Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenagers experimenting with illegal substances.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Darragh Harte

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Cannibis is a mind altering drug, any parent that smokes it is not fit enough to be responsible around children, simple as that.

How does it alter your mind?
    So long as it isn't smoke during times such as parties and critical situations like driving or an accident then it is fine.
    The parent becomes relaxed and there is no after effect to cannibis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Cannibis is a mind altering drug, any parent that smokes it is not fit enough to be responsible around children, simple as that.

Would you be against parents having a glass of wine at night after the kids have gone to bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

No need to apologise, haha! I haven't done LSD either although I want to. It's generally regarded as one of the least damaging drugs to the body. And of course, heroin, cocaine, meth etc are horrific.

Out of curiosity - what do all of you think of ecstasy? I've done it a couple of times yet many people view it as being an extremely hard drug and like a game of Russian roulette whether or not a pill kills you. I think that when taken responsibly (I am aware that responsible drug use may be an oxymoron), such as ensuring to stay hydrated, doing home tests on the pill to ensure that it's not laced with anything too damaging and only taking it every few months to give your serotonin levels plenty of time to replenish, its adverse effects are limiting and it can be enjoyed reasonably safely, especially when compared to a drug such as alcohol.

I'm not trying to advocate the use of ecstasy as although not addictive it does have a lot of potential for abuse, I just don't think it deserves the horrific reputation it has.

With safe tablet additives and fillers, and correct hydration and environment; MDMA could 'probably' be a very productive stimulant.

But stimulants are addictive naturally, because of the heightened focus and feel good nature of the drug. Like nicotine on a greater scale.
    I think MDMA should stay illegal, but still have people educated about it. Because it is one of the most common drugs out there and extremely cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

How does it alter your mind?
    So long as it isn't smoke during times such as parties and critical situations like driving or an accident then it is fine.
    The parent becomes relaxed and there is no after effect to cannibis

So its not safe to drive but youre fine to mind children whilst smoking it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

An0n wrote: »
    LSD can cause flashbacks and mental illness.
    There are actual cases of this; even though it's rare.

A more 'suitable' hallucinogen would be DMT, which lasts a fraction of the time of LSD and it used in your body during REM sleep, and dreaming. It's fairly interesting, but it's a class A drug.
    I know, I've read about those 'flashbacks' actually, it's quite intriguing in an odd way. I wasn't trying to suggest that LSD has no adverse effects, just that it should not be grouped with heroin and cocaine.
    What a ridiculously ignorant statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Its similar to underage sex. You can condone or condemn it all you want with regards to your kids. It'll still be there, mostly done on an experimental basis, and they sure as hell won't do it with parent around. I'd like to hear someone who has tried weed and is against it though, I haven't been able to find any.
    Anseo.:)

I think weed is vile, smells awful, and is a bit too mindaltering for my liking.

Not that I'm against it per se, whatever anyone else wants to fuk themselves up with isn't my concern, I just think it's sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I stupidly took an E about 3 years ago, just the once. My mother would probably die if she knew, let alone let me take one at home under her supervision.

This is something I can see the next generation doing with their children. More and more things like this are becoming social norms so by the time they grow up taking drugs recreationally may even be tolerated like smoking is now.

Alcohol + Nicotine are mind altering drugs? Alcohol on a drastic scale causes much more harm than illegal drugs. Most domestic abuse cases are a result of alcohol. Some british doctors have compared alcohol's potential damage to that of heroin.

So its not safe to drive but youre fine to mind children whilst smoking it??

Yes i would say so. You become more relaxed and children can sense the moods of adults. if you're angry they're scared. if you're happy they are. And cannibis makes you calm and relaxed and happy. Your mind is still fairly alert so if anything happens you can react. My uncle is a major pot head and he used to mind me as a child. We had great craic together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm in favour of most drugs being legalised, or at least decriminalised. If there was a proper system of monitoring them, and ensuring they were chemically safe and used by adults in a proper environment. Also with supply streams monitored, possibly even an accreditation course for people who sell them in proper drugs-use approved premises. For softer drugs like ecstasy, mushrooms, weed, etc, I wouldn't have a problem with someone who did a few years in college learning how to manage drug-customers selling them. For heavier stuff like cocaine, crystal meth, crack and heroin then I'd allow specially trained doctors to prescribe them to addicts, presuming there was a proper monitoring system that helped people get off them when they wanted to.

I wouldn't let kids of any age try them, maybe not even until people are 21 (people's brains develop right into their 20's but 21 is a good cut off age for most development.) There'd be harsh penalties for anyone selling them illegally, whether this was using their personal legally-bought drugs as product to push to addicts on the street, or even worse if it was illegal supplies. There would have to be a proper education system. I in no way deny that drugs can be dangerous, even something as soft as weed. However my problem is at the moment it's being completely ignored. Instead of saying, "You're going to get addicted and will die on the streets sucking cock for drug money" they need to say, "You might become addicted, you might suffer mental trauma, you might use them as for pain-relief rather than for pleasure, etc. and here are the signs to look out for to see if it's happening to you, here's what you need to do and here's who to seek help from." All the while demystifying and de-stigmatising drug use, letting people know that it is an adult activity that is fine for most people when approached in the correct manner, but that it could cause problems for pretty much anyone and there's no way of knowing who.

Also, I'd provide weed to cancer, ME, chronic-pain suffering patients on the medical card and the drug payments scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

KKkitty wrote: »
    My thinking on this is that right a parent knowingly lets their teenager do drugs, teenager thinks to self "ah no mam or dad don't mind if I do this" so their enthusiasm wanes fairly quickly. It's not a bad idea what the OP has suggested. Parents would know what their kids were taking and a rough estimate of how much. Cannibas is fairly harmless but all other drugs should be left as illegal substances.

No no no. I mean that when they do experience it; they're well educated in the dangers and all the information regarding the drug.

It wouldn't be just 'here you go son, try this' as I kindof picked up from your post.
    Meant it in the way that teenager is open about experimentation to their parents and parents regulate usage. Cannabis isn't highly addictive. I smoked various forms of it for a few years and could give up no problem. The same couldn't be said for alcohol and cigarettes though.

Where To wrote: »
    Anseo.:)

I think weed is vile, smells awful, and is a bit too mindaltering for my liking.

Not that I'm against it per se, whatever anyone else wants to fuk themselves up with isn't my concern, I just think it's sh1t.

weed does not fuk you up in the slightest. It is not addicting and it has no after effects.And weed smells lovely. SOme people are born to be smokers(like the smell of smoke, petrol) so some people have that they like the smell of it.
    I love the smell of weed and smoke and petrol and im completely normal and i know many kids who like those smells too.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I stupidly took an E about 3 years ago, just the once. My mother would probably die if she knew, let alone let me take one at home under her supervision.

This is something I can see the next generation doing with their children. More and more things like this are becoming social norms so by the time they grow up taking drugs recreationally may even be tolerated like smoking is now.

Interesting point. It seems to be something that is frequenting but that just means there's more trust. I wouldn't break the trust I have with my father for the world.

I doubt it would reach that extreme as you mentioned though. Unless it's minor stimulants or canabis or any low impact amphetamines.
    Nothing major though.

With safe tablet additives and fillers, and correct hydration and environment; MDMA could 'probably' be a very productive stimulant.

But stimulants are addictive naturally, because of the heightened focus and feel good nature of the drug. Like nicotine on a greater scale.
    I think MDMA should stay illegal, but still have people educated about it. Because it is one of the most common drugs out there and extremely cheap.

I'm glad to see that not everybody has the "people who have tried ecstasy are scumbag junkies who will become addicted and destroy their lives" mind frame. MDMA isn't actually a stimulant however, it's an empathogen. Although it is an amphetamine, it does not help with cognitive performance.
    I agree - it should remain illegal, but the penalties should be made a bit more relaxed for possession for personal use and people should be educated on how to take it responsibly rather than "don't take it because you'll die", because if people want to try it, they will. Not many people however know how to get testing kits to test their pills (or how simple it is to do), the importance of staying hydrated and not mixing the drug with alcohol, etc.

Interesting point. It seems to be something that is frequenting but that just means there's more trust. I wouldn't break the trust I have with my father for the world.

I doubt it would reach that extreme as you mentioned though. Unless it's minor stimulants or canabis or any low impact amphetamines.
    Nothing major though.

Thank you! thats what people dont get. You mean MINOR drugs.
    hear that all haters???? He means MINOR DRUGS. Not bloody Heroin or ****e like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Logain

weed does not fuk you up in the slightest. It is not addicting and it has no after effects.And weed smells lovely. SOme people are born to be smokers(like the smell of smoke, petrol) so some people have that they like the smell of it.
    I love the smell of weed and smoke and petrol and im completely normal and i know many kids who like those smells too.

I see from your posts that you are 18. Come back when your 30 and say the same.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I'm in favour of most drugs being legalised, or at least decriminalised. If there was a proper system of monitoring them, and ensuring they were chemically safe and used by adults in a proper environment. Also with supply streams monitored, possibly even an accreditation course for people who sell them in proper drugs-use approved premises. For softer drugs like ecstasy, mushrooms, weed, etc, I wouldn't have a problem with someone who did a few years in college learning how to manage drug-customers selling them. For heavier stuff like cocaine, crystal meth, crack and heroin then I'd allow specially trained doctors to prescribe them to addicts, presuming there was a proper monitoring system that helped people get off them when they wanted to.

I wouldn't let kids of any age try them, maybe not even until people are 21 (people's brains develop right into their 20's but 21 is a good cut off age for most development.) There'd be harsh penalties for anyone selling them illegally, whether this was using their personal legally-bought drugs as product to push to addicts on the street, or even worse if it was illegal supplies. There would have to be a proper education system. I in no way deny that drugs can be dangerous, even something as soft as weed. However my problem is at the moment it's being completely ignored. Instead of saying, "You're going to get addicted and will die on the streets sucking cock for drug money" they need to say, "You might become addicted, you might suffer mental trauma, you might use them as for pain-relief rather than for pleasure, etc. and here are the signs to look out for to see if it's happening to you, here's what you need to do and here's who to seek help from." All the while demystifying and de-stigmatising drug use, letting people know that it is an adult activity that is fine for most people when approached in the correct manner, but that it could cause problems for pretty much anyone and there's no way of knowing who.

Also, I'd provide weed to cancer, ME, chronic-pain suffering patients on the medical card and the drug payments scheme.

That system would be exceptional compared to the current one.
    Very productive post. Thank you very much.

weed does not fuk you up in the slightest. It is not addicting and it has no after effects.

It can and has, triggered major mental health issues in a heck of a lot of people.
    It has its upsides, sure, but to say that it has no after affects and doesn't fuck you up is a daft notion.

weed does not fuk you up in the slightest.
    Why smoke it then?

I'm glad to see that not everybody has the "people who have tried ecstasy are scumbag junkies who will become addicted and destroy their lives" mind frame. MDMA isn't actually a stimulant however, it's an empathogen. Although it is an amphetamine, it does not help with cognitive performance.
    I agree - it should remain illegal, but the penalties should be made a bit more relaxed for possession for personal use and people should be educated on how to take it responsibly rather than "don't take it because you'll die", because if people want to try it, they will. Not many people however know how to get testing kits to test their pills (or how simple it is to do), the importance of staying hydrated and not mixing the drug with alcohol, etc.

See! I'm even learning more right now :P
    That's exactly the information that needs to be given to young people. The dos and don'ts of drug use per se.
    I'm glad you've grasped this thread and summarised it in an example.
    A1 (:

• Advertisement

Sauve wrote: »
    It can and has, triggered major mental health issues in a heck of a lot of people.
    It has its upsides, sure, but to say that it has no after affects and doesn't fuck you up is a daft notion.

Hmm thats weird because ive done weed for a yearish now and i aint messed up.
    My uncle who has been smoking it for probably the last decade(smokes it regularly) hasn't had any mental issues. Another one of my friends who does it regularly is in Trinity studying chemistry which is a fuk hard course. could someone achieve that with a mental health issue?
    Im sorry but i've seen no evidence in my life and i know tonnes of weed smokers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Jesus Christ.

Sauve wrote: »

Site your sources of these 'heck of a lot of people'.

I come from a family where schizophrenia was common.
    Therefor, before ever lighting up. I researched these cases of 'triggering' in canabis smokers. It's all theorised. There's only very very few cases where canabis has 'triggered' schizophrenia or other illnesses and they cannot extablish that it was infact the canabis that caused it.

Although, not much medical research has gone into that link at all.

Why smoke it then?

Weed doesn't fuk you up. It chills you out and makes everything feel better.
    That doesnt mean it fuks you up. Ive never once came to any injury while smoking weed. Im normal as so clearly it doesnt fuk you up.
    or if you imply that it has some effects well everything has an effect and get your definitions right. "Fuk up" is a strong word. Heroin. Now that fuks you up. Weed does not

Shryke wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

You're late, they stopped calling me that 2000 years ago. D:

Hmm thats weird because ive done weed for a yearish now and i aint messed up.
    My uncle who has been smoking it for probably the last decade(smokes it regularly) hasn't had any mental issues. Another one of my friends who does it regularly is in Trinity studying chemistry which is a fuk hard course. could someone achieve that with a mental health issue?
    Im sorry but i've seen no evidence in my life and i know tonnes of weed smokers

We'll have to agree to disagree then.
    As you age you will see a lot more of it.
    I know tonnes of people who smoke weed heavily and don't have issues, but I also know a handful of people who have had the problems I outlined before. It's a gamble.

I know a few shut ins that smoke weed constantly, in their 40's. They literally are afraid to go outside. I also grew up with a few guys who got big into weed.

Some of them can't even string a proper sentence together these days.Some of them are doing alright, but they are still a bit strange in the head department.

One thing I notice about them all is that they get very pissy and moany when they don't have any weed.

Logain wrote: »

How insolent of you to insult somebody's judgement by their age?

I'm a relatively regular smoker, I'd smoke cannabis maybe 3 times a month and I really enjoy it, however I won't deny that it can 'fúck you up' - to an extent. The fact is though, so can alcohol and so can cigarettes. Alcohol is an addictive substance that can cause liver failure, brain damage and numerous other mental and physical illnesses, and alcoholics tend to take their anger out on others (people getting drunk and beating their children etc), but alcohol has no medicinal benefits. Cigarettes are highly addictive and incredibly damaging to the body, killing millions upon millions of people each year. Again, they have no medicinal benefits.
    Cannabis has been linked to schizophrenia but it hasn't been found to cause schizophrenia, it awakens it as such in people who are already predisposed to it. It hasn't been found to cause any physical illnesses (although smoking it can cause lung cancer but that's because it's being smoked, not because of the cannabis), it's not physically addictive like the other two are and it has countless medical benefits.

While I will not sit here and claim that weed is incredible and it has no negative effects whatsoever, I won't let people claim that it is significantly detrimental for your health when legal, socially accepted drugs are far, far worse.

Site your sources of these 'heck of a lot of people'.

Personal experience. As in, people I know.

Also - articles such as this:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0508/breaking32.html

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ.

Given up trying to bitch about minor drugs yet? :)
    There is too much personal experience against you. Whereas most of your speculations and merely speculations and nothing more. there is very very little evidence against the use of drugs such as cannibis. I cannot speak for drugs other than alcohol, nicitin, weed and hash. And they have not damaged me in any way other than the smoking of cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ricky92

Weed is not good for you it makes you really paranoid from long term use and its not a class D drug its a class B.Get your facts right darragh http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/cannabis.html.

Weed doesn't fuk you up. It chills you out and makes everything feel better.
    See that bolded word?

I know a few shut ins that smoke weed constantly, in their 40's. They literally are afraid to go outside. I also grew up with a few guys who got big into weed.

Some of them can't even string a proper sentence together these days.Some of them are doing alright, but they are still a bit strange in the head department.

One thing I notice about them all is that they get very pissy and moany when they don't have any weed.

You must have chosen a very select sample for your source of this information.
    I know somebody that smoked from the age of 16 up to the age of 38. He quit but didn't fail to be sucessful in his life and is perfectly normal now.

How insolent of you to insult somebody's judgement by their age?

Insolent?? Seriously??

I don't recall insulting anyone. I merely suggested that his opinion will be fleshed out a lot with the passing of time.

You must have chosen a very select sample for your source of this information.
    I know somebody that smoked from the age of 16 up to the age of 38. He quit but didn't fail to be sucessful in his life and is perfectly normal now.
    I know somebody who smokes 80 fags a day and they will be 93 this year.
    So what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Which circumstance would you rather expose your teen to?

Parents should allow them to experiment, partake if they want, the same as they allow them to get fucked up on alcohol.
    Drugs are an experience, and not usually a bad one either.
    Which would be viewed as most negatively by society?
    and why?
    Society as we know it is centred around a system whereby the lowest common denominator wins, so generally, the most stupid, least ideal option has to win, and most parents would baulk at the idea of taking drugs with their kids.
    A friend has parents who don't mind drug-taking around them, the lucky fliphead.
    Had a great night with them while I was twisted on wine and truffles the month before some reactionary pleb outlawed them.
    Good times.

Ricky92 wrote: »
    Weed is not good for you it makes you really paranoid from long term use and its not a class D drug its a class B.Get your facts right darragh http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/cannabis.html.

Im sorry then there is a proposal that it is to be switched to a class D.
    http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2010/sep/20/more_marijuana_law_reform_talk_b
    Read that

See that bolded word?

Wow are you seriously saying anything that makes you feel better fuks you up?
    SO sex fuks you up.
    Food fuks you up.
    Relieving yourself in the toilet fuks you up/.
    Your point is invalid. gtfo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Weed is awful and it stinks.

Me, I go horse riding once or twice a month.
    As a teenager I was encouraged to do it by my parents
    It's a healthy activity, being out in the fresh air and all.

signed
    Christopher Reeve

I know somebody who smokes 80 fags a day and they will be 93 this year.
    So what?

Exactly the point I'm making. His sample was very select. I used a select sample in return. You clearly didn't notice that, and in turn used my idea against myself in a continued chain of unproductivity. D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If young people are going to do drugs then you'd hope they'd be sensible about it. Millions and millions of young people have experimented with recreational drugs and went on to lead perfectly normal lives.

If people want to experiment with drugs then they should be allowed to. Making criminals out of them is immoral.

I'm a relatively regular smoker, I'd smoke cannabis maybe 3 times a month and I really enjoy it, however I won't deny that it can 'fúck you up' - to an extent. The fact is though, so can alcohol and so can cigarettes. Alcohol is an addictive substance that can cause liver failure, brain damage and numerous other mental and physical illnesses, and alcoholics tend to take their anger out on others (people getting drunk and beating their children etc), but alcohol has no medicinal benefits. Cigarettes are highly addictive and incredibly damaging to the body, killing millions upon millions of people each year. Again, they have no medicinal benefits.
    Cannabis has been linked to schizophrenia but it hasn't been found to cause schizophrenia, it awakens it as such in people who are already predisposed to it. It hasn't been found to cause any physical illnesses (although smoking it can cause lung cancer but that's because it's being smoked, not because of the cannabis), it's not physically addictive like the other two are and it has countless medical benefits.

While I will not sit here and claim that weed is incredible and it has no negative effects whatsoever, I won't let people claim that it is significantly detrimental for your health when legal, socially accepted drugs are far, far worse.

That is not relatively regular!

I smoked weed constantly for 3 years solid about a 1/4 ounce a day. That's regular.

Then something amazing happened, I copped on.:cool:

Comparing alcohol to weed does nothing to diminish or increase weeds positive or negative effects. It should be taken on it's own merit.

Why does the online weed defense league always assume that non weed smokers love alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Such absolute children in this thread.

Wow are you seriously saying anything that makes you feel better fuks you up?
    SO sex fuks you up.
    Food fuks you up.
    Relieving yourself in the toilet fuks you up/.
    Your point is invalid. gtfo

Darragh you missed his point entirely. He meant that just because such substances make you feel better doesn't make anything actually better in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Ricky92

mikom wrote: »
    Weed is awful and it stinks.

Me, I go horse riding once or twice a month.
    As a teenager I was encouraged to do it by my parents
    It's a healthy activity, being out in the fresh air and all.

signed
    Christopher Reeve

Your a MAD MAN!!!! horse riding. Dont you know of the risks?????? You could fall and hurt yourself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npeUYNv8gto

I smoked weed constantly for 3 years solid about a 1/4 ounce a day. That's regular.

Comparing alcohol to weed does nothing to diminish or increase weeds positive or negative effects. It should be taken on it's own merit.

Why does the online weed defense league always assume that non weed smokers love alcohol?

He was merely refering to another drug -.-
    And btw. 1/4 an ounce of weed is 75 euro street value in Ireland.
    you spent 75 euro a day on weed for 3 years straight? yyyyeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh

Such absolute children in this thread.

So? It's not their fault that they're young.
    We were all young and naive once, and everybody is entitled to their say.

See! I'm even learning more right now :P
    That's exactly the information that needs to be given to young people. The dos and don'ts of drug use per se.
    I'm glad you've grasped this thread and summarised it in an example.
    A1 (:
    I'm glad my posting has been productive then!

Oh well that's even better for me. As I said, I love weed but I don't feel the need to smoke it more often than once a week or so.

No one is trying to claim that everyone who doesn't smoke weed like to drink 6 cans and smoke 20 benson every evening, just pointing out that these drugs are more damaging to the body and more detrimental to society than weed, yet they remain legal and socially accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

God I hate the weed defense league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement