Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 year sentence for 16 rapes and 9 sexual assaults

• 19-07-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

This is one of those cases where I think the judge deserves to join the scumbag in prison. The sentence is an insult to the victim and all other victims of rape.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0719/man-sentenced-over-sexual-assault-of-teenage-girl.html
    A 34-year old man who sexually assaulted a teenage girl who was working for him has been sentenced to nine years in jail at the Central Criminal Court.
    Three years of the sentence was suspended.
    Chun Ming Chen of Oakfield Close, Glanmire, Co Cork, had pleaded guilty to 16 counts of intercourse with the girl and nine counts of sexual assault.
    Chen, who is also known as Jimmy, runs Ming's Chinese restaurant at Glanmire in County Cork. The Central Criminal Court was told he began sexually assaulting the girl in late 2007 when she was just 14 after she took a part-time job with him.
    The assaults went on for almost three years and got progressively more serious, until the girl eventually told her mother and made a complaint to gardaí.
    Chun Ming Chen was arrested and charged and in May he pleaded guilty to 16 counts of intercourse with the girl and nine counts of sexual assault.
    Sergeant Ciara Lee, who investigated the case, said the sample charges related toincidents that happened every weekend or every second weekend, while the teenager was helping Chen deliver food or when he drove her home.
    The girl said in her victim impact statement Chen had taken her teenage years from her and she didn't know how to stop what was happening.
    Judge Patrick McCarthy sentenced Chun Ming Chen to a total of nine years in jail, suspending three years of the sentence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

This is one of those cases where I think the judge deserves to join the scumbag in prison. The sentence is an insult to the victim and all other victims of rape.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0719/man-sentenced-over-sexual-assault-of-teenage-girl.html
    DPP has to appeal that one.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

In bizzaro world, he should be boxed up and shipped back home after his time in prison.
    Judge Patrick McCarthy sentenced Chun Ming Chen to a total of nine years in jail, suspending three years of the sentence.

So just 6 years in prison then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

And people give out about Mauritius

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Lock him up and throw away the key.

For the cops who do give a crap it must be after working on cases like this and seeing this outcome that really tests their character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Send him to Australia and give him a job keeping Great Whites away from the coast and arm him with a spoon.

Hate reading these stories & seeing the culprit getting a lenient sentence:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

send him home and let the chinese tax payers pay for his keep in prison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Jesus that's an insult to the victim. At 14 she was pretty much still just a child. Sicko, he should defo be shipped off home when he gets out. One would wonder if he has a similar record back home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Welcome to Ireland.

I knew a girl that got raped.
    Not enough "evidence" (apart from the clear fúcking medical evidence and the fact the man was laughing about it).

Can't blame the girl in the OP, she was probably scared outta her wits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Duggy747 wrote: »
    In bizzaro world, he should be boxed up and shipped back home after his time in prison.

Even less. Nobody ever serves their full sentence. He'll probably be out in 3-3.5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

You must ask yourself, how many years will it take this girl who was brutally raped and assaulted by this animal to deal with what happened and try and keep her life together.

6 years...

Time to take a good, long look at the judicial system in this country if a Judge is only giving 6 years in Jail for something as brutal as this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Welcome to Ireland.

Not enough "evidence" (apart from the clear fúcking medical evidence and the fact the man was laughing about it).

:( Happens too often.
    Horrible!

That's bloody horrific.

I genuinely wonder if there's still a bit of a Catholic "ah sure she deserved what she got" mentality in our justice system when stuff like that happens. Would honestly make you despair for humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

That's bloody horrific.

I genuinely wonder if there's still a bit of a Catholic "ah sure she deserved what she got" mentality in our justice system when stuff like that happens. Would honestly make you despair for humanity.

I dunno the exact scenario but she said (the girl) it probably was to do with him being from a poor background or being on drugs or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

You have to wonder how a judge like this can live with themselves, this predator has do e irreversible damage to this girl and her life and he will be doing a stretch which a fella recently got for avoiding paying taxes on garlic. What a insult to the victim :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

One would wonder if he has a similar record back home?

Possibly. Not like we bother checking (although I would imagine in China you would probably be looking at a bit of a longer sentence)

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/07/16/man-broke-into-womans-home-and-raped-her-in-daughters-bedroom/

"The judge also ordered him to stay away from the victim and undergo 18 months post-release supervision if he stays in Ireland on his release."

Un b fcuking lieveable. While the EU do have us by the balls I am fairly sure there is some clause that allows us to deport EU citizens sentenced to more than 3 years or something? Even Britain, despite our hisory of free movement, has occasionally deported/ banned Irish people from entry for persistent offending. Even without that I have seen a few cases whereby the last few years of a sentence are suspended on condition of permanently leaving Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

We don't know the severity of the incidents so it's a bit rash to call the judge a disgrace. 6 years is certainly not a trivial sentence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

We don't know the severity of the incidents so it's a bit rash to call the judge a disgrace. 6 years is certainly not a trivial sentence though.

We don't know the severity of the incidents!?

Raped sixteen times and sexually assaulted nine times sounds pretty damn severe to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

No, Have you ever heard of Remission ?, Divide 6yrs by 4 and multiply by 3 and that's the time he will do, He will probably get Temporary Release before that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Judges tend to argue that they're bound by precedent when it comes to sentencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I really hope this guy becomes some's bitch while he's locked up... someone with a massive cock at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Try 6 years and 2 off for "good behaviour" = 4 years :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Someone should ring Dexter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Same sentence for smuggling garlic,

eh yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Send him to Texas, one injection and it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaxxy wrote: »

Raped sixteen times and sexually assaulted nine times sounds pretty damn severe to me.
    I think what he means is that there is an obvious difference between statutory rape where he had sexual contact with an underage girl that many times, and violent rape where he may have used physical force against her or beaten her.

The sentence is a joke either way - he could have been the nicest guy in the world, but the girl clearly didn't want it to be happening. However in all cases the severity of the act has to be taken into account. I don't think anyone would disagree that there's a world of difference between a "consensual" sexual act with a minor and a violent rape of a minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

seamus wrote: »

I think what he means is that there is an obvious difference between statutory rape where he had sexual contact with an underage girl that many times, and violent rape where he may have used physical force against her or beaten her.

The sentence is a joke either way - he could have been the nicest guy in the world, but the girl clearly didn't want it to be happening. However in all cases the severity of the act has to be taken into account. I don't think anyone would disagree that there's a world of difference between a "consensual" sexual act with a minor and a violent rape of a minor.

The act of rape itself is violent and severe, the rapist doesn't have to beat their victim to make it so.

I see your point seamus I really do but I'm pretty disgusted by the lenient sentence and the implication from the poster I quoted above that such an experience mightn't be all that severe for the girl, and that six years is plenty for such a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Judges tend to argue that they're bound by precedent when it comes to sentencing.

He's not though. He could sentence the offender to life if he wished, he obviously just doesn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Guy gets six years for fiddling the customs on garlic.

Guy gets six years for one of the most brutal crimes of all.

What a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

smash wrote: »
    I really hope this guy becomes some's bitch while he's locked up... someone with a massive cock at that!

Hopefully he likes to antagonise the guard dogs and gets the one that has a fondness for scrotums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

A guy that went to school while I was there got ten years recently. -2 years that he's already been in custody. -3 again suspended if he doesn't approach the victim. What the hell is that about. 5 years.
    He beat the living fcuk out of a girl who was on her way home from a night out in Galway and raped her. She needed reconstructive surgery. He's the son of a councillor. 5 years. The lad is a **** eating ape too. A cheeky prick.
    I was genuinely shocked he didn't get a full sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Welcome to Ireland.

I dunno the exact scenario but she said (the girl) it probably was to do with him being from a poor background or being on drugs or something like that.

Being on drugs or being from a poor background are usually the reasons for lenient sentencing, not for failure to prosecute in the first place or not guilty verdicts plus you even said there was a lack of evidence. Tbh I'm all for not convicting people of crimes there is no evidence they committed.

Agree 100%, what do you have to do to get a serious sentence with regards to sexual assault/rape in this country?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Madness, pure madness.
    If that was China I suspect the person would be pulled to the ground and a bullet put into the back of their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I always find it weird on boards that people condemn a rapist and then condone him being raped himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Guy gets six years for fiddling the customs on garlic.

Guy gets six years for one of the most brutal crimes of all.

What a country.

You would actually get a higher sentence for dealing in Cannabis ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Who selects our judges? The benches are full of absolute morons in this country.

Concurrent Sentencing

Suspended Sentencing

Revolving Door Prisons

Two of these problems are within the judges powers to address, the other is out of their control but could be mitigated by longer sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I always find it weird on boards that people condemn a rapist and then condone him being raped himself.

Surely if you think the crime is that bad you would want it eliminated from society completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

If he is the owner of that business they should also revoke any permissions to operate and close him down. Last thing he deserves is to still be making money in prison, scumbag.

It's news like this that really tests your faith in humanity - sometimes I wonder why I bother clicking into these threads.

This incident will be with the poor girl for the rest of her life while your man does a max 6 years inside. I hope he gets whats coming to him.

I hope the girl doesn't suffer anymore than she has so far, thats enough to last a lifetime and she's only still beginning hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

charlemont wrote: »
    You would actually get a higher sentence for dealing in Cannabis ...
    True, to an extent. I saw someone get sentenced to 3 years for it, reduced from 10 but I forget why.

This is why I hate this country sometimes. How can anyone think that is an acceptable sentence...I dont know how those judges sleep at night. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

I've seen a few "Send him home" type answers. To be honest, if that happened over here, and the guy had a few quid or some guanxi (pull) or friends in high places, he'd get off scott free, or maybe just pay off the family a few hundred to a thousand euros to keep their mouths shut.

He's received justice where he is. Be thankful for that. It won't repair the damage that girl's suffered, not even a fraction of it, but we can hope that the offender runs into some 'coke-can cock' type guy in the 'Joy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

I don't particularly want cannabis legalised, but I don't see the sense of filling prisons up to the point that they're so overcrowded that locking someone like this up for a reasonable sentence becomes a real problem.

So it disgusts me whenever I see people both bemoan sentences like this and demand drug laws be harder. They're condemning the judicial system and politicians and lack of funding for new prisons, but they're the one's who won't make reasonable compromises and sacrifices to target violent crime, simply because they thing cannabis and stoners are immoral.

But who needs progress so long as it'll keep Joe Duffy in callers voicing what a disgrace it all is, right?

What goes around, comes around. It would be nice to put him in the same position as his victim for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

What goes around, comes around. It would be nice to put him in the same position as his victim for a while.

I agree, if he is willing to do that to someone then I'd have no problem for him to see what it is like firsthand

Brokentime wrote: »
    I've seen a few "Send him home" type answers. To be honest, if that happened over here, and the guy had a few quid or some guanxi (pull) or friends in high places, he'd get off scott free, or maybe just pay off the family a few hundred to a thousand euros to keep their mouths shut.

He's received justice where he is. Be thankful for that. It won't repair the damage that girl's suffered, not even a fraction of it, but we can hope that the offender runs into some 'coke-can cock' type guy in the 'Joy...

I mean send him home after he's served is his sentence- as in , deport him not extradite him.

I don't think its nice to arrange for anyone to be raped. Based on what you've written I think you're a sadist at heart and you don't give much thought to what ideas like "justice" and "rehabilitation" mean, or why society values them.

a5y wrote: »
    I don't think its nice to arrange for anyone to be raped. Based on what you've written I think you're a sadist at heart and you don't give much thought to what ideas like "justice" and "rehabilitation" mean, or why society values them.
    Do you think the fact that he'll be out in around 3 years is justice? Or that he'll be rehabilitated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

With these sentences following precedent they will only get lighter and lighter. We need to press the reset button on the justice system. Imagine what sort of sentences we will have in 30-40 years time if we continue like this.

Do you think the fact that he'll be out in around 3 years is justice? Or that he'll be rehabilitated?

I think that justice is something to be pursed, not something we can ever claim to have achieved.

I also think that sticking him in front of a jury of his peers is a better strategy than ensuring that an act that should never happen to begin with happens to him.

But to answer your loaded questions, no, I don't think having him out on the streets is just, or that he'll be rehabilitated.

Congratulations. Even though you feel comfortable with rape becoming part of the justice system, you have today won an argument on the internet. Tell your mum, doubtless she'll be proud of you, champ.

With these sentences following precedent they will only get lighter and lighter.

Actually precedent is only one component in determining the length of a sentence, so that's a considerable oversimplification.
    We need to press the reset button on the justice system.

That's the most elegant way of suggesting a return to institutionalised dehumanising violence I've ever heard. Seriously, Bahrain are looking for people with your particular moral flexibility who are fluent in English for PR positions. Look them up, you could make a killing.
    Imagine what sort of sentences we will have in 30-40 years time if we continue like this.

Wow, I'm actually visualising a steadily declining graph based off your over simplifications.

Seriously, you should make the most of it and start networking with human rights abusers and third world regimes. What with the economy shrinking public sector wages you'll only wither on the vine here :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement