Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Davies - The O2 - 21st Oct

Options
  • 19-07-2012 10:49am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ray Davies will play The O2 Dublin (intimate theatre-style configuration) on Sunday 21 October 2012. Tickets go on sale Thursday 26 July at 9.00am. Don't miss out!

€49.65 - €64.95

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Seems a very ambitious choice of venue, considering the fact that he's always played much smaller places in Dublin, e.g. Vicar Street and the Grand Canal Theatre (I refuse to call it that other name). The latter venue seems to be free that night as well.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Seems a very ambitious choice of venue, considering the fact that he's always played much smaller places in Dublin, e.g. Vicar Street and the Grand Canal Theatre (I refuse to call it that other name). The latter venue seems to be free that night as well.

Id say the top tier will be curtained off and just have the other 2 seating tiers on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Absolutely, but why not just put him in a 2,000 seat theatre, rather than reduce a larger capacity venue to an "intimate" arrangement?

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought that was a weird one myself. I saw him here in Galway in the Roisin Dubh a few weeks ago. Ticket prices was €40, which is top range for Roisin gigs but I think Vicar St would be a far better place to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

squonk wrote: »
    I thought that was a weird one myself. I saw him here in Galway in the Roisin Dubh a few weeks ago. Ticket prices was €40, which is top range for Roisin gigs but I think Vicar St would be a far better place to see him.

What kind of set did he play? Would love to hear the Kinks stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Looking at the setlist from this month, from America. He played 22 songs in total, 19 were Kinks songs, 2 were Woody Guthrie songs and one was his own from solo stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I saw him a few weeks ago in Derry. The vast majority of the songs were from The Kinks catalogue and only one from his solo records (Working Man's Cafe, which is a decent album). He did an amazing version of 20th Century Man with his full band, better than the album version I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

squonk wrote: »

I saw him there as well. It was brilliant. I loved his banter with the audience.
    95% Kinks stuff.

It'll be a great gig where ever its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Id say the top tier will be curtained off and just have the other 2 seating tiers on sale

Yeah there's an image on the Ticketmaster site for Intimate Theatre Setting, like you guessed its just the top tier curtained off.

I wouldn't consider that overly intimate!

Still tempted to go to this, I've heard great things about his shows.

http://media.ticketmaster.co.uk/tm/en-gb/tmimages/venue/maps/uk2/13665s_a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Very tempting. I think you will see more "intimate" gigs in the 02.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

He was very good when I saw him. He's very much into interacting with the crowd, which normally I wouldn't care much about, but he pulled it off with so much gusto and enthusiasm you're swept into it.

It was split into two halves: the first just him and another guitarist, and then him and a full band. Definitely go to it. So many cracking songs: Autumn Almanac, Til The End of the Day, I Need You, Celluloid Heroes, Days, Tired of Waiting For You, A Well Respected Man, etc. We actually brought along a few paper plates with requests written on them but we were too far back to fling them onto stage unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Two front row seats booked, looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Group Theory Rocks

I saw him with the Crouch End Festival chorus in London around Christmas 2010. An incredible gig. He played mostly Kinks stuff. "Waterloo Sunset" was the greatest moment of my life. Followed by "Days".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

woo forgot to post here yesterday after getting tickets - got seats in the 2nd row, can't wait. Saw him at Glastonbury two years ago and was one of the best sets I've ever experienced. I think the Crouch End chorus were singing with him then too (well, there was definitely a choir, not sure who exactly). Was sorry I couldn't make it to Westport recently but this makes up for it!

Have been watching him solo on youtube, should be a really good show

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ciaranf92

He's playing Whitla Hall in Belfast the night before.
    Tickets are half the price and capacity is about 1/5th of Dublin O2.

Looks like you guys are getting stung :pac:

ciaranf92 wrote: »

That sounds about right, bloody Ireland

ciaranf92 wrote: »

Id say one of the main reasons is that the O2 is a lot more expensive to rent our then Whitla Hall and they have to make their money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

Id say one of the main reasons is that the O2 is a lot more expensive to rent our then Whitla Hall and they have to make their money back

He could have played the Grand canal theatre or Vicar Street, they would be a lot less expensive than the o2 to rent out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Maybe its me.......but I'd be more asking whats wrong with the Irish gig going public that yissers are wondering why Ray Davies would be playing such a large venue.

I've always considered the Kinks to be not that far behind the Beatles and the Stones in the pantheon of '60s music. For example, I'd say The Who if they were together would have no probs filling the O2, and I'd certainly rate The Kinks alongside them. The Kinks were a massive band with at least 8 or 9 songs that that are bona fide classics. Ray Davies was the main man in the Kinks and will be playing their hits.......why wouldnt he sell out the O2? Supertramp did FFS. Whats the missing piece in the jigsaw here?

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Maybe its me.......but I'd be more asking whats wrong with the Irish gig going public that yissers are wondering why Ray Davies would be playing such a large venue.

I've always considered the Kinks to be not that far behind the Beatles and the Stones in the pantheon of '60s music. For example, I'd say The Who if they were together would have no probs filling the O2, and I'd certainly rate The Kinks alongside them. The Kinks were a massive band with at least 8 or 9 songs that that are bona fide classics. Ray Davies was the main man in the Kinks and will be playing their hits.......why wouldnt he sell out the O2? Supertramp did FFS. Whats the missing piece in the jigsaw here?

I am still going, it's just silly that he is playing a smaller venue for cheaper up north, IMO smaller venues are much better

He could have played the Grand canal theatre or Vicar Street, they would be a lot less expensive than the o2 to rent out

Because they know he can sell those venues out and instead of doing 2 nights in either of those venues they want to do 1 night in the O2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just in the door from this. Very enjoyable gig, Ray hasn't lost it, great interaction with the audience and his band were top notch. My favourite moment of the night was the epic performance of Celluloid Heroes.

I thought the support act was excellent also, beautiful voice and some lovely songs. Did anybody catch his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

Typical ray gig,very energetic and top performance.not sure O2 suited ,vicar st 07 was ideal. Set list from last night:

This is where I belong
    Autumn almanac
    Dedicated follower of fashion
    In the moment
    Sunny afternoon
    See my friends
    Apeman
    Dead end street
    Victoria
    20th century man
    Till the end of the day
    Where have all the good times gone
    Tired of waiting for you
    A long way from home
    Waterloo sunset
    Celluloid heroes
    Lola
    All day and all of the night
    Days
    You really got me

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Just in the door from this. Very enjoyable gig, Ray hasn't lost it, great interaction with the audience and his band were top notch. My favourite moment of the night was the epic performance of Celluloid Heroes.

I thought the support act was excellent also, beautiful voice and some lovely songs. Did anybody catch his name?

Rainy boy sleep was his name..Thought the main gig was brilliant,good old fashioned rock and roll.
    The guy on lead guitar was awesome,can't think of his name but he's from Cork.

Advertisement