Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 year sentence for 16 rapes and 9 sexual assaults

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

a5y wrote: »
    But to answer your loaded questions, no, I don't think having him out on the streets is just, or that he'll be rehabilitated.

Congratulations. Even though you feel comfortable with rape becoming part of the justice system, you have today won an argument on the internet. Tell your mum, doubtless she'll be proud of you, champ.

Awww does someone need a hug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Shorter sentence than Adam Clayton's assistant got as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And you can bet that somewhere in Ireland at this very moment the victim of a rape is deciding whether it's worth reporting to the guards what happened to them the previous night........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

smash wrote: »
    Awww does someone need a hug?

You're trying awful hard to appear awfully apathetic. Did making you consider what your mum would think of you actually work?

You big sissy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Duggy747 wrote: »
    In bizzaro world, he should be boxed up and shipped back home after his time in prison.

So just 6 years in prison then.

Nah, probably 3 years if he's "good", and he'll be let out for christmas of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

The bastard should have been buried alive with air being pumped into his box

a5y wrote: »
    You're trying awful hard to appear awfully apathetic. Did making you consider what your mum would think of you actually work?

You big sissy.
    You're very strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Do you think the fact that he'll be out in around 3 years is justice? Or that he'll be rehabilitated?

Just because his sentence is too lenient it doesn't automatically justify hoping he gets raped. If someone did rape him in prison should they not be prosecuted if caught?

mackg wrote: »
    Do you think the fact that he'll be out in around 3 years is justice? Or that he'll be rehabilitated?

Just because his sentence is too lenient it doesn't automatically justify hoping he gets raped. If someone did rape him in prison should they not be prosecuted if caught?
    They should. But at least they'd have thought him a lesson first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I'm actually not surprised by this, sad really but you see these dumb decisions every week. You wonder..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Biggins wrote: »
    Madness, pure madness.
    If that was China I suspect the person would be pulled to the ground and a bullet put into the back of their head.

If we were in China Boards would be censored, women would have forced abortions and any number of posters on this thread could be locked up for criticising the government.

I'm thankful we don't live in China.
    What goes around, comes around. It would be nice to put him in the same position as his victim for a while.

Would it? What would it achieve? Would it make him a better person? Less likely to reoffend?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Madness, pure madness.
    If that was China I suspect the person would be pulled to the ground and a bullet put into the back of their head.

And in China they harvest the organs of those sentenced to death and give them to those in need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Piste wrote: »

Would it? What would it achieve? Would it make him a better person? Less likely to reoffend?

Exactly.

And how would it make us better as a society for condoning it?

It would achieve absolutely nothing, and its nothing short of shameful for any society not to lead by example.

You don't stop rape with rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Bring in chemical castration for the rapists.

Nothing to add, too angry. It's a conveyer belt of stories like this coming out of our system, embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've been thinking about this for the last while now..what sentence would I be satisfied with?

One one hand, a long sentence gives the victim a sense of justice, which would I hope give some comfort.
    On the other hand, the tax payer would have to pay even more to keep this scum fed/clothed/detained etc. Long sentences are expensive for the state.

So, the only thing I can think of is short, but much harsher punishment. Hard labour...preferably manufacturing something that can be sold to help pay towards prison costs & towards a fund for the victim(s).

6 years sentence, working 10 hours a day in manual labour, with the proceeds going to both the victim and the prison. No TV/computers/entertainment. And a requirement to complete a sex offenders treatment program satisfactorily before being eligible for release.

Would this be better?

• Advertisement

Giselle wrote: »

You don't stop rape with rape.

Exactly.....Only rap can stop rape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

HazDanz wrote: »
    Bring in chemical castration for the rapists.

Nothing to add, too angry. It's a conveyer belt of stories like this coming out of our system, embarrassing.

Is there evidence that chemical castration decreases attacks? I mean I'm sure it decreases rapes if men physically can't get it up, but do they attack others in different ways still?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Piste wrote: »
    Is there evidence that chemical castration decreases attacks? I mean I'm sure it decreases rapes if men physically can't get it up, but do they attack others in different ways still?

I'd be very interested to see if other assaults rose as a result of chem. castration. I'd always assumed it would increase passivity, but its only that, an assumption. I think its been an option for several years in certain US states, although I've never come across any studies on the long term outcomes.

I'd have a moral objection to altering another persons physical state. Unless the convict agreed to it, it shouldn't be mandatory under any circumstances or else we might as well live in China. No matter what the crime, a human being has a right to bodily integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Our legal system needs to be uttery changed, get rid of the archaic English system of precedent etc we have, one in which judges have far too much power and adopt a civil legal system based on the napolionic code or similar.

Theres a reason why most of the first world have that system.

Our legal system needs to be uttery changed, get rid of the archaic English system of precedent etc we have, one in which judges have far too much power and adopt a civil legal system based on the napolionic code or similar.

Theres a reason why most of the first world have that system.

They were French colonies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 PheonixLin

there is a difference between statitory rape,violent rape and defilement the courts dont use different names just for the fun of it...I know a fair few guys who could be up for defilement depending on what the girl decides after its happened....not everyone who gets sent to prison for a crime of a sexual nature is a kiddy loving pedo....there are 2sides to stories I happen to know both of this one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

People here who know anything more than the report about the case .01%

On the bandwagon 99%.

Joke yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

mikom wrote: »
    They were French colonies?
    In some cases but also because the system is superior.

Of course there would be major resistance from legal heads, but thats to be expected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country_legal_systems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

In his own country he would have been executed.In Nevada assault of a sexual nature on a minor carries a mandatory life sentence without parole,you die in jail.In Thailand he would have gotten between 30-45 year's.Irish judge's live in an ivory tower and are so out of touch with reality it can be shocking, as in this case.Ireland should adopt the American system where judge's have to be elected every year.Ireland use's the political appointee system for judge's and this is the outcome.

Jay D wrote: »
    People here who know anything more than the report about the case .01%

On the bandwagon 99%.

Joke yourselves.

I agree...I do know him personally and I also know anyone with a brain would not believe everything that is reported....a crime of a sexual nature does not mean forceful violent rape.....to advocate violence and rape on him in prison from people who know 1% of the info is disgusting... I understand people feel strongly about this topic as a whole hiwever every case is different and nothing is black and white....however he was not conviced of RAOE it was sexual assault and defilement....my ex boyfriend could have been done for that but he never did anything wrong to me or anything I didnt want the simple fact is I was under age and if I decided after he left me to tell my parents and blame it all on him he'd be in prison aswell....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

PheonixLin wrote: »
    I agree...I do know him personally and I also know anyone with a brain would not believe everything that is reported....a crime of a sexual nature does not mean forceful violent rape.....to advocate violence and rape on him in prison from people who know 1% of the info is disgusting... I understand people feel strongly about this topic as a whole hiwever every case is different and nothing is black and white....however he was not conviced of RAOE it was sexual assault and defilement....my ex boyfriend could have been done for that but he never did anything wrong to me or anything I didnt want the simple fact is I was under age and if I decided after he left me to tell my parents and blame it all on him he'd be in prison aswell....

I can't buy this. The man was 34 and started being sexual with a 14 year old for three years. Whatever way you look at it he was the adult and took advantage of a child. It is black and white.

im not saying he should get a gold medal and a pat on the back Im saying advocating beatings and rape on him and branding him a violent rapist is a far cry from what actually happened...and not that it make a huge difference but hes 34Now and shes 19....hes was 29 when it started and she was 14 and he was 31 when they had sex and she was 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

But PhoenixLin a fourteen year old is a baby!
    I'm a teacher; that's a second-year student. Yuk! I'd be able to have "consensual" sex with many of the kiddies I teach (I just puked in my mouth) but I'd still deserve more than a six years maximum sentence. I don't condone people saying he deserved to get raped but he did do something despicable. And he did it over and over again to someone who was an innocent child. He knew her, it's not like he made a mistake or took her to be more mature than she was. He was an adult in a position where he could take advantage of her.
    I don't think we're "jumping on the band-wagon" at all.
    What happened to that girl is really sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This is one of those cases where I think the judge deserves to join the scumbag in prison. The sentence is an insult to the victim and all other victims of rape.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0719/man-sentenced-over-sexual-assault-of-teenage-girl.html

It is an insult to anyone that has been raped. The "judge" Isnt only not doing his job hes also sending a horrible message to rape victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Send him to Texas, one injection and it's all over.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Central_Texas_Man_Guilty_Of_Kidnapping_Torturing_Raping_Ex-Neighbor_139905383.html

One rape can get you life if you go about it brutally. 'Life' can mean different things in different sates. If I recall, in Texas it means 20 years before you can apply for parole(which is rarely granted), or 12 on good behavior. 'Life without the possibility of parole'(what this guy in the aforementioned article got) is 60 years before you can apply for parole.

To get the death penalty actually does take some effort in Texas. You generally have to murder someone, or rape a child, or be a willing accessory to such an offense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Texas#Capital_offenses

I can not say I am a big fan of the death penalty; mostly because I distrust government being competent enough to mete out this type of justice accurately and without bias. Don't get me wrong, I think some crimes do warrant the criminal forfeiting their life once they commit heinous acts.

I consider myself a Texan, having spent most my life there, so I often get an earful from Europeans regarding the Texas death penalty once they find this out, and also about the large amount of people in the US prison system(and this often leads in to the discussion that the overwhelming amount of them are minorities). You really can't have it both ways. You can't have tough justice and empty prisons.

This also reminds me of a discussion I had with a landlordess's(?) brother while I was living in England.

"Don't you find it sad that so many Americans are shot and killed by other armed Americans?" He asked.

"Maybe some of those folks had it coming?", I replied.

Wow, the look of horror on his face. And the slight tinge of guilt and sadness I felt as I realized I was only half joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Nellan

This is one of those cases where I think the judge deserves to join the scumbag in prison. The sentence is an insult to the victim and all other victims of rape.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0719/man-sentenced-over-sexual-assault-of-teenage-girl.html

Mother said to press "She was a brilliant student in first year in secondary" :confused: Aren't kids usually 12-13 years old on first year secondary????
    Why was the girl so vulnerable? What was going on at home to make her so vulnerable:mad: What kind of parent allows their child nowadays to be driven home alone by someone like this pervert paedo??
    Why did the child not feel she could turn to her mother????
    Where were the school in all this?
    Why weren't they, as 'Professionals' not questioning why the childs performance in school was changing?? Aren't they trained to recognise the signs,which seem to have been very obvious in this case.
    1. Behaviour Change i.e. Anger
    2. Decline in performance in school.

Sure everything this man did to this child was wrong & no punishment will ever give this child back what she has lost now
    BUT WHERE WERE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TRAINED TO SPOT 'THE SIGNS' like her teachers & family doctor & most especially the childs family.
    This went on for several years right under everyone's nose's andddddd is it legal in this country for a child to be employed so young??????

PheonixLin wrote: »
    I Know him too, and I know the VICTIM. And I know that what is being reported doesn't tell the half of the actual story. This story is much much worse than what is in the papers and the reason he is not up on Rape is because no one wanted to put the victim through any more hell than she has already been through and continues to go through. He was given a deal to spare the victim and there is absolutely no comparison to what you are talking about in your own experience and this case. You know nothing about this so don't presume to

One would wonder how many more victims he is responsible for??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Nellan wrote: »
    One would wonder how many more victims he is responsible for??

And will be responsible for once he gets out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Madness, pure madness.
    You suspect wrong the age of consent in China actually is 14 so it would not be a crime.And for all the China bashers...China is the safest most crime free country on earth as anybody who has been there will tell you.Crime ridden Ireland has no business lecturing to them :mad:Also bear in mind that the Irish consentual age of 17 would be statutory rape also in many other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Immediate reaction here that at least this creature got sent to jail, while an unknown number of priests and sisters committing worse offences run free. One sister awaiting trial in Sligo on 87 allegations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

seamus wrote: »
    I think what he means is that there is an obvious difference between statutory rape where he had sexual contact with an underage girl that many times, and violent rape where he may have used physical force against her or beaten her.

The sentence is a joke either way - he could have been the nicest guy in the world, but the girl clearly didn't want it to be happening. However in all cases the severity of the act has to be taken into account. I don't think anyone would disagree that there's a world of difference between a "consensual" sexual act with a minor and a violent rape of a minor.

But its somewhat unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Mother said to press "She was a brilliant student in first year in secondary" :confused: Aren't kids usually 12-13 years old on first year secondary????
    Why was the girl so vulnerable? What was going on at home to make her so vulnerable:mad: What kind of parent allows their child nowadays to be driven home alone by someone like this pervert paedo??
    Why did the child not feel she could turn to her mother????
    Where were the school in all this?
    Why weren't they, as 'Professionals' not questioning why the childs performance in school was changing?? Aren't they trained to recognise the signs,which seem to have been very obvious in this case.
    1. Behaviour Change i.e. Anger
    2. Decline in performance in school.

Sure everything this man did to this child was wrong & no punishment will ever give this child back what she has lost now
    BUT WHERE WERE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TRAINED TO SPOT 'THE SIGNS' like her teachers & family doctor & most especially the childs family.
    This went on for several years right under everyone's nose's andddddd is it legal in this country for a child to be employed so young??????

People aren,t clairvoyant.Teenagers are moody.Stuff can get missed

I Know him too, and I know the VICTIM. And I know that what is being reported doesn't tell the half of the actual story. This story is much much worse than what is in the papers and the reason he is not up on Rape is because no one wanted to put the victim through any more hell than she has already been through and continues to go through. He was given a deal to spare the victim and there is absolutely no comparison to what you are talking about in your own experience and this case. You know nothing about this so don't presume to

the DPP decides what charges are to be brought against the accused, after examining all evidence put to them, so your argument of no nobody wanting to put the victim through any more 'hell' just doesnt add up im afraid. they have already given all statements to the gardai by the time charges are brought.

unless anyone on here was part of the investigation team or privvy to all evidence then no-one knows for sure exactly all the facts.
    the DPP brings charges for that which there is evidence to convict. thats it. if the evidence isnt there, then charges are not brought. simple.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement