Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain This...

Options
  • 19-07-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

IMG_000F.jpg

In this image I took at approximately 23:27 - 18/07/12 you can see that the central object is unlike any other in the photo. It has another protrusion of light emanating from it in on the Y Axis in a different direction to all the other stars.

If someone could explain this it would be great because I just don't know.

PS - Shutter Speed: 30secs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Hi Daniel,

I suspect it is an artefact on the image caused by vibration as the shutter was pressed - did you use a remote cable or manually press the shutter?

The reason for this opinion is that the streak of light is on the brightest star in the image. Such a thing would happen in the initial second or two before the vibrations in the camera dampen down. No stteak is on the fainter star images -- that said, if you look at the next two brightest points, close together and to the left of the brightest object, they too seem to have a hint of a light streak in the same orientation as that being queried.

It looks like the photo is of part of the constellation Lyra, Vega being the brightest star recorded & epsilon Lyrae, the famed "double-double", the two close together next brightest stars.

If manually pressing the camera shutter using a cable release gets over the shutter vibration issues (or start the exposure with the lens cap on & remove it after a second or so).

atb,

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

On the money i think, John!

Advertisement