Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking in China

• 19-07-2012 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Just bought my first bike in China today; cost me 800 yuan with a lock and basket (including haggling); nice Giant model. Going to use it to cycle to work. Looks kinda like this, but with curved handlebars:

HUNTER_2.0_1.jpg

Cycled about 9km home from the shop to my apartment. Not half as scary an experience as I thought it would be, and twice as fun.

Any other China cyclists here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I rode across Sichuan and Yunnan this time last year. I've also ridden in Guangzhou and Hong Kong. China is quite a good country for cycling; obviously they are used to plenty of bikes there. I've ridden in 13 other Asian countries (I am riding around the world) and China would probably be one of the better ones. Only thing is, I wouldn't count on getting any help in China if you were unlucky enough to get into an accident there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Draper666

The first day I was in China I swore Id never cycle but now I think its safer than Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

Living in Shenzhen, Trained for a triathlon last summer, Was doing 90k cycles but alot of this involved finding a quiet road and looping around it many many many times! I dont enjoy cycling here though, traffic is a bit mental and a few too close calls with buses and scooters.

Would love to do a tour outside of the cities though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Draper666

I can imagine Shenzhen isnt the best place to cycle. There are a good few mountain bikers in Yangshuo havent done done any proper off road stuff but looks great

Advertisement