Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primavera Sound - 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

nm wrote: »
    I've no accommodation booked yet, am I screwed? Anyone got any recommendations?

I booked an apartment on the beach, got it for 5 nights for €525 with feelBarcelona.com. hotels in barca are pretty expensive, apartment usually is the cheapest option outside of hostels. Aim for the villa olimpico, eixample and el born areas to be closest to the venue.

Good luck

Guess the options are to either see the ones you miss at EP or at their own shows. Better get the tix for Swans Thee oh Sees and ****ed Up now. Pain.Whats John Talabot like?

Spanish dj, electronica a bit of a trance vibe which will work pretty well there. Saw him in button factory last december. Check out his album fIN releases last year. Got some serious reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Yeh, but they've changed the timetables on thurs and fri so Swans and Killer Mike are gone for me, Swans/Blur/Glass Candy/ How to dress Well. Bastards.

Couldn't let that sentiment pass without a mention for Goat. They truly are bastards (the schedulers that is - not the nutjob Swedish psych-rockers). Friday is littered with great bands - and most of them are clashing with each other...

That said, quite happy with both Thursday and Saturday schedules.

DJ Koze to close things out on Saturday will hopefully be the perfect finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Can anyone tell me what the story is with Sunday - where the venues are, how to get tickets etc? I only managed to get day tickets for Friday and Saturday cos I was too late for the weekend tickets.

Is there anything on in the Audotori this year at all?

According to the primavera website under FAQs if you have an event ticket day or full weekend pass you can go the Wednesday / Sunday gigs and get in for free by showing the event ticket. That should sort you out. As far as I am aware all events (outside of club partners) are in the Forum or else at the Ciutadella

• Advertisement

Just been updating my primavera playlist and you are right, the swans v Glass Candy v Blur clash is brutal. might end up basing my decision on distance and beer availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Toast wrote: »
    You could do the journey in 10 minutes but when you factor in people, booze, toilets, etc it can add up. Hard to describe the deliberateness of the festival but it is unlike anything else I've encountered with the proper surfaces and no mud. It is really hard to even get a feel for it with photos if you've not been there as flickr streams concentrate on the bands and not the place. I'll throw together a collection of my own photos which I took with the intention of showing off the place in the next day or two to give first timers an idea as it was a source of frustration trying to find something similar when I was in the same boat.

I went back and tried to find photos that fit the bill for this but I'd cropped most of them and I don't have the time to go back to the originals and redo them so I've had to make do with what I got.

Probably helps to look at a map while doing this.

Outside the festival. The blue triangle shaped building on the right is the Auditori.

Red Bull bus + auditori.

Rayban Stage from up on the bluff.

Walkway behind Rayban stage (you can see it in the right hand corner) heading towards Addidas stage.

Addidas stage.

Space between rest of festival and Mini stage. This year ATP and Heineken are beyond the coke stand and to the right.

Mini Stage (Heineken will be in a similar area but angled to face the sea).

Walk back from Mini stage (atp stage on the right which is gone now).

Pitchfork stage under the photovaltic sail on the left.

Vice stage to the right of the photovaltic sail (stairs there are a quick way back to the main stage.

Main stage from pretty far back on the hill (this will be Primavera stage this year) Photovaltic sail is to the left in this photo.

Hopefully that'll give people a better idea of the layout and the size. It's really quite something and walking down to the mini stage in the dusk was amazing as you see the entire coast of Barcelona all lit up. Down the other end with Vice and Pitchfork is a functioning marina and during the earlier bands you'd get boats coming in and the like. Seriously one of my favourite venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sile seilide

They will be releasing more weekend tickets on May 7th I believe.

Thanks@toast the scale us immense and proper stages! Note to self; Converse or boots not girly sandals. Theres gonna be alot of walking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

Thanks@toast the scale us immense and proper stages! Note to self; Converse or boots not girly sandals. Theres gonna be alot of walking

You could also bring a cushion as as toast says its pretty much all concret except for the hill on what will be the primavera stage this year.
    my feet were aching last year going home each night

• Advertisement

Is there anything on in the Audotori this year at all?

Looks like 4 acts a day - early doors. None of the bigger names (for me, anyhow...)

If I'm feeling sprightly enough by Saturday, will try to catch the Pantha du Prince / Nils Frahm / Apparat run of shows there.

Anyone with even a passing appreciation of solo piano playing should make sure not to miss Nils Frahm.

Saw him at Unitarian Church last November - captivating, charismatic live performer. Not words I usually associate with solo pianists....

Clashfinder is up for this. Handiest way to see what's on where and start thinking about what you'll go see.

My thoughts here - hoping to make all the acts highlighted in green.

http://clashfinder.com/s/ps13/?user=grudgehugger

I think the set end times are educated guesswork rather than official.

Will be interesting to look back afterwards and see what actually happens!

Clashfinder is up for this. Handiest way to see what's on where and start thinking about what you'll go see.

My thoughts here - hoping to make all the acts highlighted in green.

http://clashfinder.com/s/ps13/?user=grudgehugger

I think the set end times are educated guesswork rather than official.

Will be interesting to look back afterwards and see what actually happens!

Great Idea, got mine up and now. http://clashfinder.com/s/ps13/?user=beansybeansy

lets see how many we make....

You could also bring a cushion as as toast says its pretty much all concret except for the hill on what will be the primavera stage this year.
    my feet were aching last year going home each night

Definately a bit of endurance is required for this one! going to make sure I stay up as late as possible on the Wednesday so can sleep late on Thursday, start adjusting the body clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dublinkeith

Great Idea, got mine up and now. http://clashfinder.com/s/ps13/?user=beansybeansy

lets see how many we make....
    http://clashfinder.com/s/ps13/?user=dubkeith&

Beansybeansy, I'm going to Talabot on your advice, better be good!

http://clashfinder.com/s/ps13/?user=dubkeith&

Beansybeansy, I'm going to Talabot on your advice, better be good!

I promise it will be good. Link to his miami boiler room set last month is below.

Tell you what, if you hate it will buy you a beer

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=5voyBg9CU9s&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5voyBg9CU9s

Thanks, that was a link to posh folkies The Lumineers. Now I need to take a shower to cleanse my ears.

Thanks, that was a link to posh folkies The Lumineers. Now I need to take a shower to cleanse my ears.

Mortified!! Sincere apologies. Here you go. I do wish to assure you that the lumineers are not my pick, mate sent me the link to see if I could figure out the tune they ripped off. Posh folkies is a perfect description

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1BYw__Q0Jg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For anyone who's interested, there's a Facebook group for people interested in meet-ups before and during the festival e.g. there's a knacker drinking in the park session planned for the Wednesday afternoon, a pub meet-up that night etc. It's been going a few years although I'm new to it... very international set of people as far as I can make out...

It's also a great source of general info and sh1tetalking on the festival.

PM me with an email address if interested as new people need to be invited to join.

I won't be able to commit to that but if you are looking for a good Wednesday night spot to suggest we always find our way to Bar Tequila off the Placa Reill aka the headphones bar. They've a dj you drop your request into on pen and paper they've scattered around the place. Then the music plays at a reasonable volume in the bar or if you want it louder you grab one of the many headphones lining the bar. Music is mildish metal to indie rock so always good for terrible singalongs.

• Advertisement

I won't be able to commit to that but if you are looking for a good Wednesday night spot to suggest we always find our way to Bar Tequila off the Placa Reill aka the headphones bar. They've a dj you drop your request into on pen and paper they've scattered around the place. Then the music plays at a reasonable volume in the bar or if you want it louder you grab one of the many headphones lining the bar. Music is mildish metal to indie rock so always good for terrible singalongs.

Thanks for the tip, my flight lands about 8pm on the Weds, have to get to the apartment check in and stuff so wont be hitting town until 11pm or so but will definately check that out.

@Grudgehugger, will PM you in a minute about that facebook thing. Its my first Primavera and am only going with himself so a hook up with some regular heads will be a good shout

There is a decent enough club around the corner too called Sidecar that the festival usually has some pre-gigs in so that is also a good place to try. Be wary of that area though at night. It is popular for late night drinking but the pickpockets are all over it. If you give them a chance they will take it. Do NOT let anyone hug or dance with you on the street as that is often a ruse to get to your wallet.

There is a decent enough club around the corner too called Sidecar that the festival usually has some pre-gigs in so that is also a good place to try. Be wary of that area though at night. It is popular for late night drinking but the pickpockets are all over it. If you give them a chance they will take it. Do NOT let anyone hug or dance with you on the street as that is often a ruse to get to your wallet.

You are right to put a warning out. I lived in barcelona for 2 months back in 2008. 6 of us were out working there and only me and one other didnt get robbed / dipped at somepoint. Think my naturally miserable disposition helps.

Best advice is, dont look like a tourist with maps or waving your smart phone around. Only carry what you need, dont keep all your cards / cash in the same pocket. If carrying a bag, have one with zips and that goes across the body and keep your arm over it as they do cut the straps and pull them from you.

Be safe out there people!

Avoid any hassle by wearing a Coldplay tshirt. Even the scumbags won't be arsed coming within ten feet of you.

Bruno Mars. The rejected lovechild of Sammy Davis Jr and an Oompah Loompah.

Just had an email from the crowd I booked my apartment with. Owner doubled booked, fortunately they have offered me another that is even closer to the forum. Bullett dodged but still a bit pissed off.

Who did you use? Got stung with a cancellation before when we had something on the doorstep of the festival which was annoying. I suspect they either wanted it for a mate for the festival or someone gave them a better offer. Must dig up who the crowd were. I've been using rent4days.com since and never had a problem (we get the same place every year now and the guy who gives us the keys knows us at this point).

Who did you use? Got stung with a cancellation before when we had something on the doorstep of the festival which was annoying. I suspect they either wanted it for a mate for the festival or someone gave them a better offer. Must dig up who the crowd were. I've been using rent4days.com since and never had a problem (we get the same place every year now and the guy who gives us the keys knows us at this point).

We use local nomad. Never had a problem with them before. Used them for 2months in barca a couple of years ago when I worked there, and for a long stays in Athens and Amsterdam. They have waived the late check in fees too so can't complain. We had a place in villa olimpica and they offered us another closer to forum but we have just switched to eixample as it has its own roof terrace.

Youre lucky to have a conection. Where about s are you staying?

Haha.. I would hardly call him a connection... it is just we are such creatures of habit and go to the same place every year with the same people at the same time that the guy who comes out on the scooter to give us the keys to the place has started going "hey you guys again!.. you know the spiel so I wont bother!"

We are pretty much beside the Glories shopping Center which is about 30 mins walk from the festival on Avenue Diagonal. Usually grab the tram to get to the festival (Trams and buses are often overlooked in favour of the metro in Barcelona... people should check if there is a more convenient bus to the festival than the metro....they're great). Have been known to walk home but the N7 nitebus (which a T10 is valid for) can also get us home for cheap which is nice.

Found this interesting thing in trying to find bus info for the festival: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/events/music/primavera-sound-festival-barcelona.html

Looks on the face of it to have some pretty useful info for newbies.

Edit: This is the Barcelona public transport website that will formulate a travel plan involving metros and buses based on time, location, destination etc. very useful (unfortunately doesn't feature trams): http://www.tmb.cat/en/home

• Advertisement

thanks!

Our new gaff is not good for the tram but its only 2 stops on the red metro then a change onto the L4 line that goes straight there. I fully expect to be there until gone 5am each morning so can do everything via metro and get my moneys worth out of my T10 card. Am lucky that I know the city quite well so worst case, we can walk back - about a 45 minute walk.

Really cant wait for it, dont know why I am so hyped up for it, its certainly not my first rodeo buut Barca is such a cracking city and the line up is the best of any festival this summer, I have high expectations

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement