Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl (19) dies on 2 hour ambulance ride to hospital

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

mikom wrote: »
    "Stick to the road lads, stay clear of the moors"

Have you actually got anything useful to contribute to this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Have you actually got anything useful to contribute to this thread?

Read back.
    Whether it ties in with your world view is up to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

while they are taking paid holidays..and cutting back vital services what if what if it was someone that did have a chance ,what then??

Oh I know, it's a terrible time delay.
    It's just that there is no simple solution, not every hospital can retain full A and E services. How then do you choose which have and have not services, there has been a similar debacle in many areas. If we don't want to pay for A and E in every hospital or ambulance stations to compensate then these incidents will sometimes occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭mediwheel

Read back.
    Whether it ties in with your world view is up to yourself.

So mikom, tell us about your experience with the NAS and what you have done about it ??

mediwheel wrote: »
    So mikom, tell us about your experience with the NAS and what you have done about it ??

Stopped throwing around the "gobshites" have you?

NAS.

Well I believe "Illmatic" released in 1994 was far superior to his follow up "It Was Written".
    Most of his later albums were forgettable outside of a couples songs to be honest.

Yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Those poor paramedics are run off their feet trying to do the best they can too. Really, you cant expect them to know your house/estate exactly despite them being from "the area". They're not 65 year old taxi drivers who have know every street name in the country and been driving them all their lives.
    I wouldnt even know half the estate names in my area and hardly even know who is who.

They obviously couldnt find your house, the directions werent good enough, and there is just not much more they can do.
    You make it sound as if they deliberately got lost and couldnt find your house. If it was that bad then you should have gone and flagged them down yourself.

In the end I think people just want someone or something to blame for lifes failings. Its a poor attitude to have, trust me I know people who blame the ambulance service for similar situations and its a terrible attitude to have.

Look im just sharing my experience that's all. I know paramedics do great work saving lives each day and I have great respect for them. But everyone involved in our situation thought it was handled very badly and even when they arrived it was quite unprofessional as we had my granny on the ground in the recovery position she was going through stages of shock and the paramedic just lifted her up without examining her. We asked to listen to the recordings from the calls but we were told we could only hear them if we went to court.

Stopped throwing around the "gobshites" have you?

NAS.

Well I believe "Illmatic" released in 1994 was far superior to his follow up "It Was Written".
    Most of his later albums were forgettable outside of a couples songs to be honest.

Yourself?

Well gob****e if it makes you feel better !

So tell us about your experiences with the ambulance service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kess73 wrote: »
    A 24 hour A&E in every town and city may not be feasible, but a minimum of one in each county could save lives.
    So the allocation of medical facilities should be done on a county colours basis and not based on population or need?
    aaofa2 wrote: »
    Why was this girl not brought to mullingar,surely that's closer than Galway.
    But would suitable doctors have been available in Mullingar?

Galway 72km http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Tonamaddy,+Roscommon+to+Galway+University+Hospital&saddr=Tonamaddy,+Roscommon&daddr=Galway+University+Hospital&hl=en&ll=53.523982,-8.42926&spn=0.837619,2.705383&sll=53.438173,-8.709412&sspn=0.419659,1.352692&geocode=FSf3MQMdymKA_ynhczXhcBdcSDF49aEkYp9WBw%3BFfXtLAMdr6h1_yGh-3gH5q_bsyldH3xO9pZbSDGh-3gH5q_bsw&t=m&z=9

Mullingar 79km http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Tonamaddy,+Roscommon&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=53.527248,-7.363586&spn=0.831024,2.705383&sll=53.527605,-7.363415&sspn=0.02597,0.084543&geocode=FSf3MQMdymKA_ynhczXhcBdcSDF49aEkYp9WBw%3BFQrbMAMd2NmP_w&mra=mrv&t=m&z=9
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Google maps tells me the Erne Hospital in Enniskillen is 60km away, far closer then Galway

And the Erne Hospital has 24 hour A&E cover

Just wondering do the HSE and NHS cooperate up there? Seemed a possible solution

Enniskillen 123km http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=from:+Tonamaddy,+Roscommon+to:+Erne+Hospital,+United+Kingdom&saddr=Tonamaddy,+Roscommon&daddr=Erne+Hospital,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=53.98032,-8.000793&spn=0.828569,2.705383&sll=53.978705,-7.998047&sspn=0.828601,2.705383&geocode=FSf3MQMdymKA_ynhczXhcBdcSDF49aEkYp9WBw%3BFfNgPQMdy3iL_ykD-wAmLkZeSDGDo-eW0712GQ&oq=from:+Tonamaddy,+Roscommon+to:+Erne+Hospital+&t=m&z=9
    The same type of experts that later claimed that in the case of blunt traumatic cardiac arrests that there is a 0% of survival at national level and International level?

Sorry for not accepting the word of experts that would release such a misleading blanket statement.
    In fairness, the exact problem probably wasn't know until autopsy.

Having at least one fully functioning and fully staffed A&E in each county would improve so many things that are wrong with this picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

cat_xx wrote: »
    Look im just sharing my experience that's all. I know paramedics do great work saving lives each day and I have great respect for them. But everyone involved in our situation thought it was handled very badly and even when they arrived it was quite unprofessional as we had my granny on the ground in the recovery position she was going through stages of shock and the paramedic just lifted her up without examining her. We asked to listen to the recordings from the calls but we were told we could only hear them if we went to court.

All the ones I've met were brillant. But to be fair, every profession has it's tossers.

So tell us about your experiences with the ambulance service ?

I pull in every so often to let them pass.
    Thankfully that is all the dealings I have had with them so far.

I'd like to see where you are going with this.
    I can tell you are wound up.......... and to be fair it concerns me a little regarding your ability to cope under stress.

Continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Of course it was traumatic for you seeing your granny in pain. I'm sure it could have been handled better but it wasn't.
    Re the calls no it's not possible to listen to them and I'm not sure if they can be played in court either but I'm sure someone will know.

hondasam wrote: »
    Of course it was traumatic for you seeing your granny in pain. I'm sure it could have been handled better but it wasn't.
    Re the calls no it's not possible to listen to them and I'm not sure if they can be played in court either but I'm sure someone will know.

Calls can be heard but only if the complaint is being taken to court. My friend works for 999 and this was the information she gave me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Victor wrote: »
    A
    So the allocation of medical facilities should be done on a county colours basis and not based on population or need?

I remember hearing once (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), that the reason Roscommon got a hospital before athlone was that the nuns in roscommon could provide the land but the ones in Athlone couldn't (r the other way round). That's how urban planning in ireland used to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

granny on the ground in the recovery position she was going through stages of shock and the paramedic just lifted her up without examining her.

Was she bleeding? No offence, but unless she was in hypovolaemic shock from blood loss, then the concept of classes/stages of shock is not really applicable. Unless of course she was having a heart attack, severe anaphylactic reaction, severe infection or spinal injury or something else? You don't have to give details. If you're referring to emotional shock, then placing something warm under her to roll her on to would have prevented her from lying on the cold ground for the duration of the wait.

We do know what we're doing, we do this day in, day out. However, most people with a first aid cert think that they know how to be a Paramedic (note: not an ambulance driver) these days. let me tell you as someone who came from a first aid background in the voluntaries - they don't. Not an iota.

Anyway, I wasn't there, so this is pointless. Not arguing with you, just trying to give people an insight into what it's like to be on the other side of the yellow van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Calls can be heard but only if the complaint is being taken to court. My friend works for 999 and this was the information she gave me.

I'm not sure but I though there was something about recorded calls cannot be used outside the work place or maybe the need the operator's permission.

coolmoose wrote: »
    Was she bleeding? No offence, but unless she was in hypovolaemic shock from blood loss, then the concept of stages of shock is not really applicable. If you're referring to emotional shock, then placing something warm under her to roll her on to would have prevented her from lying on the cold ground for the duration of the wait.

We do know what we're doing, we do this day in, day out. However, most people with a first aid cert think that they know how to be a Paramedic (note: not an ambulance driver) these days. let me tell you as someone who came from a first aid background in the voluntaries - they don't. Not an iota.

Anyway, I wasn't there, so this is pointless. Not arguing with you, just trying to give people an insight into what it's like to be on the other side of the yellow van.

Yes she was bleeding from a massive cut on her head. We were lucky enough that a nurse happened to be driving by and stopped to help us. It wasnt a life or death situation at the time but if it was I don't think she would be with us now.

Yes she was bleeding from a massive cut on her head. We were lucky enough that a nurse happened to be driving by and stopped to help us. It wasnt a life or death situation at the time but if it was I don't think she would be with us now.

That's fair enough, thanks for that info. Well then you have a legitimate grievance, however, I can assure you that crews do not hang around, take their time or deliberately get lost. Mistakes do happen though. Glad to hear she is ok now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Heh, dont get me started on that. Volunteering is great and I do it myself (EFR). But you do come across some walter mitties who think they're the bee's knee's and those who dont have a notion of how to use a triangular bandage. Kinda cringeworthy but thats for another thread me thinks :pac:

Although saying that there are a handfull of very good ones too (at what they're trained to do)

I pull in every so often to let them pass.
    Thankfully that is all the dealings I have had with them so far.

I'd like to see where you are going with this.
    I can tell you are wound up.......... and to be fair it concerns me a little regarding your ability to cope under stress.

Continue.

What sort of car do you drive ??

That's fair enough, thanks for that info. Well then you have a legitimate grievance, however, I can assure you that crews do not hang around, take their time or deliberately get lost. Mistakes do happen though. Glad to hear she is ok now.

She's not she never recovered and ended up having emergency brain surgery in beaumont 3 days later to reduce swelling on her brain and to remove blood clots. She is a different person now. It's a sad ending

• Advertisement

What sort of car do you drive ??

And the point of this is........?

donaghs wrote: »
    What's the point of a hospital in Roscommon if it has no A&E?
    You do realise that more goes on in hospitals than A&E. Should we close the maternity and cancer wards?
    deccurley wrote: »
    Its a disgrace that such a large area has to go without a primary care unit in a developed country in this day and age.
    Do you know what 'primary care' means?
    laylah wrote: »
    This is a fúcking disgrace.

As of October 2010, the total cost of the electronic voting project reached €54.6 million, including €3 million spent on storing the machines over the previous five years.

I just don't understand how they show up at work everyday -yunno like this is your JOB, you get paid a fortune to run the country, it's your responsibility, it is a MASSIVE REPONSABILITY!

Repeat after me- P.R.I.O.R.I.T.I.E.S. The health and welfare of the Nation is more important than new voting machines. Even if Bertie didn't want us to use ''stupid old pencils" anymore.

My thoughts are with her family and the Paramedics that tried their best to keep her going.

You do realise that there has been a change of government and that Fine Gael had qualms about electronic voting.
    The ambulance service is to blame here too. Last november we needed the assistance of an ambulance for my granny who had fallen while out on a walk. It was strangers who found her and called for an ambulance and were told that ambulance was 15 minutes away. She was walking in a well known park aswel in the Roscommon area. I took the ambulance 1hour and 40 mins to get to her because they couldnt find her.It was a passer by who happened to drive by and tell us there was an ambulance driving around the main park looking for us and it was two people locals to the area who were driving the ambulance. By this stage a person who knew my granny had called up to our house to let us know what was going on. She was on the cold tarmac for an hour and 40 min before the ambulance actually arrived. I hope I never need the assistance of an ambulance again as that experience was truely awful!

So you blame the ambulance service because they were given dud information?
    cocoshovel wrote: »
    Even in Kilkenny city(town, whatever call it), it took 30 minutes for the ambulance to reach a certain house. Despite the ambulance station being less than 2km away and a hospital in the town so you never know.
    Do you honestly think ambulances sit around waiting for things to happen? There may have been more serious matters to deal with.
    Im just glad I dont live in a county with no hospitals or ambulance station, where you're talking 1-2 hours for an ambulance to get to you alone.
    Again the fascination with counties. Shankill to Balbriggan (Dublin) is 68km. Drogheda to Carrickdale (Louth) is 53km. Ballaghboy to Carrigane (Cork) is 199km. Would you provide each with the same level of service?

She's not she never recovered and ended up having emergency brain surgery in beaumont 3 days later to reduce swelling on her brain and to remove blood clots. She is a different person now. It's a sad ending

Sorry to hear that. Like I said, I'm just trying to give you the other side of the story, I accept that your case may well be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can't really close these A&Es without putting in a viable air ambulance service linking remote places to hubs like Galway, Dublin and Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Solair wrote: »
    You can't really close these A&Es without putting in a viable air ambulance service linking remote places to hubs like Galway, Dublin and Cork.

Try telling that to the politicians and big shots. :rolleyes:

And the point of this is........?

Was wondering if your a fat gob****e in a small car ! Or a small gob****e in a big car ! A go-wan tell us the color even ?

Was wondering if your a fat gob****e in a small car ! Or a small gob****e in a big car ! A go-wan tell us the color even ?

Well, I'll let you in on a little secret....... Your card colour is about to turn from yellow to red shortly.

I hope you keep your calm a lot better when you are dealing with the public.
    Well i have worked as a paramedic for 12yrs and regardless of AMPDS codes and the 112/999 system its ultimately the driver of the ambulance that decides how to respond to a call, after all its my licence not anyone else !

Worrying.

Well, I'll let you in on a little secret....... Your card colour is about to turn from yellow to red shortly.

I hope you keep your calm a lot better when you are dealing with the public.

Worrying.

What's worrying about that it's 100% true ! So tell me about the little car you pull off to the side in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I thought they did put an emergency chopper service in place for rural areas?
    I once witnessed the Coast Guard doing an emergency air lift .... boy, but those guys are impressive, unbelieveable turn around time.

• Advertisement

And what service are you going to cut for this?

Advertisement