Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused whether to defer or not

• 19-07-2012 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Okay so I have Arts in Nuig down as my number one and public and social policy in nuig as my second choice.

The thing is I have business in GMIT down as my number one level seven. I have been thinking recently I struggled greatly with accounting in school and I'm not even sure I'll pass it in my leaving cert and the thought of doing this next year...not good.

I'm worried that I wont get any level 8 offers and would be left having to do business in gmit as I have now realized I want nothing more then to try and get into social work. I know I could do courses for social work which would be more direct outside galway but I can't afford to move. So what I'm trying to say I'm considering deferring in august if I don't get one of my level 8 offers and I plan to work for the year get my license help out more at home and save up some money I was then going to apply for a plc course the following year which could gain me access to Arts in Nuig. I just want people advice on would it be worth doing or not. I'm turning 19 in september which would make me 21 by the time i go to college if i do a plc course. Would this be old for a first year?

Sorry for the big lengthy message any help would be great though :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Hi princess,

Off course 21 is not too old for a first year, age has nothing to do with it. There will be many people doing your course who will be years older than you so age shouldn't be a problem.

However, would you not consider repeating the leaving cert in 2013 and then hopefully get into arts next year? Thatway it is only one year of a wait so you will be 20 and you don't need to go and do a PLC course. The points for arts will be very achievable if you put in some work. Instead of waiting two years you will only be waiting one year.

Its somethig to think about and it would be what I would think would be the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Princess, a lot of plc courses allow you to apply for them after the leaving cert results are out, for people who didn't think/realise they'd go on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Firstly, I think you're jumping ahead of yourself; don't jump to conclusions about your results until you get them.

Having a back-up plan is never a bad idea ofc, but see it as that rather than stressing and assuming the worst.

Secondly, why don't you explore what options are open to you to apply to PLCs right now ... again, in the spirit of "back-up plan". ;)

You mention one which is linked to Arts in NUIG; have a look too for ones in Social Care / that area perhaps? (this one for example)

Courses *may* be full at this stage, demand for all courses has risen over the last couple of years, but may be no harm to see if you can get your name on the waiting list either. Others will have applied who may not take up places they have been offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Raeone wrote: »
    Hi princess,

Off course 21 is not too old for a first year, age has nothing to do with it. There will be many people doing your course who will be years older than you so age shouldn't be a problem.

However, would you not consider repeating the leaving cert in 2013 and then hopefully get into arts next year? Thatway it is only one year of a wait so you will be 20 and you don't need to go and do a PLC course. The points for arts will be very achievable if you put in some work. Instead of waiting two years you will only be waiting one year.

Its somethig to think about and it would be what I would think would be the best option.
    I know you say repeat but I don't think it would be an option for me I really fear about my results due to the fact of bad subject choices. I pretty sure If I had chosen other subjects I wouldn't be in the situation I am in now( all my own fault) If I was to repeat I would still have to repeat the same subjects as I can't afford to go to private school where they basically let you start from scratch and do any subject you want. So repeating I guess is just off my cards Thank you though :) I think I'm beginning to realize 21 isn't to old either :)

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Princess, a lot of plc courses allow you to apply for them after the leaving cert results are out, for people who didn't think/realise they'd go on one.
    I actually wasn't aware of this I thought you had to apply all before the results so I'll be looking into this thanks :)

• Advertisement

Firstly, I think you're jumping ahead of yourself; don't jump to conclusions about your results until you get them.

Having a back-up plan is never a bad idea ofc, but see it as that rather than stressing and assuming the worst.

Secondly, why don't you explore what options are open to you to apply to PLCs right now ... again, in the spirit of "back-up plan". ;)

You mention one which is linked to Arts in NUIG; have a look too for ones in Social Care / that area perhaps? (this one for example)

Courses *may* be full at this stage, demand for all courses has risen over the last couple of years, but may be no harm to see if you can get your name on the waiting list either. Others will have applied who may not take up places they have been offered.
    I know I think I've just so worried about them the last few weeks and everyone telling me it will be okay. I am just going to wait and see what I get I just wanna have that back up there so I'm not completely lost. Thanks for the link to the course I'm going to look into and a few other :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Princessxx wrote: »
    I know you say repeat but I don't think it would be an option for me I really fear about my results due to the fact of bad subject choices. I pretty sure If I had chosen other subjects I wouldn't be in the situation I am in now( all my own fault) If I was to repeat I would still have to repeat the same subjects as I can't afford to go to private school where they basically let you start from scratch and do any subject you want. So repeating I guess is just off my cards Thank you though :) I think I'm beginning to realize 21 isn't to old either :)

I wouldn't rule it out to be honest. You could drop some subjects so if you did seven or eight subjects last year you could drop down to six subjects and concentrate more on them. Which subjects did you do last year and would you liked to have changed?

You are not stuck studying the same subjects and you don't need to go to a private school.
    Economics, Geography and Buisness are pretty doable in a year and if you felt you struggled with another subject such as physics or another then you could drop that and take up a new one. Its something which I feel shouldn't be ruled out for someone in your situation.

I'm unsure whether your old school would take back repeats but you could chat to them about it or there may be another school nearby which does.

It would save you a year.

Advertisement