Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Bra for niece

Options
  • 19-07-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am hoping all you wise parents can help me with this. My mam mentioned to me today that my twelve year old niece has started to fill out. She lives with her father currently and I would often take herself and her sister to get clothes other girly things. Now I will be shopping soon and my mam has suggested that I take her to get a bra fitted for her. Do dept stores like debenhams, Shaws etc do training bras, or.what ever they are called? Also she is at a funny age, so how do I broach this subject with.her without embarrassing her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

missmaw wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am hoping all you wise parents can help me with this. My mam mentioned to me today that my twelve year old niece has started to fill out. She lives with her father currently and I would often take herself and her sister to get clothes other girly things. Now I will be shopping soon and my mam has suggested that I take her to get a bra fitted for her. Do dept stores like debenhams, Shaws etc do training bras, or.what ever they are called? Also she is at a funny age, so how do I broach this subject with.her without embarrassing her?
    Debenhams have a decent selection in their 'tween' dept; better quality but a bit more 'bra' style than croppy tops...
    I guess it depends how open she is to it? With my sister, I'd bought her some soft crop tops a few months before we got a soft bra, suggesting its a handy way to get used to wearing a bra all the time. At 12, chances are all her friends are wearing either the soft tops or ones with more shape. Have fun with the experience too I think, and she'll feel more comfy..
    Dunnes do some nice ones too that last longer than Penneys I've found...
    Oh and encourage her to try on her tshirt/top with the new bra On to see how she feels, some girls don't like if the straps are on show x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - you were 12 once, try to think what would have worked for you in this situation. Obviously it can be mortifying, but it can also be a great bonding girls day out & a rite-of-passage. Try to see this from your niece's point of view & remember what it was like to be that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

Thank you both for the advice. Will hopefully make it a good day for her and I'll try not to embarrass her to much

Thanks again x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 The Good Will Out

Marks & Spencers are great for measuring, they will ensure only suitalble teen bras are chosen, the croppy tops are great too, but probably won't be any good if she is ready for or needs a bra. Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 PoloTops

how did it go ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I may be too late but as a father I would advise you to have a word with him before you go ahead. It's her first bra ... it's a big thing (mmm that came out wrong ... but you know what I mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

Hey sorry for the delay in reply. Brought her to Debenhams and got her measured and a few there as well as a few in Dunnes. No problem she wasn't too bothered about the whole situation. The youth of today and their general disinterest with everything.

I checked with her dad of course, and he was happy enough for me to take care of it.

Thanks again

Advertisement