Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 305 (w/HRM) Versus Nike+ SportWatch GPS (powered by TomTom)

Options
  • 19-07-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,
    So far, I have been a loyal supporter of my Garmin. It's a solid device that has not let me down. It is quick to pick up satellites and it has a super battery too.
    My only flaw is that its design is rather bulky and slightly dated. As of late, my attention has been drawn to the Nike+ Sportswatch. It's a stylish looking piece of kit and what's more, it looks like a device that you could double as an actual watch.
    My question is: would I be foolish to abandon my Garmin? Does anyone know what the battery life is like on the NIke? Also, how about its temper in picking up satellites?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I too have a 305, I wear it for running,
    I have regular watches which I wear all other times. Simples;)
    ( I also see in the specs that batt life is 3 hrs with typical use)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Take yourself over to here and read DC Rainmaker's review. It's pitched at the 'new to running' level, so won't have the same level of functionality as your 305.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Thanks for the replies. @Krusty: that review is quite beefy. Thanks. It was very helpful. My mind is not made up yet. To be honest, I don't use my 305 to its potential at all due to a combination of laziness and even more laziness. The easy-to-use look of the Nike watch (plus the fact it looks snazzy) may influence my decision.

Why not just buy yourself a snazzy looking watch, and keep the 305 for running?
    Having said that, there seems to be a decent second hand market on this forum for used Forerunners (with prices that seem a little on the high side to me!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

there seems to be a decent second hand market on this forum for used Forerunners (with prices that seem a little on the high side to me!).
    Optimistic might be a better word :D

Back on topic;
    A buddy at work got one of the nike watches, it actually fell apart on him, the screen looked like it shattered without being dropped, like the cells in the screen ruptured.
    He also found the website was buggy, but it was soon after launch.
    He sent it back and got a 305 instead.

I've had a 305 for about 3 years and it only went on the blink lately, I repaired it myself (corroded contacts, replaced with soldered wire connection). It's working but I just picked up a 2nd hand 310xt on here just in case it calves again.

• Advertisement

b.harte wrote: »
    Optimistic might be a better word :D
    I think you got a good deal. Prices on the 305s and 405s seem a little fruity!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dsenna

macgrub wrote: »
    Hi all,
    So far, I have been a loyal supporter of my Garmin. It's a solid device that has not let me down. It is quick to pick up satellites and it has a super battery too.
    My only flaw is that its design is rather bulky and slightly dated. As of late, my attention has been drawn to the Nike+ Sportswatch. It's a stylish looking piece of kit and what's more, it looks like a device that you could double as an actual watch.
    My question is: would I be foolish to abandon my Garmin? Does anyone know what the battery life is like on the NIke? Also, how about its temper in picking up satellites?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    I have the Nike GPS for about a year now, I find it very good, picks up signal very quickly and I have used it in Spain,Germany and Scotland as well as here,very easy to use ,one button to toggle between different screens, Dublin marathon last year for me was 4hr 40 and I still had plenty of battery left.Connects very easily with the updated Nike+ site where you can log all your runs, update satalite positions and charge the watch all very quickly and easily. I would recomment it

garmin 210 if u want normal-looking watch with 2 week battery life with gps turned off.

garmin-210-without-HRM.jpeg

Advertisement