Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenagers experimenting with illegal substances.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

Logain wrote: »
    That is not relatively regular!

I smoked weed constantly for 3 years solid about a 1/4 ounce a day. That's regular.

Then something amazing happened, I copped on.:cool:

Comparing alcohol to weed does nothing to diminish or increase weeds positive or negative effects. It should be taken on it's own merit.

Why does the online weed defense league always assume that non weed smokers love alcohol?

You don't understand the meaning of the word 'relatively' then.
    I doubt you dropped about €2200 on canabis a month? Calculating for your details. Anyone who spent that much on weed needed to cop on.

Noone assumed non weed smokers loved alcohol. But alcohol is used very frequently in this country and it's negative effects are outstanding. It's a very valid drug to compare to the likes of canabis. You lack a clear ability to critically think, which leads you to be ignorant to the way people reflect judgement. You've twisted arguments to fit your own clause and that's not helpful to anybody.

I'm not trying to insult or bash you. I'm just saying; your argument may have some validity to it if you employed an appropriate way to instill such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Logain

He was merely refering to another drug -.-
    And btw. 1/4 an ounce of weed is 75 euro street value in Ireland.
    you spent 75 euro a day on weed for 3 years straight? yyyyeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh

We didn't have euros back then. We had hydroponics.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Darragh Harte

Sauve wrote: »
    Darragh you missed his point entirely. He meant that just because such substances make you feel better doesn't make anything actually better in reality.

How does that at all translate to fuk up???
    I seriously do not see how it possibly does.
    I agree it does not solve the problem but the only way any problem is ever solved is by bloody solving it. Weed is taken to enjoy not to solve problem.
    People to take it to solve problems will keep going back to it if they get problems. That's called addiction...yyyeeessss.
    It doesnt fuk you up if you take it to chill like i do. i dont take it to solve my problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So? It's not their fault that they're young.
    We were all young and naive once, and everybody is entitled to their say.

Not to mention that some young people have had life experiences and developed a level of maturity way beyond their years.

Shryke wrote: »
    Such absolute children in this thread.

That would denote than children are more productive and therefor, more intellectually abled than you are. Seeing as you haven't made a productive post since the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Dont think there is much parents can do about it, learn as they are used i think...

"back then" technology wasn't very advanced.
    im sure hydroculture would have been quite expensive though it could possibly have been the celtic tiger.
    If i could dosh out money for 1/4 ounce a day, wether on hydroculture or buying it off the street i'd have to be well off even in celtic tiger times

An0n wrote: »
    That would denote than children are more productive and therefor, more intellectually abled than you are. Seeing as you haven't made a productive post since the start.

Win :D:D:D:D

God I hate the weed defense league.

Hating plants is an unusual affliction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Such absolute children in this thread.

So? It's not their fault that they're young.
    We were all young and naive once, and everybody is entitled to their say.

And i'm entitled to despair a bit if I want Sauve. They're old enough to be told that they're being a bit foolish.
    I'm not against drugs. They have poor notions and they're only hearing what they want.

• Advertisement

You don't understand the meaning of the word 'relatively' then.
    I doubt you dropped about €2200 on canabis a month? Calculating for your details. Anyone who spent that much on weed needed to cop on.

Noone assumed non weed smokers loved alcohol. But alcohol is used very frequently in this country and it's negative effects are outstanding. It's a very valid drug to compare to the likes of canabis. You lack a clear ability to critically think, which leads you to be ignorant to the way people reflect judgement. You've twisted arguments to fit your own clause and that's not helpful to anybody.

I'm not trying to insult or bash you. I'm just saying; your argument may have some validity to it if you employed an appropriate way to instill such a thing.

My professional qualifications would prove otherwise.
    I never said I dropped any large amounts money on cannabis.

First of all it was hash, and second of all it was dirt cheap and thirdly I was basically in a constant party getting handed weed from people who grew it themselves.

It was a over a decade ago so sorry if I am a little blurry on the details. I smoked roughly 7 - 10 joints a day. I didn't pay for most of it and it wasn't in Ireland.

Why does it seem like the people with more life experience and years behind them are also the most arrogant, immature and disrespectful of this conversation?

I understand you have your say, but please do so in an appropriate manner. Bashing people's age and almost mocking is very off topic and downright childish behaviour. Age doesn't give you any more intellectual authority than youth, it doesn't make you automatically correct either.

I'm no person to judge, but seriously. This is like watching a junior infants classroom.
    Now can we please get back on topic without all this bickering? Thank you.

And i'm entitled to despair a bit if I want Sauve. They're old enough to be told that they're being a bit foolish.
    I'm not against drugs. They have poor notions and they're only hearing what they want.

And people against drugs dont only hear what they want?
    And it is not only children that do that. many many adults do too.
    Anon made some very good points.
    Minor drugs can be tried if the child wants to. But in a controlled environment.
    And they should be first educated on those drugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I didn't say that it does.
    I agree it does not solve the problem but the only way any problem is ever solved is by bloody solving it. Weed is taken to enjoy not to solve problem.
    People to take it to solve problems will keep going back to it if they get problems. That's called addiction...yyyeeessss.
    It doesnt fuk you up if you take it to chill like i do. i dont take it to solve my problems

It's great that you can use it to chill out and no more. You are also lucky to be in the majority of people who have had no ill mental effects of using cannabis. Fantastic, by all means, if it suits you and does what you want it to, then I'm all in favour of it.
    My point however, is that it can mess with peoples' heads. It can trigger mental health episodes. I'm not saying this will or has happened to you or people you know, just that it can and does happen to people. It's just an associated risk, like there is with all other drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

They're old enough to be told that they're being a bit foolish.
    Do it by saying how they're being foolish then, not just going "Oh me, oh my, young people, eh? Whatever next? Younger people?"

Why does it seem like the people with more life experience and years behind them are also the most arrogant, immature and disrespectful of this conversation?

I understand you have your say, but please do so in an appropriate manner. Bashing people's age and almost mocking is very off topic and downright childish behaviour. Age doesn't give you any more intellectual authority than youth, it doesn't make you automatically correct either.

I'm no person to judge, but seriously. This is like watching a junior infants classroom.
    Now can we please get back on topic without all this bickering? Thank you.

Yes it does.

First of all it was hash, and second of all it was dirt cheap and thirdly I was basically in a constant party getting handed weed from people who grew it themselves.

This isn't a competition of qualifications. I'm sorry to burst your bubble. This is a productive thread about a sensitive topic. No need to get the high horses out buddy.

Still, smoking 1/4 ounce of hash a day is rediculous. It would be easier to imagine as weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Darragh you missed his point entirely. He meant that just because such substances make you feel better doesn't make anything actually better in reality.

So you take it to avoid reality? To take your mind off things? To forget? To not care?

I don't care what you take but don't try telling us that it doesn't affect your mind.
    Experience tells us different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Right, in my own lifetime Ive seen weed fcuk up 2 families first hand.

The first, when a relatively young couple got stoned on a regular bases. Their daughter was 6 months old. Of course with the two of them being stoned they couldnt look after her properly. The child was taken into foster care months later, she had broken bones which had actually healed themselves, bruising all over her body from them not realising how rough they were being, the child was rarely fed, was soiled with days worth of faeces when she was found, and her fingernails had literally been pulled off from her hands. When her parents were asked how this had happened, the father said he didnt realise what he was doing until the drugs wore off. father couldnt be tried in court because he had the mental age of an 8 year old.

Second story was an upper class guy, well educated etc. Started smoking weed with his friends and it completely ruined his life. Got a girlfriend, went out for 4 years. He was fine while he was smoking weed, but once he ran out he became aggressive and violent. Regularly beating her up and threatening to burn her parents house down if she left him/told anyone. Went to rehab for 6 weeks, then again for 3 months, during that time he realised what the drug had done to him and how messed up his life had become, he had absolutely nothing. Of course as soon as he left his second stint in rehab he was back on the drug the same day.

So yes, weed may not be as dangerous as alcohol or other substances, but IN MY OPINION, which Ive based on my own experiences/dealings with the drug and people on it, weed should never ever be legal.

I have a lot more experiences, as a foster child Ive seen/heard some horrible stories, many of them down to nothing other than weed being rampant in their lives. Yes in many cases it was accompanied by other drugs, but many a time it was just weed, plain and simple.

• Advertisement

This isn't a competition of qualifications. I'm sorry to burst your bubble. This is a productive thread about a sensitive topic. No need to get the high horses out buddy.

Still, smoking 1/4 ounce of hash a day is rediculous. It would be easier to imagine as weed.

Eh you said I lacked the ability to think critically. I was demonstrating why that was incorrect.

You can't just insult somebody and then not expect them to respond.
    By the way I am not your 'buddy'.

Where To wrote: »
    So you take it to avoid reality? To take your mind off things? To forget? To not care?

I don't care what you take but don't try telling us that it doesn't affect your mind.

If you bother looking at my previous posts of my experience with others who are years older than me you'll see i've not seen any effect on them either.
    Experience tells me it has no effect on me or those who i've seen who smoke it(and many many of my friends do, not all teenagers or young adults)
    I take it to chill. to relax a little. not take my mind off anything. To enjoy things more. Jokes become funnier, food tastes better and sex is waaay better. Not to forget about anything. I remember everything when im drunk or stoned so it does not have that effect on me and i dont take it for any of your reasons

grindle wrote: »
    Do it by saying how they're being foolish then, not just going "Oh me, oh my, young people, eh? Whatever next? Younger people?"

Thank you. Enbodied the arrogance of the 'old and wise' posters perfectly.

Yes it does.

Once again, arrogance and insolence.
    Let me get this straight, you've ingested about 275 ounces of hash, according to your details. Which in itself is foolish.

But your profession and age put you ahead of everyone naturally in this thread? Extremely rude. Were you raised in a family that explained mannerisms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Why does it seem like the people with more life experience and years behind them are also the most arrogant, immature and disrespectful of this conversation? ... I'm no person to judge...

Yes, you are, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

It was a over a decade ago so sorry if I am a little blurry on the details. I smoked roughly 7 - 10 joints a day. I didn't pay for most of it and it wasn't in Ireland.

1/4 of an ounce of hash is a lot more than 7-10 joints. You'd get that out of a gram. So you're trying to say that over the space of three years you smoked approx 1.1kg of hash and you didn't pay for most of it?

Sorry, but I'm calling bullshít on this.

Edit: Also, that 1.1kg is just going by what is realistic for 7-10 joints per day. Going by what you said, you got almost 8kg of hash for free. 8kg of hash has a street value of approx. €800,000 today, nobody is just going to give that to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I smoked weed constantly for 3 years solid about a 1/4 ounce a day. That's regular.

Then something amazing happened, I copped on.:cool:

Comparing alcohol to weed does nothing to diminish or increase weeds positive or negative effects. It should be taken on it's own merit.

Why does the online weed defense league always assume that non weed smokers love alcohol?

So it was weed, then it was hash.
    Which was it?
    Was it a 1/4 ounce of weed or hash a day.

Hydroponic hash......... hmmm

I smell something........ and it ain't the smell of burning green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Eh you said I lacked the ability to think critically. I was demonstrating why that was incorrect.

By the way this is incredibly childish, I think 18 year olds should have more intellectual authority over you.

Brokentime wrote: »
    Yes, you are, it seems.

You forgot the rest of the sentence.

Good job trying to make me look bad though.
    Cheers for attempts.

you think critically but for the wrong reasons and without evidence to prove it. If you smoked 1/4 of hash a day(about 30 or 40 joints btw(not arsed calculatig it but it aint 7 or 8)) then you're messed up or lying.
    And buddy is a term to try calm people down and be friendly. dont be so agressive and offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

Oh to be 18 and think I knew everything again.

Thank you. Enbodied the arrogance of the 'old and wise' posters perfectly.

Once again, arrogance and insolence.
    Let me get this straight, you've ingested about 275 ounces of hash, according to your details. Which in itself is foolish.

But your profession and age put you ahead of everyone naturally in this thread? Extremely rude. Were you raised in a family that explained mannerisms?

It is clear that your average 28 year old has a bit more of a clue about the world than the 18 year old, but of course the 18 year old believes he has it all worked out.

I never said my profession put me ahead of anyone. Getting a bit paranoid there huh?

Don't insult my family.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Which was it?

You my man are a very smart fellow. Boss man methinks :D

You forgot the rest of the sentence.

Good job trying to make me look bad though.
    Cheers for attempts.

I'm sure you mean well, and maybe have some ulterior motive for posting this topic, but your attitude seems to be rubbing a lot of people up the wrong way here. Maybe a change of tack might be better?

It is clear that your average 28 year old has a bit more of a clue about the world than the 18 year old, but of course the 18 year old believes he has it all worked out.

I never said my profession put me ahead of anyone. Getting a bit paranoid there huh?

Don't insult my family.
    Thanks.

You were insinuating your profession did put you ahead of me. Get a bit paranoid yourself.
    And children now days are more educated than most adults. and i say most so dont get me wrong there.
    An 18 can definitely be smarter than a 28 year old just as a 28 year old can be smarter than a 38 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Where To wrote: »

If you bother looking at my previous posts of my experience with others who are years older than me you'll see i've not seen any effect on them either.
    Experience tells me it has no effect on me or those who i've seen who smoke it(and many many of my friends do, not all teenagers or young adults)
    I take it to chill. to relax a little. not take my mind off anything. To enjoy things more. Jokes become funnier, food tastes better and sex is waaay better. Not to forget about anything. I remember everything when im drunk or stoned so it does not have that effect on me and i dont take it for any of your reasons
    QED

Don't insult my family.
    Thanks.

Okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Oh to be 18 and think I knew everything again.

They could certainly teach us all some manners.

Which was it?

We always used weed and hash inter changeably. The Weed was hydro mostly and the Hash was ****e from the local heads.

Sorry if I got my weights wrong. I merely wished to point out that 3 times a month is not regular.

I smoked a **** load that is my point. I am not good on ounces here, as I don't usually think in ounces.

And no I honestly didn't pay for it 80% of the time. I lived in a large house with 9 other people on and off who partied, a lot.

Brokentime wrote: »
    I'm sure you mean well, and maybe have some ulterior motive for posting this topic, but your attitude seems to be rubbing a lot of people up the wrong way here. Maybe a change of tack might be better?

If you read back through the thread, you'll notice that the immaturity was not my cause, nor have I continued it. I was praised for my politeness (: I have tried to remain polite with everyone in this thread but some people just don't seem to understand the concept of a multi-way discussion.

Any 'rubbing up' of people I have done has been using their own insolent remarks or arrogant posts against them.

Thank you by the way. But I doubt I have an attitude issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

Which was it?

We always used weed and hash inter changeably. The Weed was hydro mostly and the Hash was ****e from the local heads.

Sorry if I got my weights wrong. I merely wished to point out that 3 times a month is not regular.

I smoked a **** load that is my point. I am not good on ounces here, as I don't usually think in ounces.

And no I honestly didn't pay for it 80% of the time. I lived in a large house with 9 other people on and off who partied, a lot.
    Strong smell of methane.

Anon I you quoted me out of context.

You said I cannot think critically
    My response was that I have qualifications that I would not have if I could not think critically.

Nothing to do with this supposed superiority complex your now accusing me of, by selective quoting.

• Advertisement

QED? ho does that apply here?
    That i just owned his whole argument? I agree.
    QED means "which was to be demonstrated" which i did demonstrate.
    unless you have some other meaning for QED

Ah you see, he didn't say 'regular' now did he. He said 'relatively regular'.

If you were as good a critical thinker as you claim to be, you'd understand the concept of relativity.
    Please, revise your argument.

If you read back through the thread, you'll notice that the immaturity was not my cause, nor have I continued it. I was praised for my politeness (: I have tried to remain polite with everyone in this thread but some people just don't seem to understand the concept of a multi-way discussion.

Any 'rubbing up' of people I have done has been using their own insolent remarks or arrogant posts against them.

Thank you by the way. But I doubt I have an attitude issue.

Well why don't you give everyone some background about your interest in this, then? Some context. If people know something about you, they'll be more open, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The last time I saw so much backpedalling was when I rode a tandem with Lance Armstrong.

Ah you see, he didn't say 'regular' now did he. He said 'relatively regular'.

If you were as good a critical thinker as you claim to be, you'd understand the concept of relativity.
    Please, revise your argument.

He did say regular. WTF are you on about you lunatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Not going to recommend weed to young people, alright because smoking it will demotivate. You might retain your career path, but if you never had one in the first place you may not look for one! Tend to wear it on our sleeves, when young but now I just keep it on the bedside cabinet.

The occasional disco biscuit if you must, maybe some acid in good company but jeep it few and far between I've seen a few E victims from growing up in the 90s, left feeling not particarly special in sharp contrast.. like a perma seratonin deficiency. Head-downs-syndrome?! Was only a toddler in the 70s, so can't really comment on acid casualties but had a bad trip or two.. nothing major just learned that some people really are cùnts so more beneficial I felt! Real third-eye opener that... do what you want, but at the end of the day there's only ever weed.

The last time I saw so much backpedalling was when I rode a tandem with Lance Armstrong.

What I said I smoked alot for 3 years, and I did. What is the big deal?

Anon I you quoted me out of context.

You said I cannot think critically
    My response was that I have qualifications that I would not have if I could not think critically.

Nothing to do with this supposed superiority complex your now accusing me of, by selective quoting.

Again, you need to review the route of both of those arguments. You'll find that they're quite linked enough to reference both.

Still, your professional and age pretense hasn't put you in a very good place in this thread.

syndeyfife wrote: »
    The first, when a relatively young couple got stoned on a regular bases. Their daughter was 6 months old. Of course with the two of them being stoned they couldnt look after her properly. The child was taken into foster care months later...

Smoking weed was the least of their problems. Also, what you're talking about is parents abusing drugs and abusing their child (****ing bastards).

Abuse of any child is reprehensible - abuse of drugs is a serious problem; this is undeniable.

People should be allowed to consume drugs responsibly - if they become aggressive cunts they should face sanction. It's important that we delineate these concepts or the debate descends into farce.

• Advertisement

Ok Anon and Darragh, back under your bridges.

Advertisement