Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenagers experimenting with illegal substances.

• 19-07-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

-Disclaimer-
    This thread is for discussion purposes. I do not promote the use of illegal substances and I will never do so. Please read the thread completely before jumping to conclusions. This thread is for education and research purposes for personal use. This post is completely within charter limits as checked by myself beforehand. Thank you.

Hello there!

My name is An0n and I'm here to share my thoughts on drugs in a young person's life.

There's no denying it, every young person is at one point, going to come in contact with drugs during their secondary or college education years. It's just a matter of statistics at this point. Every parent tries to discourage their kids from 'giving in to peer pressure'; but does this psychologically derogative approach really work? Personally I don't think so.

In my own years, I've experimented with some drugs in my own time, including a mix from stimulants, depressants to hallucinogens. Some for recreational use, some for my own personal experimentation and even spiritual development. But I'm 18, have a job(luckily), a beautiful and loving girlfriend and a bright future already planned ahead of me! (I hope)

(in before someone bashes my logic based off my age)

Surely drugs can't be all that bad then?.. Well of course they're extremely bad, they wouldn't be illegal otherwise. Unless of course they can't be taxed, unlike alcohol and tobacco; which are, in fact, some of the most dangerous substances in the world that you can abuse.

My theory is, that, like alcohol; young persons should be introduced to drugs in a safe and secure environment. It sounds crazy, but imagine this: Parents want to give their teenager the experience of let's say, canabis, in the safety of their own home; in regulated dosage and with reliable sources? Oh christ no, that would be all over the news as an abusive parenting case. But yet thousands of teens, and preteens, are taking to the streets every weekend damaging their liver and lungs with alcohol and tobacco. How could the proposed idea be worse than that?

Let's look at the other side, the more realistic side. A youth wants to try canabis today. They don't have much information on source so they just start asking around their friends for a dealer. Once they find one, they're instantly recognised as a new person, and scammed. Given a wrong amount for a hefty price. But it's not just about the money. The youth will then try the drug and think it's not that bad and perhaps will want more. But dealers are rarely in distribution of a single drug, so perhaps next time they'll be offered MDMA(exstasy), if they're lucky! There's a lot more hard drugs on the streets these days and they're going for a lot cheaper than they were. They're stronger and more addictive than ever! Not to mention the chemical threatment and harmful additives added to the drugs! It's really frightening.

So the questions are;

Which circumstance would you rather expose your teen to?
    Which would be viewed as most negatively by society?
    and why? Explain your views. I could be completely wrong according to someone (:

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I planned a bright future for myself as well. Then life happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I'm a crack head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I smoked cannabis and took E more times than I care to admit.

If my parents knowingly allowed this to happen, or encouraged me to do it at home, I would have lost all respect for them.

I of course knew it was wrong, but with my parents permission may not have. I would have thought it was more acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Darragh Harte

Drugs are only drugs because they make you feel so good and the government dont want that.
    Like weed. No side effects, you get chilled out for a few hours...not a problem in the world. And it aint addicting. I as a teenager have tried it and i haven't felt a craving for it ever.
    Though some drugs do mess you up like LSD heroin cocaine etc etc. They have terrible side effects are very very addictive.
    They should legalize weed(marijuana) because it's awesome or do what Britain and Holland have...have it as a class D drug. It aint a big deal. It may kill bvrain cells but hundreds or thousands of those die every minute or hour dont they? they'll grow back or we'd all be dead after a few days of birth. No single person has ever died from a marijuana overdose in their life. But if you take 12 panadol and it's the last headache you'll ever have.
    Legalize weed or bring it to a class D drug, i say :D
    Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

Johro wrote: »
    I planned a bright future for myself as well. Then life happened.

Please, refrain from irrelevant posting trying to demoralize my philosophies.
    I want this thread to be on topic.
    I'm a crack head

Once again, no contribution to the thread at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

An0n wrote: »
    -Disclaimer-
    This thread is for discussion purposes. I do not promote the use of illegal substances and I will never do so. Please read the thread completely before jumping to conclusions. This thread is for education and research purposes for personal use. This post is completely within charter limits as checked by myself beforehand. Thank you.

Hello there!

My name is An0n and I'm here to share my thoughts on drugs in a young person's life.

There's no denying it, every young person is at one point, going to come in contact with drugs during their secondary or college education years. It's just a matter of statistics at this point. Every parent tries to discourage their kids from 'giving in to peer pressure'; but does this psychologically derogative approach really work? Personally I don't think so.

In my own years, I've experimented with some drugs in my own time, including a mix from stimulants, depressants to hallucinogens. Some for recreational use, some for my own personal experimentation and even spiritual development. But I'm 18, have a job(luckily), a beautiful and loving girlfriend and a bright future already planned ahead of me! (I hope)

(in before someone bashes my logic based off my age)

Surely drugs can't be all that bad then?.. Well of course they're extremely bad, they wouldn't be illegal otherwise. Unless of course they can't be taxed, unlike alcohol and tobacco; which are, in fact, some of the most dangerous substances in the world that you can abuse.

My theory is, that, like alcohol; young persons should be introduced to drugs in a safe and secure environment. It sounds crazy, but imagine this: Parents want to give their teenager the experience of let's say, canabis, in the safety of their own home; in regulated dosage and with reliable sources? Oh christ no, that would be all over the news as an abusive parenting case. But yet thousands of teens, and preteens, are taking to the streets every weekend damaging their liver and lungs with alcohol and tobacco. How could the proposed idea be worse than that?

Let's look at the other side, the more realistic side. A youth wants to try canabis today. They don't have much information on source so they just start asking around their friends for a dealer. Once they find one, they're instantly recognised as a new person, and scammed. Given a wrong amount for a hefty price. But it's not just about the money. The youth will then try the drug and think it's not that bad and perhaps will want more. But dealers are rarely in distribution of a single drug, so perhaps next time they'll be offered MDMA(exstasy), if they're lucky! There's a lot more hard drugs on the streets these days and they're going for a lot cheaper than they were. They're stronger and more addictive than ever! Not to mention the chemical threatment and harmful additives added to the drugs! It's really frightening.

So the questions are;

and why? Explain your views. I could be completely wrong according to someone (:

Thank you for your time.
    You're awfully polite

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Are you crazy? tell/do it around the rents? No way, that is making it in some warped way.. appropriate, its not.. but people experiment.

syndeyfife wrote: »

If my parents knowingly allowed this to happen, or encouraged me to do it at home, I would have lost all respect for them.

I of course knew it was wrong, but with my parents permission may not have. I would have thought it was more acceptable.

Interesting. But were you not in more danger sourcing these substances by yourself without any regulation on your intake?

I mean if you held respect for them not allowing you to take drugs in the first place, then why would you break that respect? Would that not defeat the purpose of it all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

So the questions are;

Thank you for your time.

I don't have children so I can only speculate on how I'd handle it.
    I'd like to think I'd be the type of parent whose children can tell anything to and would come to me for advice and information.
    I think I'd be naive to try to raise kids who wouldn't drink or touch any drugs at all. If they don't, fair play to them.
    But in reality, by their nature kids/teenagers will rebel against authority and rules. It's what they're there to do and it's healthy in some ways.

The best any of us can hope for in my opinion, is well rounded kids who are capable of making their own decisions, not based on peer pressure, and knowing where their limits are with any alcohol/drugs they do take.

Bessiebee wrote: »
    You're awfully polite

I don't know whether to take that as sarcasm or not. >.<
    CavanCrew wrote: »
    Are you crazy? tell/do it around the rents? No way, that is making it in some warped way.. appropriate, its not.. but people experiment.

But is that not the point? Experimentation should be appropriate. You don't throw yourself off a bridge to show the affects of gravity. You conduct an experiment in a safe and secure environment to observe the results yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Logain

Ask some of the lads from certain well known North-side estates if they think their parents injecting heroin in front of them when they were children and giving them cans of cider/joints was good for them. See what they say about it.

Of course you cant ask them because they are all Skangers/In prison/Dead.

Teenagers are programmed to rebel against their parents, the degree of that rebellion depends upon the individuals involved.
    If they are being offered drugs by their parents they are still gonna want to rebel. The parents are just moving the bar of whats acceptable.

Sauve wrote: »
    I don't have children so I can only speculate on how I'd handle it.
    I'd like to think I'd be the type of parent whose children can tell anything to and would come to me for advice and information.
    I think I'd be naive to try to raise kids who wouldn't drink or touch any drugs at all. If they don't, fair play to them.
    But in reality, by their nature kids/teenagers will rebel against authority and rules. It's what they're there to do and it's healthy in some ways.

The best any of us can hope for in my opinion, is well rounded kids who are capable of making their own decisions, not based on peer pressure, and knowing where their limits are with any alcohol/drugs they do take.

Thank you.
    An educated way to look at it but I don't agree with the 'rebel against authority' thing. Naturally it's fair to assume so, but it shouldn't be limited to that. If authority was understanding of their experimentation, then there would be no need to rebel. If you see what I mean.

Either way. Thank you for the post. Much appreciated (:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Your original post is confusing and badly composed and your questions don't make sense.
    'Demoralize your philosophies'?
    Why, I don't even...:confused:

But is that not the point? Experimentation should be appropriate. You don't throw yourself off a bridge to show the affects of gravity. You conduct an experiment in a safe and secure environment to observe the results yourself.

You...are a boss. I couldn't agree more with you and your logic is sound

Logain wrote: »
    Ask some of the lads from certain well known North-side estates if they think their parents injecting heroin in front of them when they were children and giving them cans of cider/joints was good for them. See what they say about it.

He's talking about teenagers experimenting in a safe and controlled environment.
    Your point is far from that!

Interesting. But were you not in more danger sourcing these substances by yourself without any regulation on your intake?

I mean if you held respect for them not allowing you to take drugs in the first place, then why would you break that respect? Would that not defeat the purpose of it all?

I've tried weed many a time. Used to smoke it regularly, the most danger I was ever in was when I smoked legal highs.

There's some things you don't tell your parents. That's one of them.

Good point. Although, I am talking about responsible parents here.
    I completely agree with the point you're trying to make; and I think it's horrible. But people who are educated early about drugs and limits will never fall into a web of heroin or a life of careless activity.

Once again, thank you for your contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Hello there!

My name is An0n

You lost me just after hello.

you just steroetyped a lot of people right there. some people that have had that done when they were young turned out to be fine. In fact i have quite a few friends whose parents have taken drugs when they were smaller and none of them are scumbags/in prison/dead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Drugs are only drugs because they make you feel so good and the government dont want that.
    Like weed. No side effects, you get chilled out for a few hours...not a problem in the world. And it aint addicting. I as a teenager have tried it and i haven't felt a craving for it ever.
    Though some drugs do mess you up like LSD heroin cocaine etc etc. They have terrible side effects are very very addictive.
    They should legalize weed(marijuana) because it's awesome or do what Britain and Holland have...have it as a class D drug. It aint a big deal. It may kill bvrain cells but hundreds or thousands of those die every minute or hour dont they? they'll grow back or we'd all be dead after a few days of birth. No single person has ever died from a marijuana overdose in their life. But if you take 12 panadol and it's the last headache you'll ever have.
    Legalize weed or bring it to a class D drug, i say :D
    Peace

LSD doesn't mess you up.

It doesn't

• Advertisement

You...are a boss. I couldn't agree more with you and your logic is sound

Thanks buddy. A1

He's talking about teenagers experimenting in a safe and controlled environment.
    Your point is far from that!

His point is extremely valid to this.

What happens when parents who smoke weed, use heroin and drink to excess decide to let their children try it in the controlled environment that is their own home??

OP is talking absolute shìte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'm 18 as well , never did hard drugs but I have been drawn to them for stupid reasons. I think it's something you should try once in a safe environment to curb the curiosity and dangers. and then leave it at that once you've had your fill and experience.

It's kind of like what my parents said about smoking, it's perfectly fine to try it to get the curiousity and thrill out of it and I did a few times and guess what, I don't smoke;) In fact I could count on both hands how many times I've smoked.

Same idea/mentality involved with drugs (albeit not so enthusiastic obviously) could have the same effect.

I think this is a right approach to it because drugs are everywhere and I see them quite a bit around me when I'm out so it's a growing peer pressure that's becoming the 'smoking problem' of the 60's for our generation. In my view at least.

LSD doesn't mess you up.

It doesn't

Im sorry i've never done it before and i dont know the after effect it has on a person.
    my bad. we'll just stick with cocaine...heroin etc. the addicting ones :P

LSD doesn't mess you up.

It doesn't

LSD can cause flashbacks and mental illness.
    There are actual cases of this; even though it's rare.

A more 'suitable' hallucinogen would be DMT, which lasts a fraction of the time of LSD and it used in your body during REM sleep, and dreaming. It's fairly interesting, but it's a class A drug.

I don't agree with the 'rebel against authority' thing. Naturally it's fair to assume so, but it shouldn't be limited to that. If authority was understanding of their experimentation, then there would be no need to rebel. If you see what I mean.

I know what you mean, yeah, but it's inbuilt into evereybody to push our boundaries, test our limits and bend the rules. Especially as adolescents, when we're trying and fighting with ourselves to form a personality.

I'm kinda dragging away from your point though, but I do get what you mean about giving kids the opportunity to experiment in safety, then they won't do it behind your back. Hopefully :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Just to comment on MDNA i don't trust a drug which is all about making someone feel 'special' without really advertising the potential pitfalls a la LSD because acid, suggests a potential hellride on the path to enlightenment but with ecstasy thats not always the case.

I recall with my sister decades ago how girls; really took it onboard as a fun way to lose weight along with the workout soundtrack it came packaged with but I never foresaw all the boys flocking to this veritable girls' gym environment!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There is a complete lack of reality and of any critical thinking in what i'm reading. And a poor understanding of human behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Its similar to underage sex. You can condone or condemn it all you want with regards to your kids. It'll still be there, mostly done on an experimental basis, and they sure as hell won't do it with parent around. I'd like to hear someone who has tried weed and is against it though, I haven't been able to find any.

• Advertisement

What happens when parents who smoke weed, use heroin and drink to excess decide to let their children try it in the controlled environment that is their own home??

I'm talking about a safe home in a secure growing up environment.

Heroin addicts should not have kids. Simple as that. That's not my fault, or your fault. That's the social services fault for not acting on such cases.

My points aren't 'absolute shìte' in a relative frame.

Once again, no contribution to the thread at all.

I find your op boring.

Good point. Although, I am talking about responsible parents here.
    I completely agree with the point you're trying to make; and I think it's horrible. But people who are educated early about drugs and limits will never fall into a web of heroin or a life of careless activity.

Once again, thank you for your contribution.

Someone very close to me, extremely well reared, upper class background, great education, extremely intelligent fell into this life. NO, its not as common but it does happen.

Who decides What parents are responsible enough? Parents who have a glass of wine every evening, parents who have a joint before bed, they lines would be far too thin for anything of this nature to ever be a concern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

No, not being sarcastic - just being nice.

Shryke wrote: »
    There is a complete lack of reality and of any critical thinking in what i'm reading. And a poor understanding of human behaviour.

Explain

I'm talking about a safe home in a secure growing up environment.

Heroin addicts should not have kids. Simple as that. That's not my fault, or your fault. That's the social services fault for not acting on such cases.

My points aren't 'absolute shìte' in a relative frame.

In fairness you're points are shîte

• Advertisement

No, he's not talking shíte.
    If you read his post properly, you'd see that he was referring to parents that dont use drugs to excess.
    He's referring to stable, level-headed non-alcoholic, non-drug addicted parents.

In fairness you're comebacks are too. He makes good points.
    Prove him wrong

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Just to comment on MDNA i don't trust a drug which is all about making someone feel 'special' without really advertising the potential pitfalls a la LSD because acid, suggests a potential hellride on the path to enlightenment but with ecstasy thats not always the case.

I recall with my sister decades ago how girls; really took it onboard as a fun way to lose weight along with the workout soundtrack it came packaged with but I never foresaw all the boys flocking to this veritable girls' gym environment!!!

MDMA is a lot safer than perhaps, nicotine or alcohol.
    It's just that the dosage required is tiny compared to the tablets, so there's a lot of fillers added.
    These fillers can be terrible for your health.
    MDMA is a stimulant, like nicotine. But it's come down is a little worse all the same.

Its similar to underage sex. You can condone or condemn it all you want with regards to your kids. It'll still be there, mostly done on an experimental basis, and they sure as hell won't do it with parent around. I'd like to hear someone who has tried weed and is against it though, I haven't been able to find any.

You my good fellow are a complete boss and just powned any comebacks.
    Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

No because then the whole goals shift, sure the whole country is overly PC now,
    in school you cant call a blackboard a blackboard anymore because its racist, make drugs an experimental process with your parents, theres no control.

Ive tried drugs couple of times, & for some reason i thought legal highs were perfectly safe as well.

I snorted sherbot once, and smoked tea leaves... that was the height of me experimenting as a kid, and i think thats as much as id tell my family.

• Advertisement

So you'd be in favour of heroin addicts having children?
    Please tell me why that'd be a good idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Logain

No, he's not talking shíte.
    If you read his post properly, you'd see that he was referring to parents that dont use drugs to excess.
    He's referring to stable, level-headed non-alcoholic, non-drug addicted parents.

There are no parents that match that profile that would give their children illegal drugs to try.

99% of drug addictions begin because of an experiment. Safe environment or not is irrelevant. Drug addiction is very personal and the environment actually fades into unreality.

I don't know the best ways to make sure your kids don't get addicted to drugs later in life, but I am sure giving them drugs is not one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My thinking on this is that right a parent knowingly lets their teenager do drugs, teenager thinks to self "ah no mam or dad don't mind if I do this" so their enthusiasm wanes fairly quickly. It's not a bad idea what the OP has suggested. Parents would know what their kids were taking and a rough estimate of how much. Cannibas is fairly harmless but all other drugs should be left as illegal substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Im sorry i've never done it before and i dont know the after effect it has on a person.
    my bad. we'll just stick with cocaine...heroin etc. the addicting ones :P

No need to apologise, haha! I haven't done LSD either although I want to. It's generally regarded as one of the least damaging drugs to the body. And of course, heroin, cocaine, meth etc are horrific.

Out of curiosity - what do all of you think of ecstasy? I've done it a couple of times yet many people view it as being an extremely hard drug and like a game of Russian roulette whether or not a pill kills you. I think that when taken responsibly (I am aware that responsible drug use may be an oxymoron), such as ensuring to stay hydrated, doing home tests on the pill to ensure that it's not laced with anything too damaging and only taking it every few months to give your serotonin levels plenty of time to replenish, its adverse effects are limited and it can be enjoyed reasonably safely, especially when compared to a drug such as alcohol.

I'm not trying to advocate the use of ecstasy as although not addictive it does have a lot of potential for abuse, I just don't think it deserves the horrific reputation it has.

Thanks all who have posted.

This thread has exploded into productive conversation and I'm intrigued at all of your ideas.
    Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Shryke wrote: »

Explain

Try saying please. Tell me what you need explained while you're at it. I'm on mobile. I'm not going to be writing any essays.

There are no parents that match that profile that would give their children illegal drugs to try.

I disagree.
    I know a few people that I'd put into that category.

Cannibis is a mind altering drug, any parent that smokes it is not fit enough to be responsible around children, simple as that.

99% of drug addictions begin because of an experiment. Safe environment or not is irrelevant. Drug addiction is very personal and the environment actually fades into unreality.

I don't know the best ways to make sure your kids don't get addicted to drugs later in life, but I am sure giving them drugs is not one of them!

ah hem. My parents allowed me to try some drugs...and if you define drugs you'll see its any substance that harms the body.
    Alcohol is a drug and my parents allow me to drink. Tobacco and nicatin are drugs and my parents allowed me to smoke.
    I know many a parent who has allowed their child test out some of these drugs.
    And im sure he didnt mean class A or B drugs. No parent would allow a child to do a line of coke or try heroin. He probably meant just minor "drugs"

KKkitty wrote: »
    My thinking on this is that right a parent knowingly lets their teenager do drugs, teenager thinks to self "ah no mam or dad don't mind if I do this" so their enthusiasm wanes fairly quickly. It's not a bad idea what the OP has suggested. Parents would know what their kids were taking and a rough estimate of how much. Cannibas is fairly harmless but all other drugs should be left as illegal substances.

No no no. I mean that when they do experience it; they're well educated in the dangers and all the information regarding the drug.

It wouldn't be just 'here you go son, try this' as I kindof picked up from your post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement