Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ledley King retires.

• 19-07-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭

Already posted on the Spurs forum, thought it deserved a post here as well.

http://m.tottenhamhotspur.com/mobile/News/news-article.page?ref=ledley-announcement

LEDLEY CALLS TIME, BUT IT'S FAR FROM GOODBYE
    Posted 19 July 2012 11:00am

Notable high points came with the lifting of the Carling Cup in 2008 after victory over Chelsea at Wembley, with Ledley steering the team to Champions League qualification for the first time in our history in season 2009-10.

His performances for the Club were recognised on the international front and he made his England debut against Italy in March 2002. Ledley won 21 international caps in total and appeared in both the 2004 European Championships and the 2010 World Cup.

"Ledley has made a magnificent contribution to this Club - as a wonderful player, Captain and ambassador," said Chairman Daniel Levy. "It has been well documented how he has battled against injury over the years and it is testament to the character of the man how he managed to sustain such high standards of performance on the pitch, while providing such fine leadership.

"It is in an ambassadorial capacity that Ledley will continue, playing a crucial role in supporting the Club's work in the community and the ongoing regeneration of the Tottenham area, whilst also being a hugely positive role model for our younger players.

“I have been here since I was a boy, I have always considered it my Club and have always found it hard to imagine wearing the shirt of another team," reflected Ledley.

“I know that being a one-club man is a rarity these days, but I have always enjoyed being part of the set-up here and the challenge of putting this Club up with the elite where it should be.

“I would like to say thank you to everyone at the Club and to the fans. I have missed a lot of football over the years, but the Spurs fans have always been patient and incredibly supportive with me during difficult periods. Sadly my injuries and inability to train have now finally brought an end to my career.”

"I have been in Tottenham for around 17 years, having started at Spurs when I was 14. It is a second home for me and I pleased that I can continue to work within the Club and for the local community, especially after the devastation caused by the riots last year. I am already heavily involved with the work of Spurs Foundation and the new stadium scheme will be a major factor in the regeneration of the area, so I am delighted that I shall be part of that.'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Really sad to see him retire a great player and servant to the club just wish he didn't have to sacrafice his knees for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Had the potential to be one of the best centre backs in the league. Pity he couldn't do it on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

My favourite Tottenham player by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Cant be that much of a surprise. Brilliant player, didnt seem to do anything out of order either, lotta respect for the lad (partially because i've gammy knees too).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Class act. Sad to see him forced out by injury, even as a Chelsea fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

To be honest, that he lasted as long as he did playing to such a high level is a testament to how good of an athlete he was - and how driven he was generally. Fantastic player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

geeky wrote: »
    Class act. Sad to see him forced out by injury, even as a Chelsea fan.

Same here .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Injuries really hampered him, but he the ability to be one of the best CB's around when he was on his game, sadly those days werent reguarly seen by all fans.

Watching Premiership years the other day and he was coming on as a promising 17 year old for Spurs, really unfortunate for the guy, is he going into coaching, trying to get his badges and all that?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Genuinely feel sorry for him. As has been said already, had the ability to be onethe best CB's in the league if not one of the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

What a shame - Only 31 - Was a classy defender, and as others have said - If he hadn't got the knee problems, he would have been regarded as one of the best in the world.
    Also definitely would have had more than the amount of English caps he won. Don't know the exact figure, but it couldn't be any more than 30 or 35.

Edit - Just read the OP properly - 21 international caps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Ledley King is so injury prone he would get an injury going to tescos and sure he would have too retire from doing his weekly shopping then, his missus will be gutted.:D.

Still tho he was a good honest player its a pity it didnt work out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Very good defender, among the best in the league. It is just amazing that he just turned up for matches without any training. Shame about his injuries though, would have played for England many more times if not for injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I remember reading Paul McGrath's bio and, iirc, he only trained two or three days a week and even then it was some specially designed regime that didn't involve much physical. It's amazing he lasted as long as he did, especially at the level he was playing.

Feel really sorry for Ledley. He's one of those footballers that noone has a bad word to say about. I thought he was a really good defender too. I remember him scoring that goal against Bradford after ten seconds or something. Crazy to think that's almost twelve years ago.

At least, for his sake, he can hold his head high that he went out at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Sad news, quality centre back who made it all look so effortless. You only need to look at Spurs' win rate with and without him over the last few seasons to see how important he was to the club. Thought Engerland looked far more assured during his brief spell as a defensive midfielder for the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

After 268 Premier League appearances as a defender, he only received 8 yellow cards - really shows the class he had as a player.

Advertisement