Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating / Sound Proofing Garage

• 19-07-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

I basically want to sound proof my garage so I can play my drums with out annoying the neighbours.

From what I hear 150mm is pretty much the standard for attic insulation? I'm wondering will this be sufficient for soundproofing. The garage has four solid walls, a steel door and then just the wooden trusses with no ceiling.

The plan is to put fiberglass insulation in between the trusses and then put up a ceiling. However I also know there is stuff called acoustic board and solid aero board which I am currently reseraching.

If anyone has any experience in soundproofing or would like to throw their two cents on how best to tackle this I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Adam.Hynes250

This company (http://www.acaraconcepts.com/) will give me the proper stuff they call 'phone wall'. They say it will reduce sound levels by 70dB so basically you wouldn't hear me playing away if I got it. Its 38 euro including VAT for 0.96 Sq. Meter. So if my garage roof has an area of 14.85 Meters Sq. its gonna cost me 587 euro if i fitted it myself.....

I'm a student and fairly broke so its out of the question at that price. My idea will be to achieve half or as much of the sound reduction as possible at a cheaper rate.

Any help on how to achieve this is appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi, The best material for soundproofing is Rockwool. I've done a few soundproofing jobs using Rockwool never any problems. One was a large pub where they wanted the Lounge insulated from the nightclub. Rock bands played there frequently and you could only hear them when someone left a door open.
    If you contact the company they will recommend the right product for you.
    I think there still in Ballymount walkinstown.

Advertisement