Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards pretty un-useable

Options
  • 19-07-2012 10:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Boards pretty un-useable
    Anyone else finding Boards pretty un-useable since the skin upgrade ?

It takes about 30 seconds for a page to load, sometimes it only loads 10% of the page and I have to hit F5

logging in takes 45 seconds +

Constantly getting errors about scripts.

If I watch the page load it seems to be sticking loading adds.

Most annoying thing is that on the homepage after clicking After hours you can only see about 12 threads before having to click to page 2

on the old skin you could see about 30 - 40 threads, way more to pick from from just 1 page.

Also now there is a banner across the top saying Boards, even if I scroll down, this isn't great from a work point of view, harder to hide what you're viewing as now it says BOARDS on the top, great.....

good upgrade job admins

back in 20
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, everything working smoothly and quickly here for me. No issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Well unless it's happening to all I will assume it's my problem so

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It is slower for me than the old version, but not as bad as described by the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Our benchmarks say the site is slightly faster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I haven't noticed any speed issues.

• Advertisement

I must be sitting on a different bench, then. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No problems but I'm using the old skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Know what you mean OP - when I select a forum - if I see no updates in bold and I want to go to another of my favourites I have to wait for the ad loader things to finish before My Forums is available for me to navigate out again.

Is that what you mean or are you seeing something else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Taltos wrote: »
    Know what you mean OP - when I select a forum - if I see no updates in bold and I want to go to another of my favourites I have to wait for the ad loader things to finish before My Forums is available for me to navigate out again.

Is that what you mean or are you seeing something else?

No I'm seeing something else, it's happening on every page load.
    I have the old skin but am getting script errors, have to hit F5 to reload the page as only 10% of it loads then stops.

it seems to be sticking loading adds which is causing the delay ( I think )
    definately slower than the old skin for me anyway

I have tried this on IE9 & Latest firefox, same difference.
    all other websites load v fast for me so it must be boards.

PS - this was fine before the whole skin upgrade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

Am noticing a dramtic slowing down since the new skin, banner ads arcoss the middle of a page will scroll up and cover the menu at the top of the screen, and if I'm not logged in and go to reply to a thread by pressing the quote button, I get internet explorer could not open the page
    https://www.boards.ie/auth/login?redirect=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ib2FyZHMuaWUvL3ZidWxsZXRpbi9uZXdyZXBseS5waHA/ZG89bmV3cmVwbHkmcD03OTc5NDA4MQ==#

Pretty poor so far..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Haven't noticed any slowness, what I have noticed is the CP button doesn't work on my iPad, just an annoying little niggle. The rest is great though, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    No I'm seeing something else, it's happening on every page load.
    I have the old skin but am getting script errors, have to hit F5 to reload the page as only 10% of it loads then stops.

it seems to be sticking loading adds which is causing the delay ( I think )
    definately slower than the old skin for me anyway

I have tried this on IE9 & Latest firefox, same difference.
    all other websites load v fast for me so it must be boards.

PS - this was fine before the whole skin upgrade ?

Maybe try updating to the new skin so and see if you notice a difference. Personally once I got used to it I do find it better - quite logical where you find things and easy to move around on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Used to be usable but slow when I had to use dialup but now its too slow and the menu system fails to load so no drop down menu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Beta skin (logged in):
    116 requests ❘ 66.64KB transferred ❘ 1.70s (onload: 1.74s, DOMContentLoaded: 1.63s)

New skin (not logged in):
    54 requests ❘ 16.10KB transferred ❘ 1.08s (onload: 1.08s, DOMContentLoaded: 964ms)

Both run on chrome on this thread within a minute of each other, second load in each case so cache already primed.

Danny's seldom wrong about this type of stuff... and... it's also unwise to upset a Wookie.. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

It takes about 30 seconds for a page to load, sometimes it only loads 10% of the page and I have to hit F5

logging in takes 45 seconds +

Sounds like a problem at your end re: connection speeds.

Most annoying thing is that on the homepage after clicking After hours you can only see about 12 threads before having to click to page 2

on the old skin you could see about 30 - 40 threads, way more to pick from from just 1 page.

No you couldn't. There's always been 25 threads per page or something like that.
    Also now there is a banner across the top saying Boards, even if I scroll down, this isn't great from a work point of view, harder to hide what you're viewing as now it says BOARDS on the top, great.....

You can unsticky the header so it doesn't follow you around like an annoying thingamabob. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eirator wrote: »
    Used to be usable but slow when I had to use dialup but now its too slow and the menu system fails to load so no drop down menu.
    Try using http://touch.boards.ie on dialup. It has less images and less content per page so should load quicker

I was using IE, I just tried it on Chrome. Much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

No problems here under either Firefox and IE - OP have you tried clearing out all your old temp files?

Advertisement