Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Nexus 7 from the US

Options
  • 19-07-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

So I'll be heading to the states sometime this year and I was considering picking up a tablet (I've always wanted one) while I'm there, I'm looking at the Nexus 7, but I'm wondering would there be any problems with buying one from a shop over in the states or would I be fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You'll be fine, just bring it back to Ireland without the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

grindle wrote: »
    You'll be fine, just bring it back to Ireland without the box.
    I'm assuming because of customs?

Precisely.
    Unlikely they'd check - or even care if they did check - in the US, but just in case the lads back here decided you might have something to declare...
    Both unlikely, but it'd be a pain to be caught, and it's just a box. Unless you love reselling things with boxes, it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SenboBaggins

im wondering this too, headin to boston/NY in two weeks. Google isn't showing me answers. I wonder would there be any problem with the Play market, regarding regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

im wondering this too, headin to boston/NY in two weeks. Google isn't showing me answers. I wonder would there be any problem with the Play market, regarding regions?

Play market access is dictated by your physical location rather than where the device was purchased.

If you purchase the N7 in the U.S. you will get US$25 Play store credit and some other freebies. You really need to download the freebies and use your credit whilst you are in the States. People have successfully got those here by using a US VPN and some other work arounds but it seems to be a bit involved. If you have a flick through the last 10 pages or so of the Nexus 7 thread in the the Android forum you should get all the details.

What would be the biggest concern for me about buying in the U.S. would be the quality issues many have experienced with the screen. Many it seems aren't fitted correctly and others have very bad back light bleed.

You would hope that these issues will be quickly corrected by later production batches but I've no idea if a N7 bought within the next few weeks will be sure to be free of these issues.

I've no idea if you can return a US bought N7 to somewhere in the EU for repair under guarantee, I'd suggest you check that out for yourself.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SenboBaggins

Really appreciate that Do-more. I'll do some more research into it before I go. I've heard of those unfortunate build issues, its a pity. I would've preferred a different manufacturer other than Asus. Also I may hold out for Microsoft Surface tablet, if the price is right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Really appreciate that Do-more. I'll do some more research into it before I go. I've heard of those unfortunate build issues, its a pity. I would've preferred a different manufacturer other than Asus. Also I may hold out for Microsoft Surface tablet, if the price is right.

Asus make the most reliable laptops, don't think Google could have picked a better manufacturer really and my n7 has no build issues - just like the vast vast majority of them. Do you know who is making Microsoft's surface tablet by any chance?

Mactard wrote: »
    Asus make the most reliable laptops, don't think Google could have picked a better manufacturer really and my n7 has no build issues - just like the vast vast majority of them.
    Lenovo? I'd not heard of Asus besting them until now.
    Do you know who is making Microsoft's surface tablet by any chance?
    Pegatron!
    No, not the Transformer (who doesn't exist), the iPad-back manufacturer formerly, now partly, owned by Asus (I see what you did there).

How wonderful is your Nexus 7? Thinking of making the jump in a week or two.
    Any weird compatibility issues?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

grindle wrote: »
    Asus make the most reliable laptops, don't think Google could have picked a better manufacturer really and my n7 has no build issues - just like the vast vast majority of them.
    Lenovo? I'd not heard of Asus besting them until now.
    Do you know who is making Microsoft's surface tablet by any chance?
    Pegatron!
    No, not the Transformer (who doesn't exist), the iPad-back manufacturer formerly, now partly, owned by Asus (I see what you did there).

How wonderful is your Nexus 7? Thinking of making the jump in a week or two.
    Any weird compatibility issues?

I think you got the wrong intention from my post, I wasn't being a smart arse about MS's surface manufacturer for a start, it was a genuine question as I wasn't aware of Asus' involvement - but that does bode well for the surface.

I'm still getting to know the n7 and I'm definitely not a hardcore user but its been impressive so far, especially given its price point. I'm finding the spell checker kind of awkward or just not working properly, for instance a word had a squiggly red line under it where I'd made a typo but I can't figure out how to display alternative spelling options.

I think you got the wrong intention from my post, I wasn't being a smart arse about MS's surface manufacturer for a start, it was a genuine question as I wasn't aware of Asus' involvement - but that does bode well for the surface.
    No smart-arse-ism presumed, just thought you knew.
    It bodes well for the Surface build-wise, but if it's price is gonna be near Apple's... I dunno... They have the money to do as Google did and sell at - or close to - cost, but do they have the gonads? Can they resist the urge to price themselves out of the race?
    I'm still getting to know the n7 and I'm definitely not a hardcore user but its been impressive so far, especially given its price point. I'm finding the spell checker kind of awkward or just not working properly, for instance a word had a squiggly red line under it where I'd made a typo but I can't figure out how to display alternative spelling options.
    I'd say that's kind of strange, but I had similar twitches and glitches with my HTC Mildfire, fixed with a belated Gingerbread update/root.
    Hopefully with this being their big-shot best-seller they'll pump money into whatever issues it has, because it looks great.
    And that price is vomitously good.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement