Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl (19) dies on 2 hour ambulance ride to hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

You dont wanna go that way, go on down past the cross road, take the road down to the right, keep going untill you see a patch of grass in the middle of the road, if you see that, you're on the right road, then take the turn after the field and you'll be back on the motorway !!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jesus that's awful, poor girl! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There is NO excuse for this in this day and age.

NONE.

Cue Luke Ming re closure of A&E in Roscommon (and he'd be right to kick up a major fuss over this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Luke Ming said this would happen, sad that it takes a death to highlight it. The Government need to hang their heads in shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Why would they go the indirect way? Its also ridiculous that the Roscommon A&E were closed, but from the article, the indirect way took 2 hours, whereas the direct way would have been 1 hour 20.
    And the ambulance then transported the young woman to Portiuncula, in Ballinasloe, before it was diverted to UCHG in Galway, adding an extra 30 minutes to the journey.
    Edit: That wouldn't have made any difference in the end, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

You dont wanna go that way, go on down past the cross road, take the road down to the right, keep going untill you see a patch of grass in the middle of the road, if you see that, you're on the right road, then take the turn after the field and you'll be back on the motorway !!

And this is supposed to be funny, how?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

vicwatson wrote: »
    There is NO excuse for this in this day and age.

NONE.

Not the excuses you want to hear, but there are, the country is broke due to mismanagement and greed and corruption at the highest level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Not the excuses you want to hear, but there are, the country is broke due to mismanagement and greed

if some politician gave me that excuse after my daughter died after a 2 hour journey when there was a perfectly good functioning hospital 15 minutes away, i'd strangle the bastard on the spot

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Edit: should have read the full article, as if that's a bar to expressing a trenchant opinion on AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It was only a matter of time when a scenario like this happened where an ambulance would be caught out on the back arse of nowhere roads in Roscommon and unable to get to Galway on time.

Even then, Roscommon hospital is only equipped to look after certain cases. Serious cases like this would involve transferring to Galway anyways, though they could have bought her more time.

Taking a direct route from the county to Galway, it's a nightmare getting through Tuam during heavy traffic. Complete bottleneck of a town.

chin_grin wrote: »
    And this is supposed to be funny, how?

Read the article ... they took advice on directions from a local, who in turn cost them 30 mins extra ...

What i'm not saying, which is pretty obvious, " it's clearly a travesty, and the closure of the hospital is a total disaster, but the crew clearly took responsibility for there actions.

OSI wrote: »
    Don't Ambulances have GPS?

it would have only cut the travel time by 30 minutes if they had of taken the right route, an hour and half to hospital is still too much!

davet82 wrote: »
    if some politician gave me that excuse after my daughter died after a 2 hour journey when there was a perfectly good functioning hospital 15 minutes away, i'd strangle the bastard on the spot

I don't think he'd hang himself in front of a grieving father

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

It's horrible for the young girl and the family that are left behind.
    But being honest an A&E service for Roscommon just weren't sustainable in the current economic climate. The only way of having more A&E deparments is the privatisation of the medical sector. We will then have people suffering because they can't afford to be taken to hospital.

A really horrible story to read though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

the country is broke due to mismanagement and greed and corruption at the highest level

Exactly.. a set of parents are mourning their baby girl today who might still be here if some greedy bastards hadn't lined their pockets with our futures.

Sickening..

RIP to the poor girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Read the article ... they took advice on directions from a local, who in turn cost them 30 mins extra ...

I know what forum we're in but...ok.
    What i'm not saying, which is pretty obvious, " it's clearly a travesty, and the closure of the hospital is a total disaster, but the crew clearly took responsibility for there actions.

Funnily enough we're not mind readers in AH! So if you included this in your original post it would have made a (tiny bit) more sense.

I don't think he'd hang himself in front of a grieving father

i'm sure that man will be looking for answer off somebody anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

God that's just awful. It's all well and good for them to insist she never would have survived the heart attack even if she was at the hospital, but that'll be small comfort to her poor family.

I just can't believe the ambulance didn't themselves know the best route to the nearest A&E, surely that's a pretty big part of their job..?

chin_grin wrote: »
    I know what forum we're in but...ok.

Funnily enough we're not mind readers in AH! So if you included this in your original post it would have made a (tiny bit) more sense.

This maybe AH, but come on even I'm not that low to make jokes about somebody's death !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Not the excuses you want to hear, but there are, the country is broke due to mismanagement and greed and corruption at the highest level

Which still does not justify nor excuse the tragic death of the child, due to the degradation of our health services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

davet82 wrote: »

Would she have survived if taken to Roscommon hospital?

RIP to the girl and no disrespect intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Shocking.

You would think a f*cking ambulance would have GPS fitted, especially since they've to travel from Roscommon to Galway in an emergency!

Or at least know the bloody route in this event.

RIP. Should never have happened.

hondasam wrote: »
    Would she have survived if taken to Roscommon hospital?

RIP to the girl and no disrespect intended.

We'll never know i guess

Which still does not justify nor excuse the tragic death of the child, due to the degradation of our health services.

No but it explains why it happened. If it's put to this government they'll just blame the previous one, the bullsh*t saga continues.

I don't get your effort at comedy. A 19 year old died. What planet do you live on?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Very very sad indeed. Rest In Peace to the young girl.

I wonder was the recent accident suffered by the new Air Ambulance a factor here? I'm not sure if that helicopter was replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Duggy747 wrote: »

Taking a direct route from the county to Galway, it's a nightmare getting through Tuam during heavy traffic. Complete bottleneck of a town.

I would imaging it was going no where near tuam on route to galway. Tuam is busy with the big dig but an ambulance would have no trouble getting through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I just can't believe the ambulance didn't themselves know the best route to the nearest A&E, surely that's a pretty big part of their job..?

I know right, surely once the A&E in Roscommon closed, the local ambulance force would have been briefed on transporting patients to the next nearest A&E and have transport plans in place so that the drivers knew where they were going.

I'm sick **** of the people running this country, how can they justify closing down an A&E department in a rural area yet they can allocate budgets for 10,000 silk ties and the likes?

Its time that all politicians copped the f*ck on and prioritised spending and telling us that their hands are tied and the money isn't there is pure and utter BS. There is always room for cuts in other areas which don't matter i.e. TD's christmas cards, silk ties, printing costs and more importantly SICK DAYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

True, but our goverment no longer has the power to make decisions about our health service. The are now puppets to people who care little about the people of this country once there is a profit being made.

Advertisement