Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delay

Options
  • 19-07-2012 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Just a quick query!

A while back, a BOI ATM swallowed my card, while I was withdrawing my rent money of over €200. I didn't get the money.

Being an AIB customer I was hugely pleased with the service and help they gave me when I asked for help in the branch after being pawned off on them by BOI.

So here we are, 15 days later, and I still don't have my money. What's the deal BOI? Why do I have to wait so long for MY money, when the problem was not even my fault?

It's lucky I had someone to borrow my rent money from!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi lila44,

Sorry you've had a bad experience. Normally when a user doesn't receive funds from an ATM withdrawal this is rectified when the ATM balances. Once this happens the ATM realises there was a problem and the funds are normally credited back to the account after one working day. If the funds aren't refunded back to the account after 3 working days you would need to get in touch with your own bank to investigate.

You mentioned that you were already in contact with AIB in relation to this. You will need to get back in touch with them and let them know that you still haven't received the funds back into your account and they will be able to investigate for you.

I hope this helps.

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

I know someone working in AIB and he said BOI have a 10 day turn around for ATM queries, is this true?

Hi,

When a Bank of Ireland customer needs to initiate an ATM query from our side, (e.g. A BOI customer doesn't receive their withdrawal from another bank's ATM) we would advise them that the query can take up to ten working days to resolve once they have notified us of the issue.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to advise of the timeframes involved in your case as the query would be handled by your bank. You'll need to check with AIB as to how long it can take for their ATM query process.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

Ok so...

Just making sure I have this straight...

A BOI ATM swallows my card, yet it's AIBs responsibility?

Hi lila44,

The card being withheld by the machine and you not receiving the cash you were trying to withdraw, while possibly being related, would be classed and dealt with as two separate issues.

The card being kept by the machine can occur for various reasons. It may be because of a fault in the machine itself, at the request of the user's bank or down to the actions of the user.

Since swallowed cards are not kept intact and are destroyed in the machine, we can't return the card that was retained. When this happens the card holder would have to contact their own bank to order a replacement as one bank can't issue a debit/ATM card for another bank. This is the same for a BOI customer's card being kept by another bank's ATM or vice versa.

In relation to funds not being received by the user, this can be down to a machine fault or the card holder not removing the funds from the machine in a reasonable amount of time. As a security measure, if the cash is not collected by the ATM user, the money is automatically recalled back into the machine.

As mentioned above:
    Normally when a user doesn't receive funds from an ATM withdrawal this is rectified when the ATM balances. Once this happens the ATM realises there was a problem and the funds are normally credited back to the account after one working day.

From time to time this doesn't work out as it should. In these cases the customer would have to contact their own bank as there are procedures in place to allow one bank to query ATM transactions with another bank. Since account specific information is needed for this process, it is necessary that it is instigated by the card holder's account holding bank.

So where cards are retained or when cash is not received by the user, the user would need to contact their own bank regardless of whether it was the ATM or the customer who was at fault.

I hope this clarifies things.

Thanks again
    Pat

• Advertisement
Advertisement