Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating 5th year (first year of leaving cert) Am I eligible?

Options
  • 19-07-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I already sat 5th year last year but I missed a lot of school and failed a lot of exams and I don't feel confident in sitting my leaving cert next year.

However I'm 17 (18 at Christmas) and I've done TY. Will that effect my chances of repeating?

Is there anything else that I also need to consider to repeat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

What are your subject (and at what levels) and what do you hope to do after your LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 heyhol

Math OL
    English HL
    Irish OL
    Home Ec HL
    Art HL
    Biology HL
    History HL (however im not sure if the subject lines permit this choice)

I want to go on into films and I need good points for the courses. I got all Ds and Es in my summer exams and thats NO WAY am i going to be able to get into my courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The leaving cert is 11 months away. If you are willing to put in the work there is no reason you can't sit in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

The leaving cert is 11 months away. If you are willing to put in the work there is no reason you can't sit in 2013
    I think thats a bit untrue. I could probably count the amount of days I missed in 5th year on one hand and I missed one day in sixth year, but I wouldn't be comfortable having to essentially do the entire thing in one year. 6th year is stressful enough without all that catching up, and I think it'd be worse if the OP were to go ahead and do the 2013 LC only to have to repeat in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 heyhol

There is no way that I could go ahead and do the leaving next year! I am totally legit about pulling my grades up and succeeding but I need to make sure that i will be able to.

• Advertisement

heyhol wrote: »
    Math OL
    English HL
    Irish OL
    Home Ec HL
    Art HL
    Biology HL
    History HL (however im not sure if the subject lines permit this choice)

I want to go on into films and I need good points for the courses. I got all Ds and Es in my summer exams and thats NO WAY am i going to be able to get into my courses.

Repeating 5th year is a waste of time and something you will regret, don't do it. You'd be better of going into LC next year, getting a mediocre score and repeating your actual LC the following year to get a much higher grade.
    Just say you repeat 5th year and end up getting 420 points in your 2014 LC. If you didn't repeat 5th year and went into 6th year and got say 390 points in your 2013 LC, you'd repeat and get atleast 450 in 2014. Basically my point is if its grades you're worried about, repeating 6th year would be a more clever decision than repeating 5th year. You are too old to repeat 5th year because chances are you might want to repeat you leaving cert anyway.

The only thing that warrant repeating 5h year in my honest opinion is if your still not 17 or if you're unhappy with your subjects and feel you need to do different ones. Otherwise its an absolute waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I think it really depends on your shcool's policy. Get on to them soon to ensure your place!
    A few people in my year repeated 5th year, and they seem to really get their act together 2nd time round.
    My friend did half of the LC year, then went back to 5th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends on whether the Department agree that the illness in 5th year would allow you to do a seventh second level year.
    Get your school to apply. If the Department don't agree, your school will not get funding for you.

Obviously private businesses will allow you repeat as much as you want if you keep paying, but in a publicly funded school, the decision is up to the DES.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Have you looked at non CAO courses such as B.I.F.E

• Advertisement
Advertisement