Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primavera Sound - 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Toast wrote: »
    Rodriquez has cancelled. Was going to see Apparat anyway but I'm sure a few people will be disappointed.

Been trawling the Spanish forum to get hints on the secret show. Apparently theyve said it is a "legendary 90s US indie rock band". No indication if it is someone from the lineup or not. People are suggesting it will be a Dinosaur JR. show though they started in the 80s. Band seems to suggest the previous guess of Bob Mould might be out. My guess is Shellac.

Do Shellac play any other tour dates as well as prima. Always there.

Anyways I'm on a fight on monday morning... waheyyyy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

lordgoat wrote: »
    Do Shellac play any other tour dates as well as prima. Always there.

Anyways I'm on a fight on monday morning... waheyyyy

they do play a few other shows every year, but only play where they want,its been a long time since they played Ireland.
    Roll on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

4 more days til I fly out. Wednesday cant come quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Toast wrote: »
    Rodriquez has cancelled. Was going to see Apparat anyway but I'm sure a few people will be disappointed.

Damn! Missed him in the button factory last year, was only enjoying the sun and listening to Establishment Blues yesterday:(

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Got my wristband today - all very exciting as my first time @ Prima :)

Surprised to find that I need to not only have the wristband (easy enough) but also have a swipe card thing to get in/out every day.

Do they not know how difficult I find it keeping hold of stuff???

Tonight's nightmares will be of a three hour search for the swipe card on Thursday....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

Flying out tomorrow afternoon. Finally its (nearly) Primavera Time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Didn't bother with any of the gigs on tonight and just enjoyed some food and city atmosphere but could see a lot of activity around the place related to the festival. There was a time not too long ago where it felt that the rest of the city didn't know that the festival was happening but it is now very prevalent. Even the Aer Lingus in flight magazine had a mention.

I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a lot more lively than previous Primaveras. There is a new interest in the place that is starting to transcend the hipster image. Not to say that has died as plenty of dodgy moustaches, discussion of vinyl and how the Rodriguez documentary flubbed the facts.. and that was just overheard on the journey there (yes I overheard a dodgy moustache).

Seems to be a good influx of curious especially from the UK for Blur. I have a feeling this is similar to the way the Smashing Pumpkins/White Stripes in 2007 introduced the festival to a lot of people (me included).

Tomorrow itinerary for myself:

Wild Nothing (if I can convince people to go in early for it)
    White Fence/Woods (leaning towards Woods)
    Tame Impala
    Do Make Say think
    Postal Service
    Hot Snakes
    ****ed up
    Death Grips
    Animal Collective (Toundra is tempting as an alternative if AC dont hook me)
    John Talabot (realistically not making it close to this at all).

The plan for today.....

Get my ass out of bed
    Some ill-advised boozing (if only to stave off this hangover)
    Wild Nothing (maybe....)
    Savages (probably)
    Tame Impala (deffo!)
    Dino Jr
    Deerhunter
    G Bear
    Phoenix
    Animal Collective
    J Talabot (back to maybe....)

Let's do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Weather looking ok for today until late when ALL the rain is going to fall. BBC has that for 5am but could be earlier. Going to bring the full festival kit I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Great festival, despite the large numbers moving around wasn't too difficult. Though I have heard locals complaining about increasing numbers of piss-head Brits. had to tell a couple of people to shut up at times but in general people were polite and well-behaved. Couldn't be arsed drinking pissy Heineken at €3.50 a doble. Dexys standout performance for me, helped by the fact I bagged a front row spot. Other highlights: Savages, Shellac, Nick Cave, Daniel Johnson (though only got to see half of it due to queues).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Line up was great and I got to see some brilliant performances. Blur was a religious experience and I think they played fairly well though it wouldn't have mattered as it was rightly a big sing song. Do Make Say Think killed it - wish they would have played more than 35 minutes. The Breeders were great despite sound problems and the odd mistake. Grizzly Bear were really good too imo - very polished.

The location is extremely picturesque, Barcelona is cool and it's no hassle getting out to the venue. BUT:

- The layout of the stages left a lot to be desired. The ATP and Heineken stages were too close together and it was a shouting match of sorts between both;
    - The sound quality for some of the gigs was dreadful. Local Natives gave it their absolute all and it was like they were playing under water;
    - Schedule clashes seemed to abound on the Thursday and be absent on the Saturday. I felt it was very front loaded anyway, though I'd accept that is subjective and not objective. Anyone agree on that point?;

Overall good fun and I'd consider going back if the lineup was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 altrock

Enjoyed my first primavera as a newbie so I'm conscious I have nothing to compare to but I would go along with the comments on the sound which I found disappointing - the best sound IMO was tame impala and although they're not my thing, I really enjoyed good sound.
    Bizarre early morning scheduling and a cutting wind led me to miss many of my favourites.
    On the positives, I loved the completely international mix and the sense that I was at a music geek convention. Everyone loved their music and were so chilled, best bunch of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Highlights for me were Phoenix, Blur ( and the secret set by the Wedding Present on the little balcony before them), Grizzly Bear, The Breeders, Melody's Echo Chamber, Wu Tang Clan (what I saw of them), Tame Impala (great outdoor music).

Was a bit disappointed in the Bad Seeds set, too much off the new album, too many slow numbers.

Great festival overall, pity about the cold, tiredness and lack of suitable clothes led us to leave MBV early, glad of bed!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Neutral Milk Hotel 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Birneybau wrote: »
    Highlights for me were Phoenix, Blur ( and the secret set by the Wedding Present on the little balcony before them), Grizzly Bear, The Breeders, Melody's Echo Chamber, Wu Tang Clan (what I saw of them), Tame Impala (great outdoor music).

Was a bit disappointed in the Bad Seeds set, too much off the new album, too many slow numbers.

Great festival overall, pity about the cold, tiredness and lack of suitable clothes led us to leave MBV early, glad of bed!

Nick Caves new album is nothing short of brilliant though! I guess the Bad Seeds could be a victim of their own success with such an impressive discography of albums. Ya can't fit all that awesomeness into one show.

I thought Day One of the festival was one of the best days of music I've ever seen.

Grizzly Bear were outstanding, Phoenix were great craic and great tunes, Tame Impala and Animal Collective really delivered and other acts like Killer Mike also really impressed.

After that, Daughter, Goat and Nick Cave were the main stand outs for me but as the weekend went on I was definitely getting more and more tired...

5-6am finishes are a bit much for me these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dublinkeith

Have to agree about the sound which was pox poor but could've been due to that wind blowing around the venue. And they have to move ATP back to its original spot. Still can't used to that main stage site, in previous years I've enjoyed chilling on the grassy knoll in front of what's now the Primavera stage. Highlights were Bob Mould, Savages, JAMC and Blur, Merchandise were muck on the Friday but made up for it on the Sat aftn in the Parc de Ciutadella. Pity about the cold weather, at times I was getting Oxegen flashbacks ...

Did anyone manage to snare an early bird ticket for 2014?

Did anyone manage to snare an early bird ticket for 2014?

Yes, took a lot of refreshing but got there eventually. did you get some?

I was looking for pleb tickets but they were sold out everywhere so I left it, then got a tweet from Gabi saying some VIPs were still available so I managed to snag two. Never gone VIP before, what are the benefits? I can't be arsed sitting on special balconies but if there's cheaper drink I could make the money back.

• Advertisement

I was looking for pleb tickets but they were sold out everywhere so I left it, then got a tweet from Gabi saying some VIPs were still available so I managed to snag two. Never gone VIP before, what are the benefits? I can't be arsed sitting on special balconies but if there's cheaper drink I could make the money back.
    If your a beer drinker you'll make your money as small beers were €1 and large were €3.50, spirits were €1 cheaper. express entry to festival and priority for the auditorium are other benefits

The cheaper prices make it worthwhile then, didn't do the Auditorium the last few years and pleb queues were fast this year so I wouldn't see that as an advantage. Have you gone VIP yourself?

The cheaper prices make it worthwhile then, didn't do the Auditorium the last few years and pleb queues were fast this year so I wouldn't see that as an advantage. Have you gone VIP yourself?

I didnt go vip, you can wave at us from the vip area!!. They are getting better each year at managing the crowds.
    More tickets on sale at 11am next Monday.€250 for vip and €115 for regular tickets.

Christ, That's a big jump for the VIP tix. What did you think of it this year?

Christ, That's a big jump for the VIP tix. What did you think of it this year?

I enjoyed it this year, but like you missed the old atp stage location. It was great to be able to sit at the side and enjoy the music. There was a lot of sound leakage between the main stage and atp.
    Highlights for me were Bob Mould, melodys echo chamber, blur, four tet, grizzly bear, animal collective, Mount Eerie, guards.
    Only big downer was the cold, it was freezing there on the first few nights. No issues with the bar service as heineken meant low demand for beer

Heard a rumour that Shellac are playing next year ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The main feeling I came away with from Primavera having gone there this year for the first time was actually how great the Electric Picnic is in comparison!

I mean I had a great laugh, mainly due to hanging with my mates but Primavera is really all just about the music, didn't like the setting too much concrete, very few places to just sit and chill, very poor food options, very little interaction with random strangers or even people dressing up like weirdos.

For me, Nick Cave was the highlight thought it was a superb set hadn't expected to hear The Mercy Seat or Tupelo and thought he mixed in the new songs really well and livened them up from the album versions. Phoenix and Blur were also superb, enjoyed Tame Impala much more than I expected, loved Neko Case and the Saturday Night/Sunday Morning DJ in the amphitheatre which was the only time I really felt that the festival came together with everyone in the one place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

didn't like the setting too much concrete, very few places to just sit and chill, very poor food options, very little interaction with random strangers or even people dressing up like weirdos.

Couldn't agree with this less. Concrete means no mud and the setting beside the sea was great, mainly under that dome bit by the Heineken Stage. Plenty of banter there, and weirdos. And the auditorium style seating as well over looking the Rayban stage.
    Grand kebabs up by the entrance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've never done the picnic and longitude will be my first irish festival in years but I've always had great crack at the four or five primaveras and one pukkelpop ive been to with both irish and other nationalities that we've met up with. There's nothing like walking out of a festival and being beside the beach as the sun comes up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Is it today or tomorrow the next batch of tickets go on sale?

Edit : its today - got my ticket!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement