Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new €500 Desktop

Options
  • 19-07-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Howdy,

I'm looking to buy a prebuilt desktop for around the €500 mark if anyone could advise a good one or at least where I should be looking. Here's what i'm looking for:

Desktop
    Dvd (or Blu Ray) writer
    Windows 7
    NO monitor
    wireless keyboard & mouse (not a priority)
    best processor for this budget
    best gfx card I can get for this budget
    Needs hdmi output for tv connection and surround sound.

That's about the main priorities. It will primarily be a media player plugged into a tv and would be nice if it can play some games too.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

What resolution is your tv, HD ready or FUll HD? And what games do you want to play (old 2d/3d/newer/newest 3d)?

Are you planing on running anything intensive? Email, word, excel,internet and films are easily handled by the lowest celeron and pentium processors these days.

The obvious suggestion given the forum you are in is to build your own, bu the alternative would be to get a low end build and add anything extra like graphics cards etc. Prebuilt machines may not tend toward the quietest of machines though, which can be annoying during media playback.

I built something similar to what you are looking for for less than €600 a few months back, including an SSD as a boot drive and 2TB storage drive for media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Item|Price
    Intel Celeron G530 Box, LGA1155|€37.43
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€31.57
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€41.19
    LG GH22NS50/70/90 bare schwarz|€17.78
    ASRock B75 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€69.36
    4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9|€21.59
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€60.55
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 royalQueen, 1GB GDDR5|€193.41
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€491.87

Should leave you enough for wireless KB and mouse without going too much over budget.

Download windows 7 and use the trial until you can buy it or decide to get Windows 8.

Do you want a HTPC build though so it will go in a unit like a Xbox 360 or is a tower okay?

Oh and build it yourself much cheaper! Is your surround sound Optical or HDMI?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 boriordan

Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately this PC is not for me so building one is not a possibility, hence the request for a pre-built one.

I'm really looking for advice on the best places to buy a pre-built machine. I didn't see any suitable forum to ask this question.

The machine will be connected to a Full HD TV and storage isn't too much of a worry. Games are not a priority so just the best graphics card that this budget allows. Going over €500 will be acceptable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

HWVS will build it for you. There isn't really any decent system builders in Ireland. Mesh in the UK will do you a decent system at a markup of about 25% over building it yourself. There are some others. Have a look at the PC mags and try and find a few machines in round ups. They'll some times do a £500 desktop round up or what ever.

Advertisement