in Cork bars without experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

fergisimo wrote: »

Just wondering, been looking for bar work for awhile now and unfortunately I have no experience bar glass collecting in a bar/cafe in Vancouver in 2010. Is it really that hard to find a job in Cork bars without experience?

If you have a local or any friends working in bars, ask them to give you a night where you can be trained. Or just lie. Bars in Ireland, for the most part, don't require a massive amount of experience, you should pick things up pretty quick.:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    If you have a local or any friends working in bars, ask them to give you a night where you can be trained. Or just lie. Bars in Ireland, for the most part, don't require a massive amount of experience, you should pick things up pretty quick.:D

Wouldnt recommend the trying without experience.
    I used to work in nightclubs for about 7 years and the amount of chancers we got who were kicked out the door on night one was amazing.

You will likely also not be allowed in there afterwards for a few months at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Nightclubs are a bit of a faster paced environment. If they've worked in a bar environment before, I'm sure they'll be fine.

Again, I'd say just going into a bar where you know some of the staff and ask them to give you a few hours where you can learn the ropes. Some places will hire you without experience as well and train you up, means you won't have any entrenched bad habits! But it depends where/what you're looking for really. Nightclubs don't have the time to be training staff from the ground up, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭fergisimo

Yeah, I'd asked in Havana's and the staff member I spoke to was lovely, she basically said applying for a job in a night club minus relevant experience is a death wish.

I guess I'm just looking for a regular pub job (full-time, I mean) but perhaps my expectations were too high. I assumed that was regular procedure, to hire a barman and train him up in the first few days, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Worked in many bars over the years and would still be friendly with a few bar owners/managers - my advice is not to blag your experience. You will be found out within your first hour.

First thing we used to ask was for the new hire to change a keg, that is a good guide to filter out the blaggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

fergisimo wrote: »

Don't say you have experience when you don't. As mentioned, you will be found out within the first 10 minutes, let alone an hour.
    Go to a few busy pubs in the city center and tell them you have no experience and ask them if you can work for a few hours on a Saturday for free.
    Yes for free. It won't be that busy during the day and they will be able to train you up etc. Try the Old Oak and the Brog etc. Do it for one or two saturdays and you will be sorted. Try a Saturday and a Sunday or something. If you show potential they will probably throw you a few bob anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

cadaliac wrote: »
    Don't say you have experience when you don't. As mentioned, you will be found out within the first 10 minutes, let alone an hour.
    Go to a few busy pubs in the city center and tell them you have no experience and ask them if you can work for a few hours on a Saturday for free.
    Yes for free. It won't be that busy during the day and they will be able to train you up etc. Try the Old Oak and the Brog etc. Do it for one or two saturdays and you will be sorted. Try a Saturday and a Sunday or something. If you show potential they will probably throw you a few bob anyway.
    You could also target pubs that are looking for staff,tell them you are willing to get trained up without pay.At least that way you will get the training but they may even offer you the job if they don't find someone.

Advertisement